Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aravis - La Clusaz - Le Grand Bornand - Manigod 2014-15 thread

Poster: A snowHead
It's that time of year again.....
More to the point, the top of La Balme has had 65cm of snow since last Wednesday....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After a couple of cold clear days La Clusaz have announced that they're opening La Balme sector this weekend.
Earliest I can recall.
Expect queues down to St Jean de Sixt......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great for snow shoeing though
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Er... How come when I type St Jean de Si*t a link to a well known rental car firm appears??? Nothing to do with me... Admin??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only four weeks til we'll be arriving at LGB for the usual Christmas break.

Would be nice to think this early start means plenty of snow by then. Daily webcam surveillance from now on....

No idea about Sixt - could try St Jean de Hertz......

Dave
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That works too.... Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MazDave, Laughing St Jean de Amazon, St Jean de Apple, St Jean de Ebay, St Jean de Tesco's.......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks a very different scene now the snow is falling - @MazDave, Hope the temperature doesn't spoil it over the next few days and you have a great week. We're not out till early January so will be interested to hear from you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hiya Loatie - I've had my virtual nose pressed up against the webcam window for days - trying to avoid reading the doom and gloom threads (and failing)
So glad to see today's improvements - if the rain/snow limit can stay down and the temps cooler then it looks like we might be ok for Xmas week. Everything crossed.
Will post up regularly when we're there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi guys, precipitation started here about 1300, rain below about 1000m in that snow was starting to stick on the road above St Jean de Rentacar.
Still coming down this evening at our place (800m) as icy rain (dogs not impressed) so should look a lot prettier up at station level tomorrow morning.
We're all praying that the predicted rain later doesn't materialise......
We're heading into LGB Friday and will try and find out if any lifts are going to be opening.
Still, could be worse, middle son is currently in Meribel, with a new pair of skis Skullie
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gvj, thanks Geraint - really looking forward to seeing you soon and your reports as our resident correspondent!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just taken this from LGB Homepage. Allowing for Google Translate, I think the gist is clear. Sad

The first weekend of the Christmas holiday is traditionally the opening of the vast majority of ski areas in the region. This is particularly the case with regard to the Grand-Bornand station. The lack of snow noted a few days holiday does not allow us, in the state, to consider access to the slopes for skiers under the usual conditions. Only the ski areas "children" will be proposed and a pedestrian access to several ski lifts to discover the ski area differently: waymarked walking trails, paragliding, panoramas, ... Moreover, aware that the mountain is also a place relaxation and healing, all actors of Grand-Bornand is currently very mobilized to implement a program of activities and enhanced animations. It will be available this Thursday 18 at night. All services and resort providers ensure the best support you during your stay in the resort. The offer ski and proposed activities may change at any time based on changing weather conditions in the coming days.

Perhaps La Balme at La Clusaz will be the best bet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, been raining all night here from a very high cloud base. 5 degrees this morning at Chinaillon......winter is postponed......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just had an email from the ski hire shop we use (Twinner) offering delay or refund of booking due to not opening this weekend.... Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really? Nothing open at all in La Clusaz/LGB?
ski holidays
La Clusaz hasn't made any announcement about the coming weekend yet but I'd be amazed if they opened anything other than La Balme, and if they do it will be heaving. Can't see LGB opening before the post Christmas weekend at the earliest. Randonee above 2k going to be the only feasable option in the Aravis this side of 2015 i fear Sad
ski holidays
I would be surprised if La Balme doesn't open on 20th. The website indicates 80cm and it's a snowy scene from the cams. Maybe worth checking with the Tourist Office.
ski holidays
Snap @gvj, Our timing is obviously in sync!
latest report
http://en.laclusaz.com is down !?!? I suspect a news update is pending. Expecting a limited opening on Saturday. Sad
snow report
@darrenm, both the La Clusaz and Le Grand Bornand websites are ropey at the best of times, which this, clearly, is not. Did I see on another thread that you and your boy are just out here for 4 days pre Christmas? If you let us know what kind of skiing you're looking for then the "locals" on here may be offer advice so that you both have the best possible time in the circumstances. How old is your son? Would anything else appeal to him apart from skiing......
snow report
@gvj Yes, fly out tomorrow evening. Booked a 4 day skiweekender trip 6 months ago and been looking forward to it since. My son is 10, been skiing since he was 4. We're both confident skiers just looking for some fun for a few days. Absolutely gutted that nature has intervened. Any tips on where to go greatly appreciated. Got a feeling we might be snowshoeing ...
snow conditions
Further update from LGB courtesy google translate again:

The unseasonably warm weather in early December was right the first snow fell in November. In the last 24 hours it has fallen from 10 to 20 cm of snow on the ski slopes, this layer is not yet sufficient to guarantee the state in an opening of safe trails. Although short-term forecasts are not favorable (lingering sweetness), a preparation of several ski slopes at altitude is being Maroly in the sector for a partial opening representing approximately 8 to 10% of the ski area . This possibility of partial opening will only be confirmed Friday 19 early in the afternoon. According to Meteo France, the return to winter conditions is expected from Christmas Day.

A glimmer of hope
ski holidays
@darrenm, Skiweekender are good and should know where to bus you for the best available snow. If you end up heading for La Balme try and get there as early as possible..... If we hear any more we'll let you know.
snow report
Heading out to Manigod for the second week in Feb. We had a great time last year which was the kids first week skiing, we had great conditions and I'm hoping for more of the same. Sorry for those going to the mountains soon but I hope this late start to the season brings plenty of the White stuff by the turn of the new year.
snow conditions
More rumours that LGB Maroly sector may have a limited opening this weekend. Lots of snow being trucked down from Col de la Colombiere and used to make the children's play park serviceable and create a skiable path from Maroly to Chinaillon.
snow conditions
Yes, looking at the Maroly webcams I would say it's looking hopeful. The snowpark is taking shape and pistes are being bashed. If it weren't for the fact that you can see how the rain affected the snow too, (dammit) it looks a beautiful few days to come in the mountains. But certainly better vibe than a few days ago.
snow report
Well, hats off to them for the following:

Updated information Friday, 19/12/2014 at 15h. "Very unusual conditions ... but you can ski in Grand Bornand! "With the snowfall of December 17 and very careful preparation of some tracks Maroly altitude in the sector, the Grand Bornand station will be able to offer customers the start of the Christmas holidays a gliding area for all levels. About 10 km of green and blue runs are accessible by chairlift Chatelet Le Grand-Bornand Chinaillon, the "tracks off" connections from Le Grand-Bornand village is provided exclusively by road. The short-term weather forecasts are unfavorable (lingering sweetness), the partial opening may be revised even challenged depending in particular on security conditions, every effort is made to keep the best gliding activity in the Alpine area.
latest report
Both La Clusaz and LGB have just announced that they are opening on Sunday 21st (maybe hoping Saturday night will be cold enough for snow making?)
Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've just spent about three hours skiing today. We didn't get on the first lift until 12.00 (first day and all that). We only used Le Chatelet, Maroly and Terres Rouges. Snow at the top was actually pretty good - better than I'd expected. The links and the Le Lac were mostly very icy but the sun has been lovely. It's been cold out of the sun - around 2 deg.

No sign of any more snow on the horizon so we'll have to see what the pisteurs can manage for tomorrow.....
snow report
@MazDave, So glad for you Dave - It looked beautiful on the webcams - I know it's not a lot but so much better than nothing which is what seemed likely only a few days ago. The pisteurs in LGB and all the other resorts which have managed to get something open against the odds have done an amazing job.
latest report
Managed a couple of hours today - the best run was the Chardons Blanc red run. The blue down to the Chalet du Maroly was really sketchy by 13.00 though. I'll be impressed if they can open that again tomorrow. Afternoon spent shopping - new helmet bought, just hope I can use it this trip....

Still beats Christmas in the UK in my book.
latest report
Our last day of skiing today - no snow to speak of overnight but we woke to all of the snow cannons running across the resort.
We skied the only open pistes again which were all really nice at the top. The blue section above the (excellent) Chalet du Maroly was interesting - grabby artifical snow interspersed with sheet ice.
We'll be leaving tomorrow as the snow arrives rolling eyes

We'll definitely be coming back to this apartment though - it's the best we've ever had - but it won't be until next Christmas now.
ski holidays
@MazDave, so sorry you didn't have better conditions. Well remember holidays when our children were small when we ended up skiing in rain, mud, fog etc etc still better than being stuck in the UK.
Hope you have a trouble free journey home given that the white stuff has finally arrived.
ski holidays
@gvj, any chance of an update following the recent snowfall. I fly out on the 8th Jan, do you think there's sufficient base now to open everything up and keep it open? Still have an option to switch to Tignes. Would prefer to try La Clusaz but not if conditions are poor...... decisions decisions....
latest report
@nickr, I'd go for La Clusaz. Even with no new natural snowfall the open runs might actually increase between now and then: it's forecast to stay cold for most of the time so they'll be able to make snow.
latest report
@nickr, What a very strange day on the slopes of Le Grand Bo. Lots of new snow, obviously, maybe an average of 50cm of fluffy light powder all over Lachet. So ski heaven, right? Weelll.....sort of. Several things prevented that. Not all the resort was open, all the blacks, top of Lachat, Duche and Col des Annes still closed with blasting going on. On piste great at first but then light got very flat as cloud rolled in, also by mid morning the lack of any decent base meant that bare patches and moguls were popping up all over. Off piste some great turns to be had but rocks very close to surface made it a bit of a risk. Snow cannon running everywhere. I think things will actually be a lot better in a day or two once the pisteurs have had a good go at things. Mind you, skied with son today who was in Val Thorens last week and he said today was so much better so height ain't everything. Envers run to village open and in nice shape. Hope that helps.......
latest report
gvj wrote:
@MazDave,
Hope you have a trouble free journey home given that the white stuff has finally arrived.

We left at 9am headed for Paris - got there at 8pm....
Still a lot better than many

Hope you all enjoy the new snow

We'll be back...
ski holidays
@denfinella, @gvj, thanks for feedback. Think I'll take a risk and stay with La Clusaz. Will let you know how things pan out....
latest report
@nickr, I think you'll have a great time. TBH I don't know of anywhere in France that's likely to be up to their seasonal average snow fall when you're due to travel and one could argue that lower resorts like the Aravis ones that have invested heavily in snow making and really good piste management are better used to coping with a dodgy season start than higher resorts that haven't been used to having to try so hard.
Having said that we experienced our worst lift queues ever in LGB at Gettiez and Floria yesterday, thanks to les vacances and because Lachat was still shut - this time due to high winds, I think. Still, Col des Annes was open at last and the thigh deep powder off the top was virtually untracked snowHead No.2 son was nice enough to wait - so good we suffered the Col des Annes chair twice to do it all over again.
snow report
]@gvj[/b], cheers for the update, I agree, all French resorts seem well below their average base depths, but I just wanted to ensure that there was a fair amount of skiing terrain open. Obviously the EK being higher and far more extensive would offer a lot more terrain than LC even in poor conditions. As it stands, pretty much everything is now open it seems at LC so should be fine, though don't like the look of the long range forecast which is currently showing a rise in temperatures and a lot of rain.... with any luck the temps might drop a bit and I'll be skiing thigh deep powder too

I didn't get to ski last year as my wife was taken ill so I've been looking forward to this trip for sometime and just want to get some decent skiing in.... either which way it'll beat sitting in the office Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy