Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pick my 1st board package, used/new ebay/CL ~$250

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a beginner. My style is that I don't have a need for speed, I just want to have fun, hopefully hit a few small jumps and boxes, do a 360, nothing fancy. I think I want a board shorter and wider than a calculator sizes me at because I wouldn't have to worry about boot overhang catching and the shorter board should help me go slower with more controll.

I'm male
5 foot 8
157lbs
foot 10.5" X 4.5"

One calculator sized me for a 154cm X 257mm board

I have a snowboard shop here but instead of spending half a day going there and trying on boots and stuff, I'd rather chance that a 10.5" off ebay will fit. I can add gel insoles and extra socks if they're big. I'll pay return shipping or possibly resell them if they don't fit. It would cost less to pay return shipping because the cheapest boots at the stores are like $100. eBay has boots for like $70 shipped, probably the same quality, and I will have to contact the manufacturer prior to make sure they're vegan.
I'm usually a germaphobe, but am considering used boots if they're part of a good craigslist/ebay deal. I'll just spray them with %90 rubbing alcohol, take the liners out if possible wash them and everything, put them in the sun for a while, etc.

Budget is $250 with shipping for boots, bindings and board, $200 if possible. I don't care if it's flow-type bindings or straps, but flow would be nice since I'll probably find a small box/jump and keep walking back to hit it. I don't care about board graphics as long as it's not too abstract.

Here are some ebay Flow packages without boots

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_udlo=122&_udhi=300&LH_BIN=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=mens+snowboard+package+flow&_sop=15

strap binding packages
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=mens+snowboard+package+flow&_udlo=122&_sop=15&_udhi=300&_from=R40%7CR40&_mPrRngCbx=1&LH_BIN=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmens+snowboard+package+.TRS0&_nkw=mens+snowboard+package+&_sacat=0

I wouldn't mind buying everything seperate if it's smarter and someone will do the searching through.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=priceasc&query=snowboard+-jacket+-kids+-youth+-girls+-womens+-pants&maxAsk=555

THANKS
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
can't find the edit. Just wanted to say I'll go over budget a little to buy boots for the Flow combos that don't include boots as long as Flows are safe and not going to like unhinge while riding.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Packages look ok if it works with your budget. *personally* I'd go to your local store and at least try some boots - boots are the most important thing to the point you should probably buy those for preference over board and bindings. Buy new boots which work right for you, paying a $30 premium to try instore and get them right will be worth it every day on the mountain you spend not cursing your boots.

Pickup second hand board/bindings on eBay/CL/Whatever for pocket change or continue to hire kit for then next year, although I know this can be a pain as you'd benefit from a wide/midwide board so your rental options may be a bit limited.

So summary: Boots first, then worry about the rest.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flows are a real love/hate thing. Some people love the convenience, others really don't like the feel. I'd suggest going with strap bindings for your first setup unless you can get a chance to demo some Flows.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
where are you based . i have some old flow snowboard boots . you might want to try on before you buy boots.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if you have one near by have a look in decathlon store .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I assume that you're in the US?

Anyway, time invested in picking the right boot and getting it fitted by someone professional is time well spent - if this is your first board / boot set up then don't just buy something on eBay because it fits your budget. You may strike lucky but you may waste your money. I noticed that different makes of boots are sized differently so a size 10.5 in one make may need a size 11 in another.

Also, make sure you do your research on the board, this will really help build your confidence. I chose wrong for my first board and I believe that this held me back for a season or 2
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy