Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return journey Arabba-Calais

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out to Serre Che via our usual route in January but returning via the S11BB in Arabba, leaving Saturday morning.
I've put the journey into Google Maps, ViaMichelin and our Sat Nav. There are so many different options it is giving me a headache.
We need to be back in Calais for Sunday early afternoon at the latest and will want an overnight stop.
Suggestions for routes welcome from those more familiar with the journey.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,
I did a couple of different routes between Moena (Passo San Pellegrino) and Calais and I think that the least stressful (regarding traffic) is this one: Innsbruck-Fussen-Ulm-Karlsruhe-Metz-Reims-Calais. You will need to pay for toll motorways in France but generally traffic in France is much lighter than in Germany. Leaving Passo San Pellegrino at 7am we would arrive in Calais 8-10pm the same day (traveling with children, keeping to speed limit, lunch, and it was snowing at times). Of course, you can plan an overnight stop en route making the trip more comfortable.
If you chose to travel longer in Germany (taking advantage of no speed limits and still free motorways): Innsbruck-Fussen-Ulm-Mannheim-Liege-Brussels-Calais- your travel time will very much depend on usually heavy traffic in Germany and around Brussels (!!!).
I would say- the first route is more reliable (staying far longer on the same motorway, less accidents, congestion, traffic, ) and generally safer but it probably does not matter much if you are planning to take an overnight stop.
Hope that helps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skihols second route, but go Fussen-Karlsruhe and then through Luxembourg to Charleroi and then Lille: avoids Brussels and any peage...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll be watching this with interest Toofy Grin

Had initially thought of the Innsbruck-Karlsruhe-Merzig-Luxembourg-Charleroi-Tournai-Calais router to avoid French tolls and fuel up in Luxembourg.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not that bothered about French tolls, will be paying far less of them than usual this winter, so a small amount won't matter too much. You still planning to drive @Cacciatore, ? I have my route from Serre Che to Arabba to sort too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, we are indeed and will be looking to sort that route too....!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Cacciatore, Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells, A lot depends on what passes are open on the Saturday morning you leave Arabba: either N over the Campolongo and head for La Villa and N down the Val di Badi, and then W to pick up the Brenner pass.
Or else W/N over the Pordoi and Sella, down to Selva and then pick W to the Brenner motorway. If neither of those options are open it's going to be a very long day.
Once you hit Innsbruck, then any of the routes already mentioned would work - but I always go via Karsruhe and Luxembourg as it's a change from being on the motorway *all* the time and it's not that much slower.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, last year I pondered this question for a while, then decided to drive back via my apartment and spend a couple of nights there, then head up to Calais. It made for a longer journey but I was guaranteed a comfortable night at no extra cost. It also meant I didn't have to leave the apartment completely clean and tidy before heading off to Arabba, which was a help given the amount of time I'd spend on the internet trying to work out how to get to Arabba with all the passes closed. I'll be doing the same this year, taking macgyver back to Chambery en route so it works out well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing to factor in - very slow journey north out of Arabba and to the motorway. Took ages. Once on the motorway, no further problems. I hope it might be better next time, heading out westwards from Arabba, quite a bit shorter though probably still quite slow on a Saturday. I never normally drive Alpine roads on a Saturday but no option that time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The rabbit and talltone and masque and degage did this a few BB's ago.
Of all the passes out of Arabba, Campolongo is the one most likely to be open and cleared first.

So Arabba - Corvara - down the hill to (almost) Brunico, turn Left along Pustertal to Brenner Pass, go over that to Innsbruck.
Then you have a choice... over passes to A7 Germany, via Arlberg Tunnel (pricey) towards Bregenz (slightly longer, skips Munich), or via Kufstein and Munich (could be carnage - it often is).
All of those converge at Ulm. From there... A8... Luxembourg... and towards Calais.

I tend to do that, stop over in Innsbruck (after a full last day ski), then return via Munich on a Sunday am, or via Bregenz if I just fancy the scenic route. But after Ulm/Stuttgart, I'm heading away from the best Innsbruck-Calais route.

Forget Pordoi, Sella pass etc. unless this season's snowmageddon is in Corvara instead, or unless you're headed to French Alps.

PS and yes Brunico-Brenner on a Saturday am is 100000's of Germans and Russians all going home, with carabinieri controlled junction at the bottom of the valley. Which is why we ski the last day, and drive at 4pm, when it's deserted. If you arrive that way on a Saturday, it'll all make sense.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, going back to Monetier will not be an option. Guests in there already and we have to be back at work on Monday morning.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andy, will be arriving from Serre Che the previous week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We do Calais Selva Calais regularly. We don't stop over now, but when we did Achen was our sleepover destination both ways.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, you'll need to get well north before stopping on Saturday night but though I regularly do my drive in one hit I wouldn't want to do what @Mollerski does - though OK with a couple of drivers, I suppose. You'd be welcome to stay at my place but it wouldn't be much help - too far to drive home on the Sunday.
ski holidays
@pam w, although we do have 2 drivers in the vehicle, it is rare I take the wheel, as hubby is such a dreadful passenger. I may need to sedate him and throw him in the boot with the dog if I was to drive on the German autobahn. He admits there is nothing wrong with my driving, and that it is his problem. I think all the way to Calais in one hit is just a bit much.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think all the way to Calais in one hit is just a bit much

I quite agree - 12 hours of driving, for one driver - plus stops - is too much and although I was never planning to do it in one, last year, I had found the Belgian and Luxembourg roads pretty horrible, when I used them on the way down to Switzerland. Terrible surface, traffic, lots of road works. Crap toilets with peculiar attendants who seemed to expect money. Hence my decision to take the relaxed, if longer, way back and I'll do the same this year. It's very nice not having to go to work. Little Angel

My daughter in law has a bit of a phobia about being a passenger. she's a useless navigator so normally my son does the navigation and sorts out squabbles n the back and she drives. It's part of a package of anxieties for her - including a fear of flying which started after 9/11. She does fly, but gets sedation and is still in a state. She's the one having chemo therapy after excision of an aggressive tumour in her breast. She's being very brave and matter of fact about it. I wonder whether, after something all too real to worry about, some of her other anxieties will fade a bit?
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@pam w,. I think all the way to Calais in one hit is just a bit much.

Man up! After popping out of the tunnel, we push on to West Cornwall. Very Happy 18hrs is the record, door to door 1250 miles. wink
latest report
@Mollerski, I think that's pushing your luck - it would be illegal if you were a professional driver, even with two of you. For good reason. And I am the only driver on my trips.
snow report
pam w wrote:
@Mollerski, I think that's pushing your luck - it would be illegal if you were a professional driver, even with two of you. For good reason. And I am the only driver on my trips.

Actually, the hours driving wouldn't be for two drivers, as long as breaks were adhered to, other than double manning has been outlawed. Madeye-Smiley

I do agree, it's not for everyone. I'm quite good at getting in the zone and clicking down the miles. It's a bit of a grind when the satnav chirps up " In 846 miles make a left turn". Confused
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy