Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski glasses

Poster: A snowHead
This may seem like a stupid topic, but it's one of the things that winds me up every year, misting of the sunglasses. Now can anyone recommend, link if possible a pair of decent sunglasses or a brand which doesn't steam up while skiing? I am willing to pay up to 100 quid on the glasses if it solves this problem.
I am not sure if it may even be something to do with my bandana thing that I wear around neck/mouth blowing the breath upwards, but if someone has a solution to this problem,, it would be greatly appreciated, once again sorry if this seems ridiculous, just I am not a massive fan of wearing goggles unless it's a whiteout. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you pay me £100 to solve the problem? (I can...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Huge possibility
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gethin89, 22 posts in 2 1/2 years and you are asking about misting glasses i smell a post count increase for the tombola rat (not that it will make a rats back bottom of a difference who wins).

Or it could actually be a genuine question and if so then I unreservedly apologise.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know what the tombola rat is, and it is a genuine question, any help appreciated.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear goggles when skiing. Sunglasses when off skis. Sunglasses do not protect your eyes from the airflow - wind, goggle do. How many times have I witnessed skiers who made the mistake and wore sunglasses at the base alone, especially at the end of the day, squinting, eyes closed - rubbing their eyes, tired..............? More than I can even begin to accurately count..............
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gethin89, my partner got us both some sunglasses that are a kind of hybrid. Bizarrely, She got them from our excellent local opticians. Google tells me they are the Adidas Elevation Climacool. They are excellent, the design avoids the problem of th airflow mentioned above. There is little to no misting. i still pack goggles and use them if it is snowing but at all other times these Adidas sunnies are brilliant. And yes they work with or without helmet. Price wise they are not cheap but I love them. We have had them for nearly ten years so they've lasted well.

By the way, I think your bandana is probably implicated in your problem as you suspect if it is covering the mouth.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't breath so hard Toofy Grin

I usually wear a balaclava which covers my mouth and nose. If I breath out a bit too hard my goggles and sunglasses momentarily mist up but clear very quickly. This only seems to happen when stationary though and not when I'm moving. Goggles are Oakley A frames, sunglasses are Oakley half-wire.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gethin89, it's your bandanna thing. Doesn't matter what glasses you get, you'll have the same problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't get on with goggles either.they always steam up.
So I have wrap around sunglasses which are perfect unless it's snowing hard.
My trick is to use anti fog liquid which I use on my swimming goggles.A small bottle is less than £5 buy from any sports shop or online.use a couple of drops,rub on glasses and usually lasts most of day.
If you're still steaming and misting only solution is take off goggles,start skiing and wave goggles around until clear!!
Happy skiing. Blush
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gethin89, just ignore me I'm a grumpy old sod sometimes (especially after a long day at work and a couple of sherberts).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No problem Smile! Cheers for the replies, I may buy a decent pair of sunglasses for christmas, and some of that anti fog liquid. I do breathe very heavily which doesnt help, and like someone mentioned above, the bandana needs to go really, just need to look into something else to keep my neck/chin warm if its a cold one.
The last two years in Andorra we have gone in January and apart from one day each week it has literally snowed heavily every day, so the temptation to wrap everything up warm is always there Smile

I will look into them addidas glasses, that seems like a good investment if you have had them for ten years
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gethin89, Other Snowheads are already bored of me fighting against the goggle hegemony, but my view is that in many circumstances sunglasses are more comfortable and more practical than goggles. Wear what you want. They both have some practical issues, but one of the minor sngs with sunglasses that I find is not so much that they steam up, but that when I exceed about 0.026 Mach then the air whistles around the sides and makes my eyes stream. The solution to my problem, and I suspect yours, was a pair of padded sunglasses. Far cheaper than your £100 budget. This sort of thing........ http://www.amazon.co.uk/anti-fog-sunglasses-complete-microfibre-storage/dp/B00OD8416E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416560339&sr=8-4&keywords=Padded+sunglasses&tag=amz07b-21

I'm sure you can find better quality, more expensive ones if you like, but these may well solve your problem.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 21-11-14 13:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I don't get on with goggles either.they always steam up.

Proper ones shouldn't.

If they are, I bet you take them off and put them on your head on lifts, etc. Then they steam up. Goggle should either be on your face, or off your head entirely.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for the Adidas Elevation Climacool

Have a look at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112801 and http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2463029&highlight=#2463029

Not cheap but I've had mine for about 8 years and can be used all year round.
snow report
As above I find goggles really uncomfortable and prefer sun glasses.

Gethin89 wrote:
I am willing to pay up to 100 quid on the glasses if it solves this problem.
That might be your problem.

For decent coatings on decent glasses you can pay at least £100 for just the lenses. Mind I take it youre not after prescription.
snow report
Always goggles, better peripheral vision, less eye watering/ eye freeze and my Oakley A Frames never steam up unless I face plant then I get a spare pair on rather than try clean out. Also I recommend Polarised lenses. Sunglasses for lunch stops and never with helmet! wink
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Gethin89, This sort of thing........ http://www.amazon.co.uk/anti-fog-sunglasses-complete-microfibre-storage/dp/B00OD8416E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416560339&sr=8-4&keywords=Padded+sunglasses&tag=amz07b-21

I'm sure you can find better quality, more expensive ones if you like, but these may well solve your problem.

Anyone know if you could get these 're-glazed' with prescription lenses? I have crappy eyes with a SPH of nearly -5 so most of the wrap around ones that can be glazed only go to -4. I have some a bit like these with inserts but never been 100% happy (three surfaces to steam up instead of one!). Other problem I have is when you arrive at a a mountain hut you need to take the shades off as its too dark - at which point I am basically blind so need to carry a pair of clear lenses too. I worry about breaking them in a fall... But I figure some reaction lenses in these might work?

But I can't see in the pictures how the lenses are fitted? No screws...

I don't mind that they may be obviously glazed..
ski holidays
@polc1410, The ones above are just a very cheap, simple version. If you go for some better quality ones you may be in luck although I have no idea how the opticians would know what shape/outline to grind the lenses to. I suspect there is a proper/purpose made solution out there somewhere.

Ignore all those fools who insist on wearing goggles regardless of the weather Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Who wants to look like this?

latest report
If you can get hold of some Essilor OPTIFOG solution it is excellent and will minimize your problem. It is supposed to be sold with the OPTIFOG lenses which are quite expensive but works superbly on its own when applied to normal lenses.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy