Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North America 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know it's a long way off but we are thinking that we may venture back over the pond in 2016 as Easter falls at the end of March so we could potentially do a 2 week trip without the pesky school getting it's knickers in a twist. I've only ever skiied Canada in Feb/early March time. I wonder if anyone has any recommendations or ideas on snow conditions for an early Easter? Ideally a family friendly resort (kids will be 10 and 13 by that time) with good choice of places to eat. Ski school less important as unlikely won't need it. I've done Banff with the kids and they utterly loved it and desperately want to go back but I'd like to know where else folks recommend
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really enjoyed Whistler and have skied at other location in Canada, Banff area, Big White, Fernie even on Vancouver Island at Mt Washington.

Out of the NA areas I've skied in Whistler is the closet thing that resembles a purpose built European resort in terms of extent and convince IMO. it's not something European skiers tend to think of but it has the greatest vertical, almost alpine scenery, and a nice selection of runs, bowls and woodland runs (including some tasty double black diamond runs through the trees). The lift system improved a lot after the Olympics but still isn't great in places, the peak to peak gondola doesn't add anything from a skiers perspective-they should have used the cash to upgrade to more 6 man fast chairs etc, but guess it pulls in the non skiers and gets used in the off season.

Being on the pacific west coast it's know for experiencing cloud and rain at resort level is not unusual but does mean it's snowing up the mountain. I've been there over Easter at the end of April, as with anywhere you can't tell what conditions will be like but I'd say it's a safe bet (remember theirs a glacier too). Last time I was there when Easter fell later in April and experienced it all, 4 days of 20 odd degrees, skiing in a t shirt and enjoying cold beers in the hot tub, then it got cloudy and wintery again with about 10 inches on the last two days. A very contrasting 10 days skiing. I'd say it's well geared for families although I've just been with the Mrs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bene wrote:
I really enjoyed Whistler and have skied at other location in Canada, Banff area, Big White, Fernie even on Vancouver Island at Mt Washington.

Out of the NA areas I've skied in Whistler is the closet thing that resembles a purpose built European resort in terms of extent and convince IMO. it's not something European skiers tend to think of but it has the greatest vertical, almost alpine scenery, and a nice selection of runs, bowls and woodland runs (including some tasty double black diamond runs through the trees). The lift system improved a lot after the Olympics but still isn't great in places, the peak to peak gondola doesn't add anything from a skiers perspective-they should have used the cash to upgrade to more 6 man fast chairs etc, but guess it pulls in the non skiers and gets used in the off season.

Being on the pacific west coast it's know for experiencing cloud and rain at resort level is not unusual but does mean it's snowing up the mountain. I've been there over Easter at the end of April, as with anywhere you can't tell what conditions will be like but I'd say it's a safe bet (remember theirs a glacier too). Last time I was there when Easter fell later in April and experienced it all, 4 days of 20 odd degrees, skiing in a t shirt and enjoying cold beers in the hot tub, then it got cloudy and wintery again with about 10 inches on the last two days. A very contrasting 10 days skiing. I'd say it's well geared for families although I've just been with the Mrs.

End of march is usually pretty good in Whistler. possibly wetter lower down, but often when there are the biggest dumps.
Of course easter will be busy because of the proximity to Vancouver and the US as well as destination visitors, but neither Canada (nor the US Ithink) really have big school holidays round there so it's only the actual easter long weekend that will be super busy.
One plus side of going later in the season is that it seems many Vancouverites have Edge cards (local discount card) which are pre-loaded for a certain number of days at the start of the season, and then have run out by the end of the season

Contrary to Bene's assertion, the Peak to Peak is surprisingly useful, it was much maligned before it was finished (me included!), but now I use it all the time, and they did also spend some cash on 6-seater for Harmony (the old 4 seater then moved to a new mid mountain spot on Blackcomb, which really fixed some issues there).
Remember more lift capacity isn't always better - what's that spot in the Espace Killy where Tignes, and Val d'isere join up with a million lifts and a funicular? snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
End of march is generally a good time in the Canadian Rockies.

How about two of a silver star/big white/ sun peaks combo?

All have tubing, skating etc
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does it have to be canada? There will be plenty of snow in Colorado and utah, probably more dependable than whister, although I truly love whistler, it's snow is heavier and a little more erratic than the Rockies. Can't comment on Canadian Rockies, although hopefully after this year I can. For family, I think aspen/snowmass and vail do well by American standards. Not like idyllic old villages, but still fun.

If it is a good year, conditions will be excellent in late March, lots of sunshine, longer days and chances for big storms. The only thing I am not sure about is being in any one resort for 2 whole weeks. They are still purpose built so it loses it appeal for me after a week. You will probably want a car, so ideas might be vail one week, aspen/snowmass another, or park city and then explore alta/snowbird for a few days, or park city, then spend part of a day and drive to Jackson hole. You could even do Tahoe and combine San Fran /Napa into that trip. Whistler is massive with the possibility of Vancouver /vancouver island as part of that trip. I can't say I like Calgary in the same vein, so I would combine banff with revelstoke. Big sky in Montana and Yellowstone national park also sounds amazing to me. It's really if it's just hard core skiing for 2 whole weeks, or some other distractions.
Again, there will be generally plenty of snow still, even if it's just an average year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bagginsmum wrote:
I've done Banff with the kids and they utterly loved it and desperately want to go back but I'd like to know where else folks recommend

Why not go back to Banff?

Sure, you want to explore some other places. But to me, a ski resort is just a place to slide about. For that, Banff is about as good as it gets. More over, the scenery of Banff is the best this side of the pond! (the problem of visiting one of the best in your first trip is everywhere else is just "meh")

Perhaps spend a week on Banff but take in a couple of the nearby resorts on the second week? So the kids will have their familiar memories refreshed but also some place new too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to Banff about 6 times so love it too! We did a trip out to Kicking Horse (pre kids) when it had just opened. It's still an option!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy