Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Becoming a snowboard instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Hey, Ive been snowboarding for about four years now and have reached a pretty good standard, and would love to work on the slopes as an instructor. Im planning to spend a full season on the slopes this time round and then hopefully will be doing an instructors course, but was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about it, i.e- where's good to do it and with who?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dannyboy, welcome to snowHeads. I'll leave it to the others to make the jokes about snowboard instructors Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes, i did hear about a conversation where a snowboard instructor was asked what was the hardest thing about teaching snowboarding. His reply was "stretching it out so that you have something to teach on the second day". Probably an urban myth but what the heck.

Dannyboy, I assume that you've checked out BASI etc and are also well up on the problems between BASI and the French authorities about whether non French-qualified staff can teach in France. The problem seems to be that unless you can ski (yes SKI) a Super G course within a set time (which is pretty bloody hard, apparently), you cannot get the top BASI qualification and are heavily restricted about what you can and cannot do.

Austria or Italy might be easier from that point of view.

I would have thought that BASI themselves could point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dannyboy, if you could come to the States, you could easily get a full-time snowboard teaching gig for the entire season. Most resorts are just begging for snowboarding instructors! It would be quite straight-forward to get your level I snowboard cert. If you're teaching full-time, you could probably also get your level II cert in a single year. With those two certs, you could pursue higher levels within BASI or other similar organizations. You need to be level III cert before it applies to ISIA.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't imagine there would be that much demand for snowboard instructors. Most boarders seem content to hurtle down on their own, out of control, decapitating learner skiers in the process Wink

Only kidding. Have you thought about starting to teach over here - on either dry slopes or indoor snowdomes? Perhaps that's a start?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My first snowboard instructor was a legend- mad south african guy, had us in the snow park on the first afternoon! Dont teach in France- theyre all wingers!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee, gosh, you've met them all?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ssh, Cheers all! (well apart from the skiiers) As i said Im thinkin about spending a full season on t' slopes this time around, and i know that the flights to the states would be a lot more expensive, but how does the cost of accomodation e.t.c compare to Europe?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dannyboy, if you're going to teach snowboarding, you'd just find some other 'boarders to share floorspace, wouldn't you? I'm also not sure that the flights are that much more. The biggest challenge (as I understand it) is getting your work visa in place.

Locations like Copper actually have employee housing. You're not going to make any money, but you're likely to break even over a season. It's certainly worth some web searches and putting in your application on-line and seeing what happens.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, I wouldn't bet against her! Laughing snowHead Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dannyboy, you could try looking for advice on Natives. I'm sure there'll be people with experience over there that'll help.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Natives is excellent Dannyboy, if you want to be sure of getting somewhere for next season you need to start applying for jobs/ finding accomodation now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
couple of mates did there casi (canaidian assosiation of snowboard instructors) said it was good cost about £160 for there level 1(there are 5 levels) now they can teach beginners and kids excepted worldwide (i think) probably apart from france, the french will be french
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
couple of mates did there casi (canaidian assosiation of snowboard instructors) in whistler said it was good cost about £160 for there level 1(there are 5 levels) now they can teach beginners and kids excepted worldwide (i think) probably apart from france, the french will be french.
and if you want to go to canada i am looking for house mates in whistler. more info at www.snowboardom.com
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dannyboy, I did an instructor course in Whistler last year and had a blast. I paid quite a bit for mine but, with the benefit of hindsight, it can be done on a much lower budget. In respect of CASI only: it can be done for the £160 registration fee that snowboardom mentions but that is purely for registration on the course. Remember:

1. even if you are proficient, they will want you to ride in their style... you might have to re-style your riding;
2. there is a reasonable amount of theory and, if it's a long time since you learnt, it might be hard to think back to what you have to present to a beginner (one guy on my course failed because he couldn't dumb it down. i.e. he carved when he was trying to demonstrate a basic sliding traverse).

I would recommend at least a few lessons from an instructor and/or a few tutorials on the Instructor Handbook to give you a headstart. The level 2 instructor course is a big step up and I doubt whether you could get their on your own. On my course only 4 out of 28 passed and several who failed had been teaching for at least one season.

As for where to take the course, think about where you want to teach because, if I understand correctly, not every country recognises each other's standards. i.e. if you train in Canada, you might not be able to teach in NZ. From what I've heard, France recognises almost no other country and you have to be a high level skier before you can take the snowboard exam.

Finally:

Q: What is the difference between a snowboard instructor and his students?
A: About 3 days.
snow conditions
Dannyboy, I did an instructor course in Whistler last year and had a blast. I paid quite a bit for mine but, with the benefit of hindsight, it can be done on a much lower budget. In respect of CASI only: it can be done for the £160 registration fee that snowboardom mentions but that is purely for registration on the course. Remember:

1. even if you are proficient, they will want you to ride in their style... you might have to re-style your riding;
2. there is a reasonable amount of theory and, if it's a long time since you learnt, it might be hard to think back to what you have to present to a beginner (one guy on my course failed because he couldn't dumb it down. i.e. he carved when he was trying to demonstrate a basic sliding traverse).

I would recommend at least a few lessons from an instructor and/or a few tutorials on the Instructor Handbook to give you a headstart. The level 2 instructor course is a big step up and I doubt whether you could get their on your own. On my course only 4 out of 28 passed and several who failed had been teaching for at least one season.

As for where to take the course, think about where you want to teach because, if I understand correctly, not every country recognises each other's standards. i.e. if you train in Canada, you might not be able to teach in NZ. From what I've heard, France recognises almost no other country and you have to be a high level skier before you can take the snowboard exam.

Finally:

snow conditions

Finally:

ski holidays
Welcome, Tearaway! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy