Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginners resort suggestions?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Planning a trip first week of Feb, this time with quite a few people new to skiing and some that have not really started yet.

Looking for resort suggestions please Smile

- good beginners ski area with a reasonable ski school
- good nightlife, restaurants and bars, I think a few would prefer to eat out in the evenings
- a few activities other than skiing! Shock horror I know ..... But just incase a few don't take to it

Open to any suggestions really. I've thought of a few places but would not mind some help with this one as I learnt a while back and not sure of the best resort now for beginners etc.

Thanks very much.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpe d'Huez - LOADS of green runs down to the village.

And it has a Folie Douce now as well.

Plenty of off slope activities like ice driving, skidooing and helicopter trips.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For big resorts I reallly like lesArcs for beginners - lots of very accessible runs from all the villages (except maybe 1800 main base, the last pitch into town is a bit steep)

If mostly beginners though a smaller/cheaper place might be better - Montgenevre? Serre Chevalier? Andorra is also a thought - grand valira is very forgiving skiing and english instruction. The not-arabba side of sella ronda seemed very nice too for beginners (arraba a bit steep).

aj xx
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arinsal in Andorra might suit.

Excellent beginners area, links to Pal for progressing and good ski schools with quite a few BASI instructors.

Some good nightlife and eating out options.

May be a bit limited for other activities, though (I didn't really explore this aspect, but others may well know better).

Serre Chevalier isn't a bad option along with Montgenevre with both offering what you're suggested you're looking for. Saalbach-Hinterglemm might also suit quite well, with excellent eating out options, great apres and a very good beginners area that is easy to access and very close to the early apres scene.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just seen this on the Vallnord website for other activities in Arinsal http://www.vallnord.com/en/the-resort/technical-data
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great thanks vey much for the replies. I'll have a look at them now
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ina Austria Wagrain/Flachau would be a good resorts for beginners.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@a.j., I disagree, The last bit down to 1800 is almost flat. It is a lot steeper going down to 1600
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sinkrate, the SkiWelt area (Scheffau, Ellmau, Söll, Westerndorf) has a good range of activities as well as excellent beginner slopes and progression. The Wildschonau, particularly Niederau is another one that would suit beginners and intermediates. Lots of TOs offer trips to those places so you can choose your options accordingly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@Sinkrate, the SkiWelt area (Scheffau, Ellmau, Söll, Westerndorf) has a good range of activities as well as excellent beginner slopes and progression. The Wildschonau, particularly Niederau is another one that would suit beginners and intermediates. Lots of TOs offer trips to those places so you can choose your options accordingly.

+1 for Westendorf
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all great suggestions.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any tips if we were to look at going to the Dolomites? Somewhere located on the superski pass so maybe I could go off for a day or two? Corvara?

Or another region around Madonna or Tonale?

Never been to Italy so open to suggestions / experience of the region. I'd like to get away from the French resorts this year if possible for a change.

Again, thanks very much for any help.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Plagne - beaucoup motorway pistes with gentle slopes. Stay out of Les Arcs or I will run you over - just saying. Andorra used to be good but it's a bit Ibiza on the slopes now - too many crap snowboarders wearing day glow Decathlon nursing mutli-night hangovers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you can catch me your more than welcome to try and run me over. Haha. Like to stay away from france this year tbh I did paradiski last year and may well go back later in the season as it was a good area. For this trip though would not mind something a bit different.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
@a.j., I disagree, The last bit down to 1800 is almost flat. It is a lot steeper going down to 1600

? Charmettogger one is okay, but the run going back to 1800 from that side is a nasty icy drop, then a flat I think? Round the back of the transarc maybe? I've not stayed in 1800 in a few years though so my memory could be playing up.

1600 is steeper overall, but more consistent gradient, wider and not so icey (ime).
latest report
@Sinkrate, tbh. in my worldly wise opinion, coloured by not being able to remember learning to ski, as beginners or just not beginners, your needs are actually pretty basic - at least, mostly, for the first couple of weeks.

I'd focus more on a characterful resort with enough to be fun when you're not skiing.

Austria might be well worth a good look.
latest report
Went to Val di Fassa a couple of years ago. Beautiful region and easy slopes for beginners to progress to once off the nursey slopes. Excellent value on the mountain for food and drinks too Little Angel
snow conditions
Saas Fee is an obvious choice:
1. Fantastic nursery slopes with no through traffic, snowsure as at 1650M
2. Stunning village
3. Good restaurants
4. While the area is limited, there are some challenges and good off piste options locally
5. There is a good chance that beginners/second seekers will get all the way up the mountain during the week
6. The snow is always great due to the altitude
7. Choice of good ski schools (Eskimo or Optimum)
snow conditions
thanks zikomo / Katy123 much appreciated
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy