Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some questions about working a season :)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys. Long time since I've been here. Missed out on ski season last year due to various broken bones but all fixed and ready to go again now! Smile

Just got some general questions about working ski seasons! I have recently found myself in the position where I can take 12 months off my "serious" job to have some fun. Unfortunately this opportunity only came around a few weeks ago so I have sadly missed the ship to work this ski season as all the good jobs will have gone Sad . I ideally would have loved to worked in a busy / popular apres ski bar. As I say, I know I'm too late for this season but just wondering where these types of bar jobs are advertised? I have had a look on Natives but it seems to be the big companies advertising on there as opposed to the independent bars?

I would love to work this season but the only jobs I seem to find advertised involve cooking (defo not for me) or child care for which I have no experience!

Thanks in advance x
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Email and call bars. A lot of jobs aren't advertised, or are only advertised locally.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rock up in a resort and work it out from there...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rhodos bar Morzine still looking for bar staff this season

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 18-11-14 22:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not brave enough to rock up without a job! lol

So upset I'm too late for this season Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There will be a fallout from people employed in bars after the season starts so, as said before, rock up to your chosen resort and vacancies will come up. Approach bars in town and mountainside and I am sure you'll get something....good luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check the pole emploi site for the local area (in France, if you speak French...)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Millie10 wrote:
Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not brave enough to rock up without a job! lol

So upset I'm too late for this season Sad

You're not - just look harder and away from the mainstream tour operators, although not coooking does limit things somewhat

chalet chardons still need bar staff - http://www.chaletsdirect.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=42890&posts=1&start=1

As to the 'rock-up and look for work' - I was in Meribel in the first week of the '12-13 season and whilst having the odd apres, lots of people trooped through the doors and asked for jobs to be met with a 'non' or similar response. If you're pretty, then you stand more chance with this approach, particularly in places like St. Anton

have you tired the various facebook groups for resort seasonaires
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or you could just be a ski bum. More time on the hill and you don't have to deal with drunken holidaymakers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Millie10 wrote:
... So upset I'm too late for this season Sad

You seem to have given up very easily Confused

We had a thread on jobs - which might be worth looking at
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111427&highlight=job%2A&start=40

I notice that mountainsun are still looking for chalet staff (not cooking).
http://mountainsunltd.com/about-us/

A lot of places advertise on facebook it seems.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also worth noting that all of these bars will receive a high volume of applications and so you need to think how you can make your application stand out. Although the vast majority of the bar owners will speak great English, one simple way is to write your email in German/French etc. Even if it is not 100% perfect, the little bit of effort shown will stand you in good stead against all of the applications they get in English. I help my friend with the social media for his business and I was amazed with how many of the people looking for jobs had not even tried to communicate in German. A google translate may not be the perfect translation, but at least it shows you are trying and people respect that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you for the replies. Any more suggestions on where to try would be gratefully received.

I'm 28 years old so a fair bit older than the normal applicant looking to work a season. Although older I would like to think being that bit older might go in my favour? More responsible? Good people skills? I'm taking a year out of my career to pursue this. I normally work as a physiotherapist so this will be a big change!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bar Mont Blanc in Vallandry had someone drop out today/yesterday. They are advertising now for someone:
http://seasonnaireweb.com/job-vacancies/bar-staff-1-male-1-female-positions-available/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you. I will apply but unfortunately I have no french language skills which they are asking for! Downside of growing up in Wales ... because we had to do Welsh and Language the schools didnt think another foreign language was necessary!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Millie10, you normally work as a Physio? Very Happy why don't you go out and do sports massage work out there? Quite a few companies offering this, just google it. Or you might find a spot in the spa/wellness of a hotel or upmarket chalet. Worth a try. Then when you get there you can look for bar work too if that's what you fancy. Don't think you're too late and don't give up before you've even tried! Good luck snowHead
ski holidays
Thank you Sarah but I'm taking 12 months out from my career and want to do something very different Smile
snow conditions
@Millie10, ok, can understand that!
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm 28 years old so a fair bit older than the normal applicant looking to work a season. Although older I would like to think being that bit older might go in my favour? More responsible? Good people skills?

In short yes. I think you are about the perfect age for employers - old enough to be responsible / balanced, young enough that you will put up with the rubbish pay, crazy hours and dodgy accommodation! You are not too late, there will be drop outs - I'd contact all the UK operators.

I did a season when I was 23. Didn't have cooking credentials and didn't speak much French - end up cleaning and helping a chef plus hosting for a chalet operator. Recommended.
latest report
Millie10 wrote:
Thank you. I will apply but unfortunately I have no french language skills which they are asking for! Downside of growing up in Wales ... because we had to do Welsh and Language the schools didnt think another foreign language was necessary!

Try applying to the Loop bar and Couloir restaurant (both in Tignes) - in Welsh. The owners are Jamie & Morgan Jones. Our annual Wales-Scotland 6 nations match bet - no, no it's still hurting & costing me beer. wink
snow conditions
jarvinho wrote:
Or you could just be a ski bum. More time on the hill and you don't have to deal with drunken holidaymakers.

sounds like a great plan Laughing
snow report
I would also say that if you can't get a firm job before you go, go anyway (to a larger resort) with the budget to search around for a couple of weeks. You will definitely find something. People are always breaking their wrists / getting the January blues / smacking their heads while drunk / getting sacked for being rubbish, so there is normally quite a lot of movement in the job market. Go for it - you'll have a great time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy