Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Filing the base edge

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Do others struggle with the base edge on boards its the most time consuming part of a service with my low level of experience so I must be doing something wrong or using the wrong grade of stone and file.
Only conclusion I can come too is the file and stone needs to be new and "exactly" the right grade I think this may be where I am failing on the base edge, devils in the detail and all that.
I can feel the file cutting sometimes yet other times its like I need the whole edge stoned first before the file will cut or even touch it .
Finding its frustrating and spyderjons course is like going to Europe up in notts although I am looking at this as more likely .
So far the skiman base edge tool has not helped at all and a file with bit of tape is more effective.

If you can get a board base ground first it must be so bloody easy after that but that's not always possible or needed and this is diy.
Does anyone have any advice on the diy base edge work in regards to files stones in use ?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 25-11-14 1:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edge and Wax allegedly do a tuning/prep course down south. I did enquire once but got no response...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
check out Johns website @ www.jonsskituning.co.uk - loads of great advice. You shouldn't need to mess too much with the base edge - a stone should take care of any damage and a light file to clean up followed by a fine diamond stone.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Resist the temptation to take much out of your base edge or you'll eat into the base itself. It's not like the side edge where you can just keep chomping away at it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charlie I want too mess with rock damaged base edges and rust covered old junkers so as to get better at it.
The base edge just seems more differcult far more time consuming

Atlis Yes exactly I leave the base steel edge with rock marks still showing as filing over 1.5degrees angle is not the answer its a future base grind.

The wide boards are not flat I suspect, some noses are 320mm wide waists 263mm they are not toothpicks that's for sure skis seem far easier to work the base edge.

You need the right sharp tools to diy this base edge once rock damage case hardens it yet you must not increase the base edge angle ?.
Common sense says a base grind is the best answer but that's the local butcher of bagdad or a 20km round trip twice not a diy option .

I am thinking the devil is in the detail and having the right selection, grade files and stones just to do minor base edge work..... is all that's possible diy?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy