Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dress code in a chalet?

Poster: A snowHead
I think Mrs NBT mayhave something to say about that, never mind the girls themselves...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, it might be embarrasing for a second or two but even if you gave most of us a fiver then we'd (sorry - I'll speak only for myself here Wink)... I'd be so made up I'd soon make you feel better for it. (Goodness, that sounds very queer Embarassed ) It is the thought that counts...

It is harder when the chalet is shared - we find that we can do very well in these situations - if the conversation hasn't come up PLEASE bring it up, the other guests might not know it's normal - a simple "how much are you thinking of leaving?" is enough. And if you didn't really like the people you were sharing with it's a great way of pointing out how much more generous (ergo wealthier Wink) than the other guests. Twisted Evil Wink Very Happy

If you want to make it personal an envelope is brilliant (just please make sure it isn't empty), a smart handshake or a good old fashioned "here you go, buy yourself a couple of beers on me...".

Positioning it as beer money is also perfect because if you don't think we did a good job or if you just can't afford it (yeah right) and you only want to leave a minimum amount a couple of beers could be 5ChF... And it's still better than a kick in the teeth. (Or snotty tissues under the bed Shocked )

If you're coming back to stay with us and can't face the transaction then leave it in your room, I will remember.

I could bore you all with stories of tips and the absence there of. A new thread when I'm next bored me thinks...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obviously we don't have a rep so tip us a little extra? Wink

Don't feel so sorry for the reps... if they are organised they do half the work of chalet staff. And as fast carver said they get all sorts of extras... but I'm not giving the details...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trackies and a bottle of Cif if you'd been in my chalet for the last week. Je Suis Knackered!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, Hey , hows it going??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Last year we left a good tip to our lovely chalet girls, and i also let them have any of my burnt cd's that they wanted
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, I'd be a little wary about tissues under the bed only being "snotty" Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, I know Sad Just keep beathing through it... I'll be skiing soon... it's just snot... Skullie
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfhand wrote:
Dress code? I'd draw the line at wandering around in a thong and a smile!

Which would you make them get rid of?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a friend who was a super chalet host - a master chef, really nice guy, went the extra mile for his guests etc. He got super tips. Another guy working for the same company who treated his guests like sh*t, was insanely jealous and really couldn't suss out why the other guy got fab tips and he got nothing! He complained to the Resort Manager that it wsn't fair!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing True story! Shock
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, not really a surprise to me. You only get if you work for it. Thanks to boredsurfin for reminding other snowHead that if your chalet staff have worked hard please tip them... Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
parlor,
Have you got a www.?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For the other view I dont like tips. I am paying more for 7 nights in a catered chalet than staying in a 3 star hotel in the Sun full board. I expect to get good service from my chalet person because I have already paid for it. If the pay of a chalet person is low but people still do it then its the going rate for the job, sorry if this appear harsh but its the whole package that attracts you not just the basic pay.

That said go the extra mile like carry my bags and Ill give you a tip (£5 I think is reasonable), but I certainly dont expect to tip you for doing what is expected and certainly not the 100euros for a family suggested .

Good luck with your tips , hopefully I wont be in your Chalet, so you wont be disappointed snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You leave tips for the cleaners in hotels so you should expect to tip the chalet hosts providing they have made a reasonable effort.
They can make or break the whole holiday IMV

On my last chalet hol we got the 3 chalet girls slaughterd twice in the KK and had to blow out dinner both times. ...!! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cmyers_uk, If the TOs paid their staff a decent rate they'd have to charge you more for your holiday. £10 pp isn't huge each is it? They do work hard in most cases.
snow report
Do you tip the checkout staff at ASDA , Guy at McDonalds, Bus Driver all of them are low paid and dont get the free board that allows them to ski all day without paying out thousands of £. If the TOs charge more for their holiday I have a choice to pay it or not, there is no question over how much , no embaressment , no problem and everybody gets it irrespective of who their guest were a much better system than tipping.

JT, I stay 60+ nights in hotels and I dont leave tips for cleaners if I did I would be skint. I have no problem buying them drinks and making sure they have a good time, in fact they may prefer the fact, I am clean an tidy reducing their workload to a £10 at the end of 7 days.
ski holidays
cmyers_uk, The fact that many people are badly paid is not the point. The BEST paid UK chalet people I know here at the moment are paid approx half the UK minimum wage - which is considerably less than the French minimum wage. I know it's their choice, but see my post above - ifno-one tipped the good ones then they'd all do a rotten job - why should they put themselves out? They'd be "jobsworths" through and through. Most of them don't get to ski all day as they have too much work. To be on call 24/7 is not fun! Of course a lot depends on the TO and the Resort Manager, but these kids are being seriously taken advantage of.

In addition, many TOs use all sorts of excuses to hold back part of their wages till the end of the season, and then more excuses to not pay them the balance. I wouldn't do the job for the world!!!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

Do you tip the checkout staff at ASDA , Guy at McDonalds, Bus Driver

Your contact with them will be 2 mins at the most, and their influence on the success of your holiday will be an absolute minimum. Chalet staff are so much more personal than that. If you have a good chalet experience and you don't tip the staff the you are mean beyond belief. You also do a disservice to those that follow you into the chalet. Even the chalet ski hosts we have met we have tipped. Why did we do this, well because the hosts would go out of their way to make friends with our young kids, and to show us a great time. They greatly increased the joy of our holiday.

Would you pay €10 a head for a much improved holiday. Of course you would.
ski holidays
cmyers_uk,
I'm with easiski. After all you tip the staff on a summer holiday, or your driver on a safari holiday. Most people also tip their barber.
latest report
Quote:

or your driver on a safari holiday

Oh yes, always give my safari driver a good tip. In fact one year I gave him a small village just outside one of my Rhodesian plantations.
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:
cmyers_uk,
I'm with easiski. After all you tip the staff on a summer holiday, or your driver on a safari holiday. Most people also tip their barber.

And I'm with cmyers_uk, I get paid to do my job and I don't get a tip when I do it. If someone really truly does do something special I'll tip, but I won;t tip if someone's just doing their job. as long as tipping continues, so will low wages.

and summer holidays, what's that about then? Surely holidays are for skiing?
snow report
nbt, I dont know what you do for a job but there is doing your job and there is going the extra mile to make someone feel special. We are talking about a service industry with direct and intense public contact. I will add you to my list of well known tight gits.
snow conditions
Naturally all staff receiving tips declare them to the taxman. HMRC is currently having a crack down on tips the tronc system and service charges levied in the Hospitality trade in the UK at the moment!
snow report
boredsurfin, Ah yes taxman picks on the low paid again. Rich business man can rack up a £500 a night hotel bill, but give a lorry driver more than £20 for sleeping in his cab and you will get a visit from those that must be obeyed Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
cmyers_uk,

Being clean an tidy has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather this price levy, for want of a better word was voluntary rather than go on the bill. If you don't enjoy your stay don't tip but if I do, I will.

And we have always tipped the guides as we have never had a bad time with them..!!!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, neat summary of our current tax system!
latest report
Quote:
Would you pay €10 a head for a much improved holiday. Of course you would.

I am paying for 7 days £2600 for that I expect the Company to employ somebody who will give me a good holiday, if the person does not want to do what is required of them and lets face it in a service industry thats keep the customer happy then I expect the company to sack them. If the wages are too low for UK staff to want to do it then its quite simple raise their salary or get me a Eastern European person who will be more than happy for the work. I am not against paying the people a proper wage I just want it all up front which no ambiguity so I can choose what I can afford, lets face it Im sure they dont take VISA

And for the record I dont tip on summer holidays for keeping my room clean, cooking my meal etc. I do tip my hairdresser strange I really dont know why especially as I know him and hes far from low paid.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
nbt, I dont know what you do for a job but there is doing your job and there is going the extra mile to make someone feel special. We are talking about a service industry with direct and intense public contact. I will add you to my list of well known tight gits.

I build websites for a living. last week I delivered stage 1 of a million pound website on time and under budget. To do that I wokred etxra hours every day for a month and last weekend had to cancel two days holiday (friday and monday) and work through the weekend, leaving Mrs NBT to look after our 2 year old nephew on her own (his parents had gone for their first holiday without him). For that I had to fight to get paid by my company as I "would normally be expected to put in the hour necessary to complete the work". Fine if the work being demanded is well specced but not when unforseen things go wrong and this happens.

I didn;t get a tip from the client - in fact that client didn't even bother to look at the deliverables for four ******* days, but that's another story! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I've done my time as a waiter, I always tried to be polite and professional then and still do to this day - in all aspects. I would never expect a tip for doing my job, and can honestly say that in two years of waiting-on while I was at college, I can remember only one occasion when I got a tip - a small wedding party in a private room left a handsome tip for the four of us who were working. They specifically gave it to the lead waiter, as they knew that all tips would normally go into a big slush fuind which would be paid out to everyone at Christmas - great for the potwashers who would never get tips, but overkill for managers already on much higher wages

Am I a tight git? Yes I am, I don't throw money away because I work damned hard for what I eanr and intend to spend it wisely.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I didn;t get a tip from the client - in fact that client didn't even bother to look at the deliverables for four ******* days, but that's another story!
Perhaps they may see the light and arrange prompt payment for you services, that a sort of tip/bonus in business. I see what your saying, but I stil differ in my opinion. Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
I can understand your points nbt & cmyers_uk.

Of course I'm going to work my backside off, but it’s also quite motivating knowing you might get a tip at the end of the week, so it's easy to do that little extra. The fact that you don't get the tip until the end of the week means I can't take the risk of not doing everything I can for you. Tips make such a difference to my seasons pay pack, without them I wouldn't find doing seasons the way I am at the moment possible.

Tipping is very important, it's a circular thing. Sure if you're a website designer or whatever so you don't get tips, that make sense, but when the tender & quotes went out are you saying you didn't build in a little extra for yourself? Didn't your company, or suppliers, take you out for a Christmas lunch? Think about it, wouldn't you'd have rather had the cash than having your an embarrassing meal and your bottom pinched by Brenda from accounts? Maybe not Wink

My sister virtually paid her way through uni with waitress tips. I have had tips for many different jobs I've had over the years. And in turn I tip people. There is an unwritten rule about occasions that tipping is OK. We tip our dustmen at Christmas, we used to do the postie & the milkman but times change. Sad Barbers / hair dressers, golf caddies, bell boys, station porters... the list could go on for a while.

Next you'll be saying performance (or not) related bonuses or sales commissions should be stopped. Shocked
A tip after all is a perforance bonus, I said it before, I don't expect a tip but I hope for one and I work for one. If I perform, tip me.

At the end of the day do chalet staff deserve to get stiffed to actually put up with you? You've paid to come and stay as a guest in my chalet (not that we own it) and I will treat you like a guest. We have to put up with all sorts of treatment and if it's still done with a smile, please show your appreciation. I'm not paid to smile. I'm paid to cook your food and keep the chalet clean. I try to entertain, I'll take you skiing and pretty much anything isn't too much trouble... you want it? we got it. That’s why our repeat business is very high.

May I suggest that if you insist on going on holidays factor in a small tip for the staff, I'm not asking for much. Someone mentioned a £5 for carrying your bags, every Saturday I do nearly all of the bag carrying, up & down the 96 steps to our chalet. A fiver for the effort I've put in is just, IMO, a very nice way of saying THANK YOU. How long did it take you to earn? 15 minutes? Or perhaps at your client billable rate it might only take 5.

Look at a tip as a fixed cost of the holiday, it’s the cost of skiing. Don’t like it? Go self-catering, then you can decide whether you deserve a tip or not.

Frankly, if you’re not into tipping, which most people consider kind and generous, I wonder what other strange attitudes & views you have. Please don’t stay in my chalet. Wink Twisted Evil NehNeh

I took 6 guests skiing one day from another chalet, they gave me 100 ChF, and bought me lunch, for the effort of one day piste skiing and general larking about. When the same guests left their chalet they only gave the two staff members a total of 50ChF each. Obviously there are always going to be different levels of service.

Go on your chalet holiday expecting to leave a tip and if they didn’t meet your acceptable standards, don’t give them anything. It’s not hard.

That is all. Twisted Evil Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Is that it then? nbt & cmyers_uk & others gonna start tipping if we desrve it? Very Happy
ski holidays
I will always leave a realistic tip if we have had good service, & we normally do. Don't think it's too much to do if someone has tried hard to please, always presume that they are being paid a minimum wage!
Only time I haven't was last summer in an Algarve Villa which was very nice but the maid service we had paid for was cr*p!, couldn't care less, didn't bother to clean up & even left the washing machine full of someone elses washing!!
snow conditions
Completely off topic, but a question for the tipping experts...

Quite a few of the lessons and courses I do are with instructors I'd consider friends, I prefer not to tip them every week I ski with them, but rather buy the beers, pay for dinner, etc. They are invarably great and so it is of course customary (this is in Canada) to tip them, therefore often people have a whip round and give it to the instructors collectively from the group - how do you avoid looking like a tight b****** to the people who are out for a week or 2 and don't realise that you are not? Confused rolling eyes
snow report
I've always worked on the EUR20 per couple tip for chalet staff. It may increase if the chalet staff have been particularly helpful with the kids. I htink we ere generally a very easy group to look after, keep the chalet clean, turn up for meal times on time, don't get silly drunk but if things go pear shaped we say straight away which I think saves any bad feeling or confusion. We also call the chalet before we arrive to see if anything is needed - marmite is always a favourite, we pay for lunch for the ski host and offer to take them out for dinner with us on the night out. Alcohol is always left at the end of the week it really is not worth bringing it back.

As you can see after many years of chalet holidays we have developed a "chalet strategy" and touch wodd have always had a good holiday.
ski holidays
To be honest, if you want really outstanding service, tip at the beginning of the holiday whilst hinting that good service will lead to more at the end.

For those who are opposed to tipping and feel that a decent level of pay should be given in the first place, then withholding a tip is hardly going to be hurting those who are to blame for the situation is it? In a (very) few places that I have stayed in, the service has been outstanding, and the staff are banned from accepting tips, and this has been made clear from the outset, everywhere else you just have to lump it. If you can't afford the price of one round of drinks (give or take) extra on your holiday to reward good service then perhaps you should consider staying somewhere cheaper so that you can. Also if the service is terrible then you shouldn't feel obliged to pay extra.

You can dress it up as principles, but I've met very few people who do that and then hold the same principles so strongly that they then write a letter of complaint to the company complaining about the rate of pay offered to the staff. IMO being an independant contractor is not the same thing as being low paid in the service industry, and even then, a fair few contractors I know get gifts or bonuses for early completion or outstanding service.

BTW, question for the seasonnaires; Is it good form to tip the chalet girl if you've slept with her? Very Happy
snow conditions
Kramer, Why not ! you havn't got the cost of a taxi wink
ski holidays
Kramer, mistermouse, Here's a tip, be a little less basic Twisted Evil
latest report
Kramer, yeah, dont sleep with girls from your own chalet Little Angel
snow conditions
snowbunny, I try not to but the fingers just type away Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
mistermouse,
Quote:

snowbunny, I try not to but the fingers just type away

Very, sad, try raising your intellectual level slightly, to say...gutter Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy