Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you/should you teach yourself to ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is such a silly thread! Imagine somebody asking "Can you/should you teach yourself to play tennis?" Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DrLawn wrote:
Course you can, Haynes do a manual for it with pictures.
But I'd get a set of cassettes, its much easier to follow.

Its also a good idea to practice a bit on the living room carpet before moving onto the stairs.

Absolutely

http://youtube.com/v/uWvYTJ-eeRY

http://youtube.com/v/dPorP6gvT7o

http://youtube.com/v/dF3cMBVif1Q
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The learning curve in skiing is very steep. Initially you need lessons to protect yourself and others from the dangers of inexperience. One week of group lessons as a minimum, depending on how quickly you learn.

Like driving a car, it is possible to learn to drive on private land, but it is dangerous on a public road without some kind of advisor or protection. You are like a child playing around an open fire. Sure you might stick your fingers in the fire, and you won't do it again. However, there is a danger you will do some serious damage to yourself and to others on crowded pistes. You need to go to kindergarten first!

I am mostly self taught to play golf. I am not a very good golfer.

I am mostly self taught to ski. I am a fairly good skier.

Why I am better at one than the other is mainly due to practice and self improvement. If you do something a lot, you tend to self correct errors, and learn from others on the piste. On the internet, you can see lessons for free. Many lessons are about technique. Knowing what you should be doing, and what you are doing wrong. If you know what you do wrong, then you can improve.

A minimum of one week group lessons, and this should be extended to 2 if you are a slow learner. (although slow learners will probably be the sort that do not enjoy skiing and do not want to do it again)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I teach at a dry slope, and we had a classic email a few weeks ago, proving that you probably shouldn't!
This guy emails us saying he desperately needs our help. He went skiing with mates last year, told them he could ski, thinking 'How hard can it be?', and threw himself at the slopes. He said, 'It was bl**dy hard work, I was absolutely cr*p, I'm going with them again, and I don't want to look like a prat again'.
It was a lovely email from a bloke actually admitting he'd got it wrong and needed help! And now he's beginning to look like a skier Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When my daughter was teaching at a dry slope, she had classes from local schools. Quite a few kids said they had already done a lot of skiing, on a PlayStation!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy