Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden obertauern

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi we are a group of 8 adults going away on 21st march for a week.we have found some good deals in obertauern but I just wonder if with 4-5 experienced skiers and boarders if the terrain will be enough of an area as I have seen the vertical drop is not so much here. Then thought maybe solden but will the snow be so good at that time there? Or is here anywhere else you could suggest? (There are. 2 beginners in the group) any help would be great thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obertauern would be better for your beginners and yes the verticals are small. There are some more interesting bits for the experienced skiers such as Gamsleiten II though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to Obertauern couple of times and currently in Solden. I ski and board at intermediate level.

Obertauern is great for families and quite upmarket, skiing/ boarding is mainly cruising and you can do "the circuit" in half a day. Limited challenging stuff.

Solden has greater variety of terrain to go at. Reputation as rowdy seemed somewhat overstated to me.

Solden got glacier so guaranteed snow (but only blues up there) whereas Obertauern is just well placed and almost always has really good conditions.

Going late March and conditions will be key, if it were my money I'd go to Obertauern - great cake shops if all else fails. I may be an intermediate skier/ boarder but I like to think of myself as expert at eating cake Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rich_the_lionheart wrote:

Solden has greater variety of terrain to go at. Reputation as rowdy seemed somewhat overstated to me.

+1 thought it was fine

Rich_the_lionheart wrote:
I

Solden got glacier so guaranteed snow (but only blues up there)

WC GS course is quite a steep black, but in great condition to be honest, good fun for some carving on steeps
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obertauern has the benefit of being a lot more convenient for the slopes, and a really good ski school, plus confidence building runs for intermediates. Difficult runs are limited, although the area is quite interesting as you can ski pretty well all of it. I've always found the
'Après' in Obertauern pretty good, it seems to benefit from something of a micro climate, and is generally snow sure. Really strong skiers will however struggle to make the area last a full 6 days of hard skiing. Whilst the vertical is limited to about 500m this doesn't really present a problem as the terrain and runs are pretty varied.
Solden has a larger area and more variety, and a larger area, Après is good, but not overly rowdy. The Area would last a full six days with some great long runs. Glaciers add extra interest/novelty value, but the runs on these are not particularly interesting. The majority of the area is intermediate, with a couple of choice black runs, a decent off piste if conditions permit (be careful on this as snow packs seem to be a little unstable this season). The altitude normally ensures a good snow record throughout the season. Ski schools are really good too.

Personally I'd got to Solden....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy