Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dress code in a chalet?

Poster: A snowHead
snowbunny, I will give it a try Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mistermouse,
Quote:

snowbunny, I will give it a try

Wonderful news. Now what was this thread supposed to be about? Little Angel
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Erica , iwould just wear what you would feel relaxed in , whether its jeans or joggers no one will mind

There Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stuarth, you could instigate the whip round before anyone else does and then not contribute yourself. Evil or Very Mad Or explain that you tipped last week or will next week or whatever... it's harder to do but people will understand.

Kramer Bloody right, you should tip twice as much. Unless you were any good and then you wouldn't have to bother... Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
parlor, I'd better get saving my pennies then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, get some lessons while you're there, you'll be fine Wink

I forgot to say I heart ashton parker...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Is that it then? nbt & cmyers_uk & others gonna start tipping if we desrve it?

Ill give you a tip as long as you do something above and beyond what I expect you to do for what I have paid the Company. i.e If your a good laugh Ill buy your drinks , carry my bags and you will get a £5 thats my rate for bag carrying.

Quote:
For those who are opposed to tipping and feel that a decent level of pay should be given in the first place, then withholding a tip is hardly going to be hurting those who are to blame for the situation is it

Kramer if the pay is so bad that only tips make it worthwhile then if nobody paid tips there would be no staff willing to work and the Company would have to raise the pay, isnt it standard market forces. Everybody bangs on their on minimum wage but correct me if Im wrong they get free board and lodging and get to ski all day, it isnt meant to be a career but some beer money while you get to ski and sh*g having just left uni or am I missing something.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Ill give you a tip as long as you do something above and beyond what I expect you to do for what I have paid the Company. i.e If your a good laugh Ill buy your drinks , carry my bags and you will get a £5 thats my rate for bag carrying.

Quote:
For those who are opposed to tipping and feel that a decent level of pay should be given in the first place, then withholding a tip is hardly going to be hurting those who are to blame for the situation is it

Kramer if the pay is so bad that only tips make it worthwhile then if nobody paid tips there would be no staff willing to work and the Company would have to raise the pay, isnt it standard market forces. Everybody bangs on their on minimum wage but correct me if Im wrong they get free board and lodging and get to ski all day, it isnt meant to be a career but some beer money while you get to ski and sh*g having just left uni or am I missing something.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Quote:

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Quote:

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we get the message. they can't ski all day, they can only ski when the work is done, and unless they work hard and efficiently, they don't ski at all. and most people get some time off - usually evenings - to do what they like. Most chalet people work at least as long a day as most workers, they just get their time off in the middle of the day, having been up till midnight clearly away dinner, then up early to get breakfast. Nobody is forced to tip, and nobody is forced to accept that those who won't tip, despite extra good service, are not mean gits.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowbunny wrote:
mistermouse,
Quote:

snowbunny, I try not to but the fingers just type away

Very, sad, try raising your intellectual level slightly, to say...gutter Evil or Very Mad

According to this thread raising his intellectual level to such dizzying heights would involve illegal bindings wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11288&start=0
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa,
Quote:

According to this thread raising his intellectual level to such dizzying heights would involve illegal bindings

Potentially only achievable if mistermouse, uses 2 stacked sets of mounting plates Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cmyers_uk, that's cool. I'm pretty sure you'd end up tipping me then. If you fancy a chalet holiday in Verbier next season PM me.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cmyers_uk, if that's all you expect, then don't tip, but don't complain when you get crap service.
ski holidays
cmyers_uk,

A question for you - do you tip in restaurants? Surely the service in a decent chalet is very much like that in a family-run restaurant. It's just that the staff serve you a dozen meals and clean your bath and toilet too.

I think everyone knows that waiters/waitresses in restaurants RELY on tips (I recognise that its difference for staff at functions where tipping is unusual). They get better paid than chalet staff. Chalet wages allow you to subsist. They don't allow you to have a meal out on your night off, buy food and drinks on the mountain, replace your gloves half way through the season when they are stuffed, etc. For any of that you need tips.

Of course you don't have to tip but by not doing so you are being ungrateful to the staff and free-riding on more generous guests. Of course if you really are a tight ar*e you probably know that and don't care.

Cheers,

J
snow conditions
cmyers_uk, god you're a tosser.
snow report
Nadenoodlee, Laughing I wish you wouldnt sit on the fence so often. snowHead
snow conditions
cmyers_uk wrote:
Kramer if the pay is so bad that only tips make it worthwhile then if nobody paid tips there would be no staff willing to work and the Company would have to raise the pay, isnt it standard market forces.

But as you know that it isn't going to happen your gesture is symbolic. Usually symbolic gestures in protest involve some form of hardship for the person making the protest, not for the person that the protest is supposedly in aid of. The only person benefiting from your form of protest is you, and everyone else is losing out because of it.

Don't tip if you don't want to, but stop dressing it up as principles, and just have the honesty to call it what it is, selfishness.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 20-12-05 12:24; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Rare bad vibes going on here, lets face it, it is merely jealousy. Those who can afford to stay in chalets are usually so constrained by their situation that they couldnt do what the 'kids' are doing ie take time out to work in resort. I am insanely jealous that I can't but hey, am glad someone is!
Let us take some chillage and relax, the season is upon us, one and all, ho ho ho.
ski holidays
I find it incredible that after a week of outstanding and friendly service, from people who have really gone the extra mile to make sure you have a fantastic holiday, that anyone could even contemplate not leaving a decent tip.

Last year there were a couple in my chalet who refused to tip. They had had the ski guide to themselves for the entire week, and had received superb service from our funny, sociable and bright chalet boy and girl. I gave the husband a really hard time about it, but he wouldn't budge. Funnily enough he was a Tory.

We would soon notice the difference if chalet staff worked to rule.
ski holidays
If you think the chalet hosts do a good job and still don't tip, you're a tight wad...IMO.. NehNeh
snow report
Quote:
A question for you - do you tip in restaurants? Surely the service in a decent chalet is very much like that in a family-run restaurant. It's just that the staff serve you a dozen meals and clean your bath and toilet too.

Yes I do tip in restaurants whatever it says on the menu or 10% if not, if it said in the brochure 15% discrectionary charge thats what Id leave, I certainly won't be freeriding on anybody as I have the whole chalet.

Quote:
god you're a tosser.

Thanks for that informed and constructive comment Nadenoodlee its really changed my view, I do love a reasoned argument

Quote:
just have the honesty to call it what it is, selfishness.

There are a number of comments of your tight, selfish etc etc however these are made on the basis that I dont think you should tip but it should be included in the price you pay. It may be a view that is opposite to yours but I fail to see how it defines my whole character. If your view of selfishness is based on money paid to poor people then wouldnt a better measure be percentage of net salary to charities rather than tips to a chalet person.
ski holidays
^
|
|
|

Wot he said.

I don't agree with tipping by default in restaurants either. I'll tip for good service, not cos it says so on the menu. I don't tip the poeple in debenhams when I buy clothes there, I pay the price on the ticket - I don;t tip the staff in the chippy when I buy food there - same goes when buying food in restaurants for me...
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
parlor, We only leave a tip if the Environmental Health Officer that we take with us, is satisfied with all aspects of his stay and particularly standards in the food prep areas and yes, he does bring his temperature probe and sampling kit with him Shocked

I assume this is ironic otherwise how much fun is your holiday? I assume you've never travelled to some of the more exotic mountainous regions of the world where if you're not prepared to turn a blind eye to things like dogs in the kitchen (not edible I was assured) you would starve.
ski holidays
Looks like Bored Surfin kicked off a good one here!

As you know I am currently at the sharp end of this discussion and I don't have a *huge* problem with what cmyers_uk is saying, after all, he admits if I go beyond what he calls normal duties I know I'll get a tip Wink. It's a shame we don't have a chat about it on Thursday and then on Friday anyone who decides that they don't feel I deserve a tip, or even if I do but am not going to get one out of principal I should take them on one last ski run... Twisted Evil They'll need Air Glaciers to sort them out afterwards, providing they know the number - which I NORMALLY give all my guests - not any more Wink

From memory I'd say around 50-60% of our guests tip, and there are no hard and fast rules about who & how much. Yet equal service is given to all. Not true actually if you are an idiot I'll only do what I need to, and even then I've been tipped.

Some Aussies stayed in my friends chalet last year and gave them 50ChF each at the start of the week for "a few beers to start the week off well", they got an OK tip out of it in the end.

My worst experience was a yank telling me all week that he was going to sort me out as the group kept messing us around with food etc and then he totally stiffed us. I did get my own back but it's a secret. Wink

I understand poor Nadenoodlee saying that just now. She's there in the thick of it and every extra Euro helps!

martski, my wife'll love you! Us kids do deserve a tip!

Actually I was telling my wife about this and as she pointed out, do you realise if you are an @rse, and yes we can tell, you might tip us but we can still tell if you are social retarded, we will (but never have) spit in your food and clean the toilet with your toothbrush. Twisted Evil (Quick tip for you, you are social inept if you have very few friends and those that are your friends take you for a ride, if this is you please don't stay in a chalet Wink Laughing Twisted Evil)

On a serious note though. Would you be less inclined to tip a mature couple who have reached a point in their life where an alternative lifestyle is comfortable and realistic? Over a 19 (whatever) lad / lass who is on a gap year?

I know a few boys who on average will miss one breakfast per week, dinner is often late (but good when it arrives) and the chalet isn't the cleanest in the resort and all because their guests think that it's really remarkable that they manage to turn up for breakfast at all they get tipped quite well. Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:
I understand poor Nadenoodlee saying that just now. She's there in the thick of it and every extra Euro helps!

What do you think the odds are she's my Chalet lady, think I better cook my own food wink
snow conditions
Don't be cross with Nade. She's just like that! She nice really.

perhaps. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cmyers_uk, nbt, I think that you're trying to cloud the issue, which is, that if you don't tip, the only person who benefits from that act is yourself, it upsets the staff, and possibly leads to worse service for other customers. So essentially, no matter what words you dress it up in, it is, essentially, a selfish act.

By the same reasoning, noone should get a christmas bonus, after all, they've aleady been paid for doing their jobs...
ski holidays
I see my thread has been trundling along nicely whilst I've been away, staying in a CHALET.......
I confess that I wore cargo trousers and jeans.
snow report
erica2004, How did it go?, leave a tip?
snow conditions
Yes, 60 euros!
snow report
 brian
brian
Kramer, that's different.

Employers giving employees a bonus is a motivational tool. Chalet staff are not directly employed by the guests for the most part. So a tipping culture is a useful way for Crystal or whoever to shift some of the holiday cost out of the headline figure.

The reason cmyers_uk's market forces don't work in this instance is because there is a high demand among gap year types for this work so the holiday companies can shaft them on wages.
snow conditions
brian, chalet staff work indirectly for you for the week that you are there. Sure you're not their employer, but you direct (to a certain extent) and benefit from their good work. Just as a christmas bonus can be a motivational tool (although I'm not sure that it is in a lot of places outside the finance industry), so is tipping.
latest report
 brian
brian
Kramer, true. However, as you pointed out above, if the guests don't tip they don't lose out due to demotivation, that's for the next guests.

tbh, I'm not sure which side I'd go for on this one. I've only stayed in a chalet once and on that occassion I felt delighted to leave the poor girl a decent tip as 2 of the people we went with were a right PITA for her and the other guests Embarassed

otoh, I kind of resent boosting a tour op's bottom line by making up for their shoddy employment practices.
snow report
The chalet staff in 'Rond Point' had a fine old time - they skied every day - doesn't seem like a bad job.
ski holidays
Quote:

otoh, I kind of resent boosting a tour op's bottom line by making up for their shoddy employment practices.
Most Chalet staff I have spoken to were of the opinion that the balance was about right. I personally think the sytem works very well for certain companies.
snow report
Quote:
I think that you're trying to cloud the issue, which is, that if you don't tip, the only person who benefits from that act is yourself, it upsets the staff, and possibly leads to worse service for other customers. So essentially, no matter what words you dress it up in, it is, essentially, a selfish act.

Kramer sorry it does not make sense. You suddenly assumed that the only person who benefits is me. What if I took that money, I only have a finite amount and gave it as a christmas bonus to a homeless person selling big issue. Also I have never said I do not tip, I said I dont like tipping for the service I expect to get. If the person goes beyond that I'm sure they will be rewarded. Which to be honest I still cant see any problem with.

I have worked in the service sector with crap pay and awful customers and no bonus's you are either a person who works hard or doesnt, no tip for waiting on tables made me work harder.

I do agree with you bonuses dont make me work any harder so why do Companies bother. In fact isnt Money really low down on the list of motivators?

Finally just so I know , How much should I leave in your eyes for per adult and child.

a) Excellent Service way beyond what you would expect from a catered chalet
b) Average Service no more or less than expected, you know did the job but no more no less
c) Poor, late meals , bad cooking etc
ski holidays
my view, per adult guest
a) 20 quid
b) 5-10 quid
c) nothing
I'd probably not tip extra if I was bringing children unless the Chalet staff had gone out of their way to look after the kids.
ski holidays
cmyers_uk, I accept that you have a finite amount of money, if you spend no money at all on going out, then I accept that you would be taking money from charity to pay for a tip, however something makes me think that that's not the case.

I would agree with jedster's rough values, which after all are only the price of a round or two in most apres ski bars.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy