Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring in the Lake District

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone done it? I've always thought heading up and back down Skiddaw via the tourist path from the car park out the back of Latrigg would be good fun.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Once got overtaken by a group of lads running with skis along Striding Edge with skis on their backs to get first tracks, and as we walked down in knee deep powder they came flying past, looked awesome. Never done it but it'd be a great day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its the only place worse than Scotland for ski touring, I should know I live here, but not in winter Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nevis1003 wrote:
Its the only place worse than Scotland for ski touring

Get a grip. More than 80% of the planet's land area is mountain free, and of the remaining 20%, almost all of that will be inaccessible for ski tourers. I'm also pretty sure there are better places than the French Alps for ski touring too ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doesn't alter the fact the Lakes and Scotland are pretty crap for touring, not to say you can't get a good day , but generally crap. Having been brought up in the highlands and done a few seasons there, climbing and skiing, I know just how crap it can be and they far outweigh the occasional good days.
As for the Lakes would you book a ski touring holiday there...or Scotland for that matter.
People don't because it can be so awful, if it's good go and you might be lucky...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm from Northern England so a weekend to the Lakes is a common occurrence, thought it might be a good idea to throw the skis in the back as an alternative to just going for a winter walk. I can't imagine it's great for hut to hut trips, but there must be a few good lines dotted around if you are willing to skin up / hike to the summit then ski back down?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the Lakes the cover is generally pretty poor, very occasionally in exceptional snow cover it might be worth skinning up if you live there, as I do, but more often than not it's not worth it. Hence I spend the winter in the Alps. The tow at Raise is not recommended, if cover is good it gets skied out pretty quick ,your better to walk up elsewhere, but beware of rocks etc just under the surface...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nevis1003 wrote:
Its the only place worse than Scotland for ski touring, I should know I live here, but not in winter Toofy Grin

Gotta love people who fluff their own ego by convincing themselves they are too good for skiing in jockland
... Or indeed the lakes

Nothing wrong with having fun in your own back yard

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 26-11-14 21:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Haggis_Trap, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I take it you are a fairly uneducated English person referring to Scotland as jockland, never heard a fellow Scot call it that before. Your English doesn't seem good enough to have been educated in Scotland either.
I've done plenty climbing and touring in the Highlands as I learnt there at school, just prefer not to waste my time when its crap.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nevis1003, bit of a miss there Laughing wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A GAPPER in our midst Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well, regardless of the relative merits, they're better than my local area. I'm currently 7m above sea level. If we get snow (and we did once) I could put my skis on aim towards the sea and I have a 7m descent in 1000m.
Sadly, I'm nearer to the alps than Scotland but given the chance I'd have a go: there or the Lake District or Wales. In fact I've scoped some runs around Aberdare.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
henzerani wrote:
... but given the chance I'd have a go: there or the Lake District or Wales. In fact I've scoped some runs around Aberdare.

Had plenty of great turns off The Graig, The Darren and The Batall in Hirwaun Smile

Even dropped down to Treherbert once and lived to tell the tale Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Pennines near Woodhead Pass, 27th February 2005:

latest report
If there is snow laying, you can ski tour more-or-less anywhere in the UK. I've skinned up, and skied down parts of the South Downs Way when there is cover. Of course the Alps, or Scotland or Hemel Hempstead are more reliable for snow, but when it's here I try to make use of it Happy
ski holidays

I had a good day last February, skinned up to Raise, had a few runs of the tow and then a good run back down. There were quite a few ski tourers about that day. It's just a case of making the most of the conditions when they come up.

The photo is looking along the ridge, Helvellyn is off to the left. The descent to Red Tarn is on my list of things to do.
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:
I take it you are a fairly uneducated English person referring to Scotland as jockland, never heard a fellow Scot call it that before. Your English doesn't seem good enough to have been educated in Scotland either.
I've done plenty climbing and touring in the Highlands as I learnt there at school, just prefer not to waste my time when its crap.

Laughing

as an uneducated English person, I can assure you Haggis Trap isn't one of ours Laughing

back to topic - if it's got snow on it why not? I have skied down Camden Road in London in the past. I reckon the Lakes can beat that pretty easily. Usual winter rules apply though - pretty sure I have read about people getting avalanched up there. not a common occurrence but don't underestimate our little hills
latest report
@altis, where exaclty was that picture, looks amazing for the penines, tried googling it but no joy?
ski holidays
@thestoney6, somewhere on Bleaklow with Saddleworth Moor in the background. I can't remember exactly where.

More Wanderings around Woodhead in 2010:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1427486

And in the Berwyns, also 2010:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1417396

We've also been from Woodhead along Howden Edge then south past Margery Hill with some fine skiing down into Howden Dean with lots of blue hares bounding about. And also from Snake Pass north to Hern Stones and back. It's all generally flat going - more suited to x-country skis really.
ski holidays
@altis, Interesting to read about the Berwyns. I've been up a couple of times to scope it out, but from the Pistyll Rhaeadr side. The trouble is the lane in would be rubbish if it did snow, at least in my car.

Your way through the Tanat Valley is beautiful, with some steep lines North facing lines should it ever snow properly.
snow conditions
Yep, we've walked a couple of times out of Pistyll Rhaeadr too.

The recurring problem when skiing near here is, while there can be descent snow on the ridge, as soon as you drop down the snow often gets thinner while the springy vegitation undernear gets thicker.
latest report
@Mike Pow, excellent. So they are doable. I need snow and a change in attitude: I have to believe going up mountain is as much a part of the experience as coming down.
snow report
I skied Raise Good Friday last year (2013)then did Swirl How - Coniston Old Man round hiking on the Saturday or Sunday. Was a bit regretful about not humping the ski gear up Prison band as the descent down to Levers Water was deep deep pow drifted in. Would have been epic.

As I think I've said elsewhere I've always wanted to ski Blencathra - frontside facing south to St John's In the Vale is quite grassy but steep . Hartsop looks like it would be a good starting point for some touring around High Street/Threshwaite Cove area
snow report
@nevis1003,
Try the link in Haggis_Trap signature if you think he is ignorant of matters Skiing in Scotland. He knows a little about education in Jockland as well though I been know to disagree with him on some points., wink
snow report
I would love to ski in the Lake District - a visit to Raise is on my bucket list.
Went walking down there 2 summers ago - was really surprised how rugged Scaffel Pike was.
Some great pubs as well.

There is a dude called Gordie who posts videos from Raise and Hellvelyn.
Got chatting to him up Glencoe once - the only speed flyer I have ever seen up there!
This is worth a look....

http://vimeo.com/m/3008876
ski holidays
He's a snowhead too.
snow report
@altis, @Haggis_Trap, I guess he'd have to be a snowhead. That last minute or so I never saw any snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All you need is some imagination:

http://youtube.com/v/F9kOXlOmNUY&list=UUsBd_5hR7D9PwKMaY0OihSA

http://youtube.com/v/HDoyb8lvsgo&list=UUsBd_5hR7D9PwKMaY0OihSA
snow report
henzerani wrote:
@Mike Pow, excellent. So they are doable. I need snow and a change in attitude: I have to believe going up mountain is as much a part of the experience as coming down.

With enough snow, definitely.

I've skied from the top of The Graig in the farmer's fields and through the wood to the top of Monk St, then down the pavement all the way to the Catholic Church.

You from Aberdare?

I'm Mike Richards from Brynawel, Pendarren St. 48 years old.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, no sadly not. My wife's family live in Mountain Ash, so we come up that way quite often. Same age though!! Although inside my head I'm still 13. We live in Southampton - flat, warm and sea level. The only steep bits we have are the artificial slopes. But if there is any decent snow this year you might hear from me . . .
snow conditions
well in reasonable snow you can use the tow for some height and/or skin there .....

http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

Founded in 1936, the Lake District Club operates a 360 metre button tow on Raise, next to Helvellyn in the Lake District National Park. An hour's walk from the mines at Glenridding, Raise is positioned for the best snow conditions in the Lakes and the tow gives access to a substantial part of the mountain. There are up to nine distinct pistes available, depending on prevailing conditions, the longest of which is almost a mile. Raise's ungroomed pistes provide for a unique experience, with a total of sixty days of skiing enjoyed by members during the 2012/13 season.
snow conditions
I think there may be some hope! Very Happy it may involve driving to pick out spots on the day by the looks of it, but could be good!
ski holidays
henzerani wrote:
@Mike Pow, no sadly not. My wife's family live in Mountain Ash, so we come up that way quite often. Same age though!! Although inside my head I'm still 13. We live in Southampton - flat, warm and sea level. The only steep bits we have are the artificial slopes. But if there is any decent snow this year you might hear from me . . .

Cool.

Always fancied skiing the burn above Cefnpennar.

Would love to, but I'll be in Japan until mid-April.

Fingers crossed for you Smile
latest report
@Mike Pow, shouldn't lose too much sleep, think you are in the right place! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy