Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Chalet Holidays in Austria Wages law - reported on We Love 2 Ski

Poster: A snowHead
@dsoutar, So, there are people on secondment from Asia who share bedrooms with 2-3 other people and being fed the leftovers from the cantines in their work places? And where would this be? Because I suspect this is not exactly how it works with secondment and certain standards still have to be met.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
never summer wrote:
@dsoutar, So, there are people on secondment from Asia who share bedrooms with 2-3 other people and being fed the leftovers from the cantines in their work places? And where would this be? Because I suspect this is not exactly how it works with secondment and certain standards still have to be met.

Sadly, that isn't exactly uncommon. Assignees from Asia are often given lump sum packages and left to sort out their own living arrangements. Of course, nature being what it is, if savings can be made by individuals that they can pocket, they do. This often creates situations of accommodation multiple occupancy, no oversight on location, no tenancy management and a whole host of issues that are more than borderline in terms of corporate liability.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
France will be next , now that would really set the cat amongst the pigeons .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think any of this is ski-industry specific. Europe's economy has been stagnant for ages, and the protectionist shutters are coming down across the continent, to the detriment of all.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
never summer wrote:

Err, apart from the food which they'll mostly cook their own, it's not uncommon in most of the EU I think you'll find.

Sorry if this comes as a bit of a shock
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@laundryman, it's not I agree. I also agree that economies become more protectionist in difficult periods but let's not forget that the recession and stagnation was caused by an under regulated banking market. Free markets fail because of greed and people abuse free markets. What we are talking about here is regulating the market to pay the minimum wage - not paying people because the economy is weak will not stimulate the economy. I believe economistics agree that the minimum wage is so low that it does not have an adverse impact on employment so what we are talking about here is offering workers a minimum level of protection and a level playing field for employers. SB has been able to unfairly undercut the local operators. If you want equivalence then it should be in all matters not just the ones that suit you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TTT, I'm not aware of any local operators with a similar offering to SBS, at any price.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It may seem from comments on here that T/O's are the big bad wolf however profit margins are very small and if new regulations do come in T/O's will either go bust or be forced to up their prices markedly

Most reps tend to work just a season or two and although living conditions and wages are not the best there are plenty of takers as they are prepared to do it for the lifestyle. Comparing wages isn't all black and white, most overseas workers get a lift pass, ski and boot hire, accommodation, some element of provision for food, transport out at start of season and return and insurance.

Interesting to see what develops but don't think good for the industry . T/O's I would have thought cater most for families and beginners , without them there would be no future skiers and the industry is already suffering from declining numbers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@laundryman, Skivo2: I think that kind of proves my point though - SBS has been able to undercut competitors by not complying with local employment rules.

It's bad news for TOs but good news for employees and local operators. There is a price people are willing to pay. TOs will make lower margins on chalets, use more local operators with lower TO margins and more people will book direct. The TO market has been in a long and steady decline with the internet. People will still ski and supply and demand will set the price as ever - it's just a shift between the players.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TTT,
So you are saying SB has been able to undercut the local operators ! I gather you also mean undercutting the ESF who employ lower paid stiaigere's for the whole season or are you saying that it is ok for the ESF to undercut other schools by being allowed to employ lesser qualified and lower paid staff but not for SB or any other British run school.

I am glad to see that you agree equivalence should be in all matters and not just the ones that suit. So hopefully BASI will now be demanding that British or any other EU member states instructors who are equivalent can open a training school if they get together in groups of ten or more.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My understanding is that the SB "model" has been integrating chalet accommodation with in-house lessons (good ones, from what I've heard) provided by English speaking instructors, in smallish groups. It's an unusual - perhaps a unique - set up but it would appeal to me. (I'd been looking at a stay with them at the time we bought our apartment). It's similar to the arrangements Inside Out have for their holidays, I guess, though IO don't manage the accommodation they use.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@speed098, I was thinking of the chalet staff but I understand that ESF pay their Stagieres much better than SB given the amounts quoted on FB and that SB was employing his instructors as chalet staff for €400/month according to a court case. So I assume that as you support equivalence you believe that SB should be at least paying his staff and instructors minimum wage?

The Brits can if they are French qualified - these are exactly the same rules as the UK. I agree as I've said before I'd like to see BASI trainers of large Brit schools be able to running training programmes in France as they do and for the trainees to get work experience in France during peak periods rather then having to go to CH or Aosta for their work experience as they can in CH.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, skivo2 is the other option. In reality it is easy to combine instruction and accommodation yourself though, IO being an example. SB is able to make additional profit as he has being paying his staff and instructors less than the locals and Brits pay. This is what the debate is really all about. Money. You would have to be gullible to believe otherwise. Many are.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TTT,

Yes he should pay the rate the ESF pay stiaigere's but as they will not allow a British BASI training school it is a mute point, their problem not SB's. It is for them to acknowledge equivalency first if they don't then it is unjust to then accuse someone because you will not allow them full equivalency. But remember the ESF with stiaigere's can undercut a BASI school that has only L4 ISTD's so is it fair on them that ESF can undercut them ?

Brits can if French qualified is to say the least making a mockery of the EU directive on equivalency maybe it would have been better to say stuff BASI you now all need to re-qualify with ESF to work in France.

I do not agree with paying staff under the min wage but I also have to respect that in some jobs the work experience and the cultural experience etc they gain for them makes up the difference. Look at internships as an example many of them did not pay a penny at least the TO pay some money and provide very basic accommodation and food. Yes I accept two wrongs do not make a right TO should pay more in my opinion.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is this a plot by supporters of SB to spread all the arguments about the rights and wrongs of his particular problems across every bloody thread? rolling eyes

This particular thread is about changes in minimum wage laws in AUSTRIA folks, as far as I understand it this is still an SB-Free zone!
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Is this a plot by supporters of SB to spread all the arguments about the rights and wrongs of his particular problems across every bloody thread? rolling eyes

No it isn't. SB was first raised on this thread by TTT, a detractor of SB.
snow report
Sorry @Samerberg Sue, I only mentioned it because it was mentioned by another about SB undercutting local operators.

I am not a supporter of SB either but maybe it is a plot by those who mentioned him first.

Will not mention them initials here again Embarassed
snow conditions
Say something enough times and you can convince yourself it's true.

anyway... there are mountains and skiing in Austria? Shocked Wink
snow conditions
Merely pointing out a few realities to counter the propaganda machine. It is not the one who should not be named thread though. I understand that this is a cross European issue though - not an Austria per se issue as based on EU rules therefore it does impact inconveniently for some all TOs across EU and also CH.
snow report
andy wrote:
Say something enough times and you can convince yourself it's true.

anyway... there are mountains and skiing in Austria? Shocked Wink

I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions !
I won the Euromillions ! X ∞

Nope didn't work ! Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Hope they still have them mountains in Austria at least wink
snow report
@TTT, I agree with you on that score but can we keep the boring circular crap about SB off this Austrian thread.

Seems to be a fairly British problem to me, the Dutch, Scandinavian and other reps I have met are not treated as cattle nor paid peanuts for the pleasure of grabbing a few hours skiing between the demands of their "slave drivers". One hotel I had the misfortune to stay in (out of desperation I hasten to add because I left it too late to book my normal place) was staffed entirely by young people from the UK working their socks off for the most miserable owners it has been my misfortune to meet. The whole set-up was based on the Total Ski French chalet hotel model their daughter had worked in during her "time out". The kids were great and worked damned hard for little thanks or praise, mother and father were heard to speak down to them on more than one occasion as well as order them around in a most arrogant and unfeeling manner. Food was measured out "nouvelle cuisine" style but sadly was not of that standard having mostly come out of a can or a deep-freeze. Portions were abysmal and even someone who eats as little as me was left feeling hungry after a 3 course meal. Most of the clientèle were from the braying classes (including silly drinking games and overly loud talking to the people sitting next to them), had little or no idea of what they were doing and were very happy to "try" Austria while their bonuses were down but "Weally only the Swiss and French know how to run a proper ski wesort dahlings" (I actually heard that conversation and almost choked on my over-priced beer at the bar)!

I committed the cardinal sins of a) knowing where I was and what I was doing, b) having my own skis and transport so was not dependent on either their rubbish equipment nor minibus and c) having the nerve to take an evening out at a local bar where I was able to get some decent fresh food! My friend told me that she had to keep looking out of the windows in the hotel to remind herself she really was in Austria! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Fawlty Towers in the snow!

Complaints made by dissatisfied customers on Trip Adviser have had the Broadway Hotel treatment! Laughing
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, I could not agree more. My particular favourite was a customer in a chalet hotel who wanted fruit instead of desert complained it was not peeled and cut up for her.

it is painful to watch how some brits behave and how they treat locals and staff. All these topics come down to respect for other people. Politeness and respect for locals and staff costs nothing. How hard is is to learn a few local phrases for instance. If it costs me a bit more when I see how they work for how much then so be it. espect for other people is more important than the free market mantra which is just used as an excuse for the stronger to abuse the weaker. We are only talking about the minimum wage here. I would much rather money goes to support the local community and the workers.
latest report
@TTT, The owners of Fawlty Towers in Austria were English not Austrian! Heaven forbid that they would have to deal with the local peasants my dear! Basil and Sybil leased the hotel for their daughter to carry on playing, only this time she could be Capo Di Capo (although Dad held the purse strings very very tightly). Laughing
snow conditions
TTT wrote:

it is painful to watch how some brits behave and how they treat locals and staff. All these topics come down to respect for other people. Politeness and respect for locals and staff costs nothing.

rolling eyes

Of course, one never hears or sees Germans or French behaving in such a manner...oh, wait.....I believe I have, now I come to mention it rolling eyes

The constant bashing and generalisation of bad behaviour by UK holiday-makers and leisure operators by disenfranchised expats and some of the other Europeans is, to my mind, getting both tiresome and boringly repetitive.

Behaviour, both good and bad, is easily attributable to all nationalities and I am sure we can all point to examples. Strange how none of the usual suspects ever comments positively - probably indicative of their general frame of mind or their particular axe that needs regular grinding.

I genuinely feel sorry for you.
latest report
This will be a non story when the UK leaves the EU.

All UK based Ski Companys will have to change their business models. To continue to operate the large operators will have to incorporate a division of their company in Austria or other EU Ski country. Employees will have to be hired & paid,taxed, social, etc in Austria.

If the UK leaves their is likely to be some consequencies from the EU. One of which I forsee will be changes to the freedom of movement & work of non EU citizens & before anyone
mentions Norway or Switzerland.
Neither country is trying to destabalise or alienate the EU. Norway & Switzerland have excellent relations with the EU & Switzerland is even in Schengen.
latest report
@Cacciatore, of course - that is why I said some, it's a segment, none of it applies to my Brit friends. People form their views from their own experiences - it can be good to be open to different experiences and perspectives.
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, of course - that is why I said some, it's a segment, none of it applies to my Brit friends. People form their views from their own experiences - it can be good to be open to different experiences and perspectives.
ski holidays
What was that about boringly repetitive? Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@laundryman, Laughing Laughing superb!
ski holidays
So let's recap. TO's are preventing money been spent on the local economy. BUT, we pay more for ski passes, buy beer from a cartel, pay for lessons and equipment. (Lessons and hire I suspect proportionally, the locals pay a lot less for!) We also buy food on the mountain!

For reference, I for one enjoy coming back with a whole chunk of Euros less when I get back that when I leave. I also struggle with the idea that the cartel is only there to stop me being ripped off!!

If this goes through (assuming France as well), the main result will be less opportunities for youngsters to "do a season". My belief is that this is done primarily for life experience reasons, not for a career. (Always exceptions of course) That is why there is a queue of volunteers to earn slave wages.

And the winners of this initiative are....., well I can't see ANY!!! Skiing costs us more that our Dutch / German friends because we need to fly or take the tunnel. Drive our costs up, there will be less tourists. (See how busy Verbier is these days) Less tourists means less revenue. There is no constant on the number of visitors, costs go up means less visitors! Worse, as alluded to above, cut off the families from skiing, over time UK skiing will become less popular and more elitist. I for one do not like that idea.

Comparisons with AI are valid, BUT recall AI was started by hoteliers (mostly local owned) that wanted a bigger piece of the pie. Indeed, even now the TOs push for this, they need the hoteliers to agree!

Comparison to truck drivers I despair of! Competing for the same work, contributing nothing to the local economy.

I have never worked for a TO and feel no need to defend them. However, the idea they are making big money is a think somewhat fanciful!
ski holidays
When my daughter hosted a chalet, the 4 adults and up to eight kids were paying around £5k a week. Her wages for a fifty hour week, £30. She loved it but quadrupling her wages would have had no impact on the price of the holiday.
snow conditions
jbob wrote:
When my daughter hosted a chalet, the 4 adults and up to eight kids were paying around £5k a week. Her wages for a fifty hour week, £30. She loved it but quadrupling her wages would have had no impact on the price of the holiday.

She should of taken a job in a Bangladeshi Sweatshop, would of been paid more !!
snow conditions
Quote:

Lessons and hire I suspect proportionally, the locals pay a lot less for!

Hire is for tourists. Lessons is called PE or Games at school.

Several of those "UK" TO's are in fact German, although they might have been branded all under a single name now?
snow report
Quote:

And the winners of this initiative are....., well I can't see ANY!!!

Possibly the people who will do those tourism jobs at a more liveable wage? Including East Europeans, many of whom speak excellent English and will work at least as hard as the traditional "chalet slaves" and bring more relevant skills to the job?
snow report
^ but don't assume there will be the same number of jobs when higher wages are mandated.

Some people will pay the higher tourism costs, in which case they will have less to spend on other things, to the detriment of the people involved in supplying other things.

Some people will not pay the higher tourism costs, which will affect tourism employment.
snow report
Ahh, the Eastern Europeans....keeping things competitive on the wages front over here...
snow report
Being only semi-serious here, but when the slave trade was abolished, the proponents of it argued that the trade was necessary to the success and wealth of Britain. The merchants and planters warned that abolition would mean ruin for Britain, as the whole economy would collapse. A bit like the defence put forward to keep the Chalet girls working for the season for the poor old TOs and being paid virtually nothing.

Similarly, when the minimum wage was originally introduced in the UK the policy was opposed by the Conservative party at the time of implementation, who argued that it would create extra costs for businesses and would cause unemployment. David Cameron, said at the time that the minimum wage "would send unemployment straight back up". He now supports it.

My own view is that it is right that people working in various countries should be employed according to the usual rules and terms and conditions of that country. After a short while the market will adjust itself and everyone will wonder what the fuss was all about.
ski holidays
Quote:

So let's recap. TO's are preventing money been spent on the local economy. BUT, we pay more for ski passes, buy beer from a cartel, pay for lessons and equipment. (Lessons and hire I suspect proportionally, the locals pay a lot less for!) We also buy food on the mountain!

In the region where I live lift pass prices are clearly advertised.
There are discounts available if you are part of the ski amade 'all inclusive' holiday or a local, in which case you safe either €15 off either a season ticket or a 7 day pass!
Lessons are the same price for everyone with the exception of 2 weeks offered by the ski school for local children. These are either pre-season or off peak and are €70 for 10 hours of group lessons over 5 days.
I have a good relationship with a local shop. I have never asked for anything but they help me out with discounts on purchases for me and my guests. This is because there is normally around €10,000 of custom offered from our house per year (i have 5 rooms - the hotel mentioned above was for 60 people and had their own ski rental and tech).
If I go to Flachau I pay about €4.50 on the mountain for a beer. I may visit another hut owned or not by the same family and buy a beer for about €4.50. Then I may go home and pop into the club in town and pay about €4.50 for a beer.

Just a few reference points 'tis all....
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
She should of taken a job in a Bangladeshi Sweatshop, would of been paid more !!

Are there many of those in ski resorts then?
latest report
Quote:

lift pass prices are clearly advertised

my experience too. You can get cheap deals on season passes but anyone can - you don't have to be local, or a property-owner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy