Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Bataleon Board for Powder?

Poster: A snowHead
Currently ride a Bataleon Goliath (161) & The Jam (161W) as my all mountain boards but reading an online reviews The Jam is not great one powder

From the goodride.com about The Jam:-

"This All Mountain Freestyle Twin didn’t cut the mustard for him in powder and he had to work too hard off the back leg. I felt the same here and thought it was just a little better than a standard camber twin. This is not the kind of hybrid camber either of us would prefer for riding powder but if you are an old schooler who takes on powder with a camber twin you will be fine with this. We were in thicker snow on the West Coast so it magnifies the issue. However even in lighter fluffy Utah Powder isn’t going to be as easy as other boards here."

I'm off to Japan in Feb and want a board that will work well in those conditions, I love Bataleon and was after a recommendation. I'm an intermediate boarder and new to offpiste - doing 3 weeks in Val D in Dec / Jan and concentrating on offpiste then

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I think the Jam would be hard on the back leg as it is a centred stance. Your other choices in the Bataleon range are either the Camel Toe as a full on powder board or the Omni which is more of an all mountain shape but does have a set back stance so will be easier on the back leg in the soft stuff.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not ridden any of their boards, but you're very likely to want to set the stance back on a board if it's a true twin. If the reviewers didn't do that, then perhaps that's the source of their concern.

More generally, powder boards are good for powder - that's why I use them.

I'd wait until you find your powder, then try what you have. If you see everyone else having more fun, then rent a powder board or two and see how that grabs you. Once you know what type of powder board you like, by all means buy one, but bear in mind that it won't be great on piste. Or in the park.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ive read good things about the Jones Hovercraft ( both on piste and off) if you perhaps want to try something other than a Bataleon
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd rather stick to what I know (go the old man set in his ways)

Does anyone know about the Whitegold Proto? Marketing blurb sounds good but then it always does
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am going to be rather controversial and ask the question, why would you want to ride in powder on anything other than a Fish or a Hovercraft, both are designed specifically for that purpose and your experience will be so much better for it.
I have 2 Fishes a 160 and a 148 and my ridding buddy uses a 160 Hovercraft. They are both genuinely game changing. Super easy to ride, zero leg burn, not need to set you foot way back, awesome surfy feel and super flattering
http://easyloungin.com/forum/topic.php?id=13555
47 pages of love for the Fish Happy
The are also fantastic on the piste

http://youtube.com/v/IBsEZj9sk1Q
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to post the opposite of that, I have a Fish and I rarely ride it. It's a fun toy to have and great for days when it's puking with snow and visibility is zero so you're in the trees all day, but when the sun comes out I'd rather have a big freeride board. Much more response and power.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@qwertyuiop7 Well there are many boards designed for powder. These days I don't ride Fish much, although I do now and then, and Fish are great as no-boards.
Note that not all Fish are equal: some model years were very poor.

The Fish was a game changer back in the day, but things change. I haven't seen Terje on one for a while, although I know a handful of photographers who still use them daily.

The main limitation for experts in the trees is the lack of slash and top end speed.

The OP was asking about twin boards.

Personally I wouldn't consider riding a Fish at a resort - there are much better tools for that. I'd be surprised if it's not the obvious rental powder board you're offered.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One review of a general freeride board I read once went along the lines of "Powder? It's a snowboard if it's not good in powder the board probably isn't the problem."
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We'll not the much love for the Fish on here then Sad
I like mine and I suppose that's all that really matters.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd disagree with that, but then I probably spend more time in powder than the reviewer wink Sure, you can still ride anything, but some things are clearly better.

There are a few different design approaches to modern powder boards. Personally I don't like:
  • Twins, which I think result in a set back stance and reduced forwards performance and slash
  • Swallowtails. I've seen a lot of people take them out. For one day. I'm just a spectator, but it's not encouraging. They may work better in hero terrain. The Stellar is a teeny ST which is so small it doesn't matter. There are better designs.
  • Flat bases. They don't feel like there's much going on.
  • Exaggerated nose rocker/ reverse camber. You can control it without thinking after a while, but the loose feeling is pointless.
  • Boards which aren't tapered
  • Boards which are not sized perfectly for me. Typically I'll either sink (Burton Con Artist 152: I'm looking at you) or get pushed out on corners (Travis Rice thing). Some years I can't find any size in a model which works, so I try something else.
  • Big boards. Back in the day I'd be riding big boards like everyone else, but correctly sized small boards work fine. Americans need big boards for their egos, but for the rest of the world, they're just harder to carry around.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@qwertyuiop7, hey I like mine too, but it's just really rare that I reach into the board locker and decide to pick up the Fish.

Current powder/freeride board is an Amplid Creamer. Quite stiff, flat-ish camber on the tail and between the feet, rocker in the nose. Tiny amount of taper. It's a 162 which, for me, is relatively short for a big freeride board (I'm 90kg). Probably my favourite freeride board I've ever owned, although I'd love to get my hands on a mint condition Nitro Shogun from 2004/2005ish again...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@philwig, Think it was probably Angry snowboarder, so he probably gets his fair amount of riding in. I've been quite impressed with my rocker a flat a rocker board but then I'm a lot more casual a boarder these days and the modern version of a stiff Prior MFR which was my favourite board ever would probably spank my ass.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It all depends on the context, but I've been unimpressed with Mrs Angry before.

In snowcat boarding you get "daily" guests. Sometimes they listen to the wrong advice and don't turn up with appropriate gear. For helis you can just turn them away, but with cats they can always ride down in the machine so it's just their money they're risking. Typically they'll maybe they make one or two runs, and then they will work out that everyone else is having fun, whilst their day is done. Sometimes we have a spare Fish on the roof of the cat.... I must have seen dozens of peoples' days transformed by swapping their "awesome all mountain board" out for a simple little Fish.

Sure, those guys aren't Terje, if that's the point, but then most people aren't. And he doesn't waste run riding unsuitable gear. QED wink

Prior - I quite liked the Khyber back in the day. Although I know quite a few North American niche manufacturers I'm not generally a big fan of their powder stuff. So far...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interesting information coming out - a guy at work who is also a snowboard instructor was selling the benefits of a Fish as that's the powder board he rides.

I was at Ellis Brigham last Friday and ended up buying a Whitegold Shaka in the sale (last season's). Bit of a spur of the moment purchase and I can't find any reviews online which is a slight worry.

We'll see how I get on with it, I suspect it won't get loads of use, but given I am going to Japan this season I want to maximise my enjoyment / fun there and don't mind 'investing' in another board. Also it looks good and the Mrs has bought me some snowboard display hooks for Xmas. You screw them to the wall and then your snowboard becomes a work of art when you're not riding it Very Happy

This board will complement my Goliath which gets the most use and The Jam which I use when the conditions are good (less forgiving than the Goliath but also a lot faster)
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
Just to post the opposite of that, I have a Fish and I rarely ride it. It's a fun toy to have and great for days when it's puking with snow and visibility is zero so you're in the trees all day, but when the sun comes out I'd rather have a big freeride board. Much more response and power.

But isn't that the point? Having different boards for different conditions.

I now have 5 boards, 1 I need to sell as it stays in the attic, 1 that I rarely use (park board and I'm poo-poo in the park) and then I generally take 2 away with me which will both get use during a 1 week trip depending on the snow conditions / type of riding.
snow report
Quote:

Sure, but I haven't ridden my Fish in 2 years.
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Sure, but I haven't ridden my Fish in 2 years.

Then this could be your answer (the Mrs just bought me 2 sets for Xmas)

http://www.amazon.com/HangTime-Snowboard-Wall-Mount-Black/dp/B001N84J9G?tag=amz07b-21

Or buy a place in Japan Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy