Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanting to do a season but don't want to work!

Poster: A snowHead
zammo wrote:
@Scarpa, out of curiosity, has your snake got a pet passport?

They don't need one, reptiles don't really carry much in the way of disease. But he stays home, my dad and my brother look after him, he only needs feeding once every three or four weeks so it's pretty easy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarpa, if you don't mind me asking what do you do in the summer, do you go back to the UK to a "real" job or stay in Austria?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lynseyf, I would like to settle in Austria but at the moment I am returning to the UK for work. I set up as a ltd company and take on contracts via an agency, there is plenty out there in my field.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
I am obviously a total granddad because I find it quite possible to spend an evening in a ski resort without doing any of the following: working, getting s4itfaced, or being bored
YMMV

Yebbut but you end up talking about Sumo wrestlers toilet habits....

I like Weathercam's euphemistic description of the grot collection in Objectif..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I think Objectif has moved down the road; who knows whether the grot survived the move?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What a great topic. Im thinking of the same next season. Its kinda long hols between changing jobs. I want to spend least possible amount of money, because Ive got lots to do in the summer, after that need to look for a new job in London. I have few personal projects to do on evenings, so should be fine with lots of free time, also want to learn German. The Austria looks great to me.
The Tirol snow card is 717 euro for 87! ski resorts (http://www.snowcard.tirol.at/)
Possibly is best to drive from uk, but not sure about restrictions being more than 3 months abroad.
I think the only thing I need is to find some cheap place to stay with good access to snowy places. And of course find some good friends to do offpiste runs.

Check this out:
The Powder Pilgrimage from Joey Howell
https://vimeo.com/106140437
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ed48, Gimme a shout if you are out towards the Amade valley.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did a season last year and ended up making plenty of friends to ski with.

I 'worked from home' whilst there so typically did a couple of hours most days.

I was never bored. If you book early enough and have the space and inclination then loads of mates will come to visit too. Its amazing what the lure of free accommodation does!

I reckon I was only spending two or three hundred a week once accommodation and lift pass was taken care of.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow wrote:
Hokkaido

You can rent a place in the Niseko Resort Area for about £500 / month.

Get a car, get here for Opening Day, get up early and you'll have no problem finding people to ski with.

Sooo tempting.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris,
I bummed 4 seasons in Tignes - 2005/06 to 2008/09. I had no worries about making friends, though those who had to spend the day working could get a bit jealous when telling them how good the powder was in X or how we were the first down off-piste run Y that season.
If it's off-piste you're looking for, the Espace Killy has loads.
Having transport means you can get around the other resorts in the area you end up in & can be a cost saver for shopping 'down the mountain' - and being able to both these won't harm you in the making friends stakes, either.
£10k enough? A lot depends on you, but for my 4 bumming seasons I reckoned that was the annual budget.
If you're interested in Tignes let me know & I'll point you in the direction to get some ideas about costs & you can judge for yourself.

Skibum - the job all seasonnaires really want! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well there's been some cracking advice on this thread so far, and some excellent tales/experiences which I can read into a little more moving forwards. Thank you all for your input!

I must admit, Mike talking about renting in the Niseko area for £500/month seems mighty tempting but the hassle of getting a car seems a bit of a pain especially with the need to sell it on after, but it would make travelling to Rusutsu (my favourite resort ever) and others in the surrounding area much easier. It's good to know that finding people to ski with won't be a problem, presumably they're English speaking? My Japanese doesn't extend further than two words! Japan really does seem like the dream trip as it would be a massive adventure.

Has anyone got any experience of seasons in Canada/BC at all? I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has, it all seems a little quiet on that front at the moment!

Lots of excellent advice about Europe. Short list for Europe seems like a big resort in Austria, Chamonix or Tignes. You're quite right Kenzie - having a car will make life very much easier if I'm wanting to journey from one resort to another or even just for nipping down the mountain as you say. Thanks for the budget tips. It seems like between £5000 and £10000 depending on your lifestyle Wink

I realise I'm amazingly lucky to be able to be a professional ski bum for a season at my age (it's only through scrimping and saving and cutting back on any luxuries that I can afford to!), and unfortunately it's probably the only time I'll get to do it before I have to start taking my career seriously! So I want to make it the best I possibly can, so thanks for all the help in answering my questions. I'm sure there will be more to come.

As for accommodation, has everyone tried to find their own space/flat? Or do you tend to find some form of shared accommodation?

Thanks again!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chrisssyg wrote:

Has anyone got any experience of seasons in Canada/BC at all? I'd be keen to hear from anyone who has, it all seems a little quiet on that front at the moment!

Yes, did a couple in Whistler, all skiing, no working.
Went so well we ended up living here eventually (if you factor buying a place in North Vancouver into the equation, they were quite expensive seasons! wink )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I did it again, I'm not entirely sure I'd go to Whistler.Its great and there's lots going on and all that, but there are other places that are a bit less crazy (must be getting old! was 29 when we did the first season).
I'd possibly think about Nelson or Rossland, smaller places (particularly Rossland) and more remote, but the skiing there rocks and they are quite funky places
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chrisssyg wrote:
Well there's been some cracking advice on this thread so far, and some excellent tales/experiences which I can read into a little more moving forwards. Thank you all for your input!

I must admit, Mike talking about renting in the Niseko area for £500/month seems mighty tempting but the hassle of getting a car seems a bit of a pain especially with the need to sell it on after, but it would make travelling to Rusutsu (my favourite resort ever) and others in the surrounding area much easier. It's good to know that finding people to ski with won't be a problem, presumably they're English speaking? My Japanese doesn't extend further than two words! Japan really does seem like the dream trip as it would be a massive adventure.

Renting for the season is possible. More expensive than buying but less hassle.

Plenty of english speaking workers and non-workers to ski with and share petrol costs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chrisssyg wrote:
As for accommodation, has everyone tried to find their own space/flat? Or do you tend to find some form of shared accommodation?

Thanks again!

Quick answer - you can do either - depends on what is available in your chosen resort, and whether you want a bit of personal space.
eg
http://www.tignes.co.uk/seasonaires.htm

http://www.chaletchardons.com/hotel-lodgings.html

All the following off this Facebook group page, referring to this season:-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/670519632962525/

"I still have a bed available in Lavachet for the season. 4 people in a 2 bedroom appt, washing machine, dishwasher, internet. Pm if interested"
"We have a studio to rent for the winter in Val Claret. Suitable for 2 people. Email contact@appartatignes.com"
"I have 2 apts in Val Claret to rent for the season... contact joannesearles@hotmail.com if you know of anyone interested..."
"My friend has a 27m2 apartment to rent for the season in Tignes Les Boisses. Its has a separate double bed (cabin style) loads storage. And sofa bed in lounge that can be a double or 2 singles 6500 euros. Washing machine, Internet etc. all brand new. Message Louise France for info"
"We have 1 spot available in a 4 share apartment in Lavachet. PM me if interested."
"So out of interest are there any people on here that are in need of accommodation for the upcoming Winter as I may have found a nice place that sleeps 4, so basically if 3 other people need somewhere we can get a place in Val Claret and it would be around £1700 for the whole season I believe includes bills aswell..."
"Recently refurbished apartment available to rent for this winter or on an annual basis. Ideal for a couple, but could sleep 3 comfortably. 5 min walk from Maison De Tignes/Aero Ski. Pm me for further info"
ski holidays
Chris

I don't think you should rule out Canada. If you can get a Canadian work permit (limited availability but application window opens shortly) you could do worse snow wise than base in Revelstoke or Kicking Horse for example. Both these give great inbounds powder and heli and cat also nearby. You could rent a 2 bedroom for the season and sublet a room to suitable skiers. You could consider a ski instructor course as many will stay on in resort all season and be a ready formed ski network. If you get a work permit you can also pick up dome bar work or similar.

I say Canada because it gives you reliable season long powder, is English speaking, has friendly locals and is less crevasse ridden meaning you can ski solo if you want or need to.

you can PM me for more info. Was in Japan with you I think.
snow conditions
I am in the same position that I am going to France for next season by myself, but with friends out for a few weeks here and there.

I will spit my time between Chamonix and Bride Les Baines to allow the widest amount of skiing possible!

Its reassuring from the comments to know that others have enjoyed doing a similar thing, and I will hope to catch up with other snowheads out there....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy