Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet...but not a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
At the risk of a slightly cryptic thread title I'm looking for some advice on helmets.

I've skiied for 5 or 6 years now and never worn one - but have accepted that I really should be taking the plunge and getting one before the worst happens, however I'm really not a fan of wearing anything on my head generally.

I love the feel of the wind in my hair as you're bombing down a slope, and my hat tends to come off as soon as temperatures permit it. Basically I'm worried that a helmet will block out a lot of the sensations that I love about skiing - however safety-wise I need to protect myself with something.

So really I'm looking for a helmet that offers protection obviously - but isn't particularly heavy and will impede on my senses as little as possible. A helmet that I barely notice wearing would be perfect!

Just wondering if anyone has such a thing or any suggestions - Want to get something that I will actually be 100% happy to wear and not be tempted to leave at home when the weather's nice - otherwise what's the point?

Would appreciate any reviews or suggestions from anyone who has anything that might fit the bill.

Thanks,
Sn0wSt0rm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not that I've really ever come across - Although I've seen an impact resistant beanie before not convinced they'll do the business when it comes to the crunch...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sn0wst0rm, if you don't actually want to wear a helmet, then don't!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've found that helmets are so light that I forget I've got one on, although they do keep your head warmer so get one with adjustable vents. Myself, I like Cebe's offerings.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I started wearing a helmet a couple of seasons ago, mainly to keep my wife happy. Have to say that i wouldn't now ski without it as it's just like wearing a hat that doesn't get blown off your head. I'm totally bald so need to wear a hat most of the time anyway when I'm skiing. Salomon Ranger is what I've got and the adjustable vents are really handy. Find one that fits and give it a go. I bet you won't regret it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helmets are getting lighter and lighter thesedays, if you get something with adjustable venting that should help with getting to hot/cold, also then you should be able to feel 'the wind in your hair' Laughing Personally I like the new Smith Vantage top end of the market though but has good venting by the looks of it and light
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This has given me an idea for a helmet headband!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kesone1, COOL! Would that be this idea...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Richard_Sideways, I had something much more clunky and impractical in mind!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Then I stand corrected and shan't get in your way.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To be fair my hair is thinning by the year too i hate to admit. Think the only way to go is just to try on as many as possible and see what I can get on with.

The vantage looks sweet but again best to try them out first no doubt. Sure there must be some more middle range stuff that might fit the bill.

I'll post if I find anything I like.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No experience, but I saw this mountaineering helmet http://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/Helmets/SIROCCO linked from a ski tour equipment list.

Even if you don't notice it, others might with that colour.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I personally love the Sweet Protection helmets but not sure if any of them offer variable vents, my old shape trooper doesnt but it is very light and comfy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to have lots of problems overheating in helmets - I used to be able to literally pour the sweat out of them - until I switched to a POC Skull light. There aren't lots of vents but it does have a properly thought out ventilation system which allows air to flow through it and take the hot sweaty air out the back keeping you cool but not cold and perfectly dry.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I personally love the Sweet Protection helmets but not sure if any of them offer variable vents, my old shape trooper doesnt but it is very light and comfy

The new trooper and igniter both have 2 adjustable vents at the front
ski holidays
I've got a Smith helmet that vents really well (and the vents can close if the weather is bad). I find it very comfortable.
similar to this one
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/12907216487232775914?q=smith+ski+helmets&biw=1280&bih=891&sqi=2&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.80185997,d.d2s&tch=1&ech=1&psi=oRVvVOagI8rgaIKlgqAD.1416566178251.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX_6vUTf0E7yzwaXYT_sTd1lxeJ58CaMsCdeprN41NZYcD1QiFgw92mJ-zxrzg_15rOeMLeT7t6FwSuNyfeJ6C5ekSyQEtaJZMWvtCeWMk64EEdgEIBIZAFPVH72ICzmavblx7XoLg9sZ1rEcRN_0xw&ei=thVvVNbXE4vYaqbOgogI&ved=0CJsDEKYrMBM

Quite a lot of people seem to choose helmets with few apparent vents like say this
https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/9576176565433538288?q=smith+ski+helmets&biw=1280&bih=891&sqi=2&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.80185997,d.d2s&tch=1&ech=1&psi=oRVvVOagI8rgaIKlgqAD.1416566178251.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX7NViKJpJuQQjqVB1pQsNwTxSOmkUpYuSZgrJ0a-GzBBHLOvIU18KAF25VWbGVpyAFpeKnEIL6dOcBQMWZXTwrssU6JGJXtOEZAxj1pULrpg4FxULhIZAFPVH70Uukq41NJvT2Sa-Dnm5gK58awzcg&ei=thVvVNbXE4vYaqbOgogI&ved=0CL0BEKkrMAU

But I'd get too steamy I think - I run pretty hot when I'm exercising.

That said, if you were dead set on maximising wind in the hair etc then you could get a cycling helmet (a proper one not one of the ski helmet clones) - they are designed to be wearable while hauling you and your bike up an Alpine pass in the summer sun so are much more of a frame structure with as much vent as helmet but are designed to give very similar protection. Of course most of us are too shallow to accept the stylistic compromise to wear one skiing Very Happy
snow report
And the prize for the most unspeakably garish helmet goes to...

mtsuit wrote:
No experience, but I saw this mountaineering helmet http://www.petzl.com/en/Sport/Helmets/SIROCCO linked from a ski tour equipment list.

Even if you don't notice it, others might with that colour.

Look like crocs but for your head. I think I'll pass.
ski holidays
I'll second all the people that started wearing helmets begrudgingly but like them now. I start because I forced my kid to wear it and have no problem with it now. Keeps u warm on cold days and is not really hot on warm ones. Also makes goggle vs sunglasses issue easy, just wear the goggles and go fast be glad I'm not drying out my contacts.

But seriously, I don't bike without one, seems stupid not to ski with one.
ski holidays
@sn0wst0rm, Dear lord, what the hell is that!!! Are you sure its not part of a costume from star wars
snow report
@sn0wst0rm, I was like you and wouldn't even wear a beanie if it was just about warm enough to get away with it, but thought I'd better get a helmet 'just in case' the worst happens.

After trying lots of models I settled on a Smith Vantage, which is very lightweight and has lots of easily adjustable vents, with two sliding switches so even on the warmest days I don't really notice I'm wearing it, and on the coldest days I'm warm and toasty. The variable switches mean that you can open just the back or front vents easily, so for example hot air can be let out the back when the front vents are closed to stop the cold wind getting in.

That said, it was also the only helmet I found that fitted me perfectly too, which is the most important buying decision when it comes to helmets really. The venting system was the icing on the cake, albeit an important one as it means I would never think twice about wearing it.
ski holidays
Hi Sn0wst0rm,

I was exactly the same as you so I wrote a blog post about it! I eventually caved and purchased an Anon Blitz helmet though I think I'll be grateful for it in resort.

Check out the review/discussion here:

http://powderpursuit.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/my-winter-gear-helmet.html?view=magazine

Safe Shredding

HH
ski holidays
speaking of thinning hair, I was thinking of starting a class action lawsuit blaming the helmet manufacturers.
Who's with me ?
ski holidays
@essex, Goldsmith, probably...
snow conditions
@essex, You laugh but from memory people have tried it in the construction industry due to wearing hard hats all the time. I can confirm hard hats really do make my hair fall out (or is it the wife and son!) Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy