Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, but they would say that, wouldn't they?!?! Bit like Sony telling you to replace your telly if there's a storm outside.

I can understand the theory for replacing them after an accident (just as you have to with cycle helmets), but the cycle helmet I bought (many years ago) had a replacement guarantee - it cost a bit more, but guaranteed lifetime replacements after accidents.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GBoswood wrote:

The UK government made it compulsory to wear seat belts in cars about 20 years ago, people didn`t suddenly start driving like they were indestructible.

Average road speeds now are higher than 20 years ago... people in cars may be safer but are other road users?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Really?

I don`t think the speed limit has been raised in the past 20 years?

Is this real info or just your opinion?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think even Martin C would agree (when not in wind up mode) that crash helmets are a sensible option and are not making the slopes a more dangerous place.

Maybe a family zone would also be a better option for people who do not want to ski fast.

I still think having 1 too many at lunch is going to get you in a lot more trouble than donning a bash hat.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 25-02-04 12:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim wrote:

Sherman-maeir - I knew about wrist injuries when boarding, so when "my little darling" and I learnt to board in January we both had wrist guards (and bum pads), and very glad we did too.

Next time you are on a conference at Belle Plagne ask for the rate of injuries to the upper spinal column for under 16s wearing and not wearing helmets. The figures may suprise you.

Also ask them which helmet manufacturers sponsor this work.

You may also like to ask them why, during a period where helmet use has doubled amongst children... from 25% to close to 60%, there is no significant improvement in the figures for head injuries and why they are worse for snowboard injuries.

Just to put all this in context you have a 0.0001% chance of having a head injury each ski season (using the French Govt. figures). Statistically speaking your child is at more risk of a serious head injury in the back of your car (better not forget that helmet) or from diving into a hotel swimming pool or the sea.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Just to put all this in context you have a 0.0001% chance of having a head injury each ski season (using the French Govt. figures).

Could you point me to the site where you got this info? I just find it rather unbelieveable that 1 in a million people that going skiing each year suffer from a head injury.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sherman-maeir... I can see all of that, but you don't use the stats showing the odds against the likelihood of you having a crash in your car to justify not putting on your seatbelt... (do you?!). We all know there are lies, damn lies and statistics, but common sense should tell us that if you've got something on your head to cushion the impact, in the great majority of cases it's likely to decrease the severity of the impact and resultant injury.
When my 6 year old son was taken out from behind by a Orcières Merlette boarder a couple of seasons back, he did a kind of backward flip and landed, head pointing up the slope. The rather large boarder fell in an attempt to slow down, his board downslope, his momentum causing a second heavy impact between the edge of his board and my son's head and neck. He suffered a nasty gash to the neck and the helmet was cracked open. I dread to think what would have happened if he hadn't been wearing a helmet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sherman-maeir,

I didn`t think you would be able to source your figures and think they might be what you think rather than the actual facts. Below is a report from the CPSC:

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff is recommending skiers and snowboarders wear helmets to help prevent head injuries from falls and collisions. In a study released today, the CPSC staff concluded that helmet use by skiers and snowboarders could prevent or reduce the severity of 44 percent of head injuries to adults, and 53 percent of head injuries to children under the age of 15. The proportion of skiing and snowboarding head injuries is higher in children than in any other age group.

In 1997, there were 17,500 head injuries associated with skiing and snowboarding. The CPSC study estimates that 7,700 head injuries -- including 2,600 head injuries to children -- could be prevented or reduced in severity each year by using skiing or snowboarding helmets. The study also shows that helmet use could prevent about 11 skiing- and snowboarding- related deaths annually.

"We know that helmet use can prevent serious head injuries in a wide variety of sports and activities, including bicycling and in-line skating," said CPSC Chairman Ann Brown. "This study of skiing and snowboarding shows that helmets can prevent or reduce the severity of head injuries on the slopes, just as they do on the streets."

The study of head injuries associated with skiing and snowboarding was conducted as part of CPSC's ongoing work to reduce head injuries in a variety of sports and activities.

In addition to the CPSC staff study, research in other countries has shown that helmets can help prevent head injuries to skiers. In Sweden, a national study found that head injuries among skiers wearing helmets were 50 percent lower than for skiers not wearing helmets.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GBoswood wrote:
Quote:

Just to put all this in context you have a 0.0001% chance of having a head injury each ski season (using the French Govt. figures).

Could you point me to the site where you got this info? I just find it rather unbelieveable that 1 in a million people that going skiing each year suffer from a head injury.

erm my mistake a: 1/11,000 chance of having an accident in any season. 1000 head injuries against 11,000,000 skiers (from Medecins du Montagne and French Tourist Board websites - as the original poster was at a conference in France)

As is pointed out lower down... lies, damn lies and statistics. Take them all with a pinch of salt.

I'm not anti-helmet... I even wear one on my bike sometimes and for climbing. I just wanted to make a few points.

1. statistics don't tell the whole picture and can be manipulated (e.g. less head injuries but more spinal injuries)

2. people have a tendency to fixate on certain extreme risks while ignoring the mundane... how many helmeted snowboarders do you see smoking fags? (doh!).

3. some people love lecturing to others about what they should and should not do and believe that we need more legislation to enforce their point of view.

Now in this thread some people have said that they only want to ensure kids wear helmets. Same was said for cycling, but there is now an increasingly vocal pressure group (UK) wanting to mandate helmets for adult cyclists. It is the nanny state gone mad I think. Of course, the problem for road users, adult and children is vehicle drivers nicely protected inside their airbag, crumple zoned, seat belted cages.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree entirely that it should be individuals choice.

Also as you say there is always a knee jerk reaction by certain members of the public usually fuelled by the press.

I am a hemet wearer after having hugged a tree and am trying to persuade the missus that she should also wear one. She feels that as she is a "Sunday Afternoon skier" that she does need one but that doesn`t stop an out of control skier or boarder taking her out.

General observation is that it seems like a lot more Americans/Canadians wear them than Europeans. The trend in Europe does seem to be moving towards helmets though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We (my two children, my mother, my best friends and his two children) skied Champoluc this past Saturday. All four children did wear helmets (ages 9, 8, 8 and 5)
Two episodes:
1-Skiing down a run I see someone lying on the ground with a bunch of people around. I stopp and inqury on the happening:
The girl just collided with another person, and took a hit on the head. She was really in pain, but she wore an helmet, and the hit was directly on top of the head.
She may thank her helmet if no major damages have occoured...
2-Brought the kids (all four) "offpiste" (just few feet outside a run, really) where some bumps had formed, to make them jump and have a bit of fun.
On the second or third time we were doingthis, my second son, who is fond of jumping, maybe a tad too much, took too much speed, jumped big (and I mean big for a kid his age) landed, crashed and proceeded to hit my salomon toepiece (that pointy darn thing) with his head, thank you very much, Mr. Helmet!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim-are you anaesthetists still managing to get a conference in Belle Plagne-lucky devils. ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I reckon Helen's scheme is to become a super-mega-snowHead in double-quick time Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After being head-butted during a collision with a helmet wearer and suffering severe concussion, I've decided to start wearing one. My injuries wouldn't have been so bad if me bonce had been protected.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have worn a helmet since a trip to Tignes two years ago. the guy in the next room fell on the nursery slope and banged his head. Next morning he didn't wake up, and was airlifted to hospital. He has a helmet, but had left it at home. The helmet doesn't make me feel invincible, I am sure that it gives only a small amount of protection, but probably enough to stop a similar fate. It has saved me from a nasty injury, Sam swung his skis round when getting on to a train and thumped the edges hard onto my right ear and temple, it hurt, but no damage. I expect that would have been serious without a helmet, at least stitches, a severe headache and the end of that holiday. The kids have had a few bangs on the head and I'm sure theirs have saved them a couple of times, again from minor injury, nothing live threatening.
snow conditions
I stopped to help a lad (about 10) who had wiped out on some ice. I picked up his ski and went down to him. As I went to pass him his ski, I side slipped slightly on the ice, tried to regain my balance and dropped his ski on his head - was I glad he had a helmet on!! Embarassed
ski holidays
All children should wear helmets as in a collision between a big person & a small person the big person invariably wins. More people are wearing helmets because more of the "cool" people (half pipe riders, big air jumpers and freeriders) are using them. Of course a certain percentage of idots also wear them, but their idiocy is not the fault of the helmet. People hit each other because they ski beyond their limits and don't care about others. Learn to ski properly, ski within your limits and execute dangerous skiers!!
latest report
Quote:

People hit each other because they ski beyond their limits and don't care about others.

Easiski, I dont think all collisions are necessarily someone's fault. Many are just bad luck: people do unexpected things. We bump into each other on the pavement just walking along. I agree we should all learn to ski properly and ski within our limits. Really dangerous skiers should be disembowelled (execution's too good for them), but we must accept that accidents will happen.
snow conditions
Helen wrote:

Jonpim-are you anaesthetists still managing to get a conference in Belle Plagne-lucky devils. ?

Helen, intrigued by the "still". But, yes, every January 300+ gassers congregate in Belle Plagne. You can see this year's program at http://www.doctorsupdates.com/. It's a hard week. By the end of it you definitely need a holiday.
latest report
Not sure about some of the conclusions made by the CPSC - they are not a disinterested party after all.

Helmets may well reduce injury but prevent deaths? Compared with a motorcycle helmet, ski helmets are flimsey things and on a motor bike the helmet is only marginal in preventing death.

Now let me see - statistics - if the helmet has prevented a nasty bruise does this get recorded? If a macho type gets a big bruise does he (usually a he) declare it as an accident?

How much does a helmet add to the danger of whiplash?

Just musing, I am a helmet user - saves a lot of headaches when on hard pack but I would not try headbutting a tree.
latest report
If you make an activety appear safer, people take more risks whilst doing it.
This is a fact. It applies to everything from skiing to driving.

However, ultimately, it is all down to the mindset of the particiapant.

Of far more use in preventing accidents and injury would be to remove the lift pass from anyone using dope, those speeding in busier areas and likewise, mobile breath-testers removing passes from those who are 'drunk'.

The last point especially so - have seen far too many people, usually either young kids or late-middle aged men, to drunk to behave with any manners, decorum or sense on slopes all over Europe.

These, unfortunately, aren't usually the people who have the accidents, but very often the people who cause them.
I believe this is done in US, won't be long before it is in Europe, too. Not before time.

Before I get blasted, I don't want to stop people having a drink over lunch - but there are too many who take it too far. The frequency rate for accidents peaks ca. 2-3pm - principally due to people being pissed.
latest report
John I'm not so sure, cycle helmets are fairly flimsy yet many doctors seem to claim that since more cyclists have started to wear them the number of serious head injuries has decreased.

My personal feeling is that kids should always wear helmets (because they have no fear) and that adults going off piste, especially those going through trees should also wear the things.

On piste however I don't think they'll make huge amounts of difference to most skiers but given the amount of time that boarders spend lazing arround in a prone postion on the slopes maybe they should consider wearing them, oh and possibly begginers lacking confidence if it helps.
ski holidays
And as mentioned in 'Piste Rules', I reckon the tour operators could do more too. Circulate simple information sheets to holidaymakers on the subject of piste safety, the dangers of off-piste skiing, and safely using equipment, before they even set off - a pamphlet or two in with the tickets wouldn't bankrupt them....

You're right about the drinking thing although dope is more likely to make them slow down!
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:

cycle helmets are fairly flimsy yet many doctors seem to claim that since more cyclists have started to wear them the number of serious head injuries has decreased.

We seem to be covering the same ground again, see earlier in this thread - http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1325#1325
If people are put off cycling then head injuries will reduce.
snow report
Hi, I have decided to buy a helmet before I go again (hopefully in a few weeks) following my head bash in January. I need one that won't shut my ears off (as I'm partially deaf and need to hear all I can, though I don't mind soft ear cover). Everyone seems to recommend the Giro 9.9. I have a S&R brochure but they don't do them. Where do you buy them? (I am planning to pop to London to get one). Thanks. Very Happy
latest report
I think Ellis Brigham do Giro nine-9

giro helmets at www.ellis-brigham.com
ski holidays
Beans of Bicester was the cheapest place for one when I was deciding whether to go for one or not (ended up not - leave it one more year!!)

It's £80 from them and free delivery.

Beans online helmets
snow conditions
Pete I was refering to the UK where they are not compulsory and wear I think you will find the accident figures will bear me out, I don't think we should be made to wear them but I do think that under certain situations wearing them might not be a bad idea
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd be interested to know what how many people still cycle. It is very difficult to get statistics for how much cycling and of what type is being done.

Here in Southampton there are far fewer cyclists on the road than there used to be. I've more or less given up due increased aggressive attitudes from car drivers and a huge increase in the number of rumble strips and speed bumps which I'd much rather go over in a car then on a bike (OK, a bit of laziness as well). Many more cyclists now ride on pavements, an action which as well as being illegal, I disapprove of. Thankfully, most of them go slower than they would on the road and this probably helps to reduce injuries as much as helmets would.

I agree that under certain situations (quite a few really) wearing helmets is not a bad idea. But, there is the inconvenience factor. If I wore a helmet while cycling I would cycle even less and use the car more. I need all the exercise I can get and not wearing a helmet is a very acceptable risk.
snow report
I never found wearing a cycle helmet was a problem. The roads in Cambridge are very busy (although generally relatively cycle-friendly) and even if the traffic's slow-moving, you can still come a cropper.

I don't wear a helmet for skiing, but would always wear one when cycling (generally slower than skiing, as well) - does this make me a hypocrite?
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
... we must accept that accidents will happen.

Accidents? ACCIDENTS???!!! No such thing! We must have people to blame! LITIGATION RULES!!

Martin
contact me for first class no-win-huge-fee compensation service.
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Wearing a cycling helmet would be no great problem, except perhaps when it's hot.

The inconvenience I mean is having to get dressed up in it in the first place, then when you've reached your destination (shopping say), you've got to carry a helmet around with you. Can't leave it on the bike, it would get nicked. Given the choice of faffing around with a helmet or driving a car and the car looks very attractive.

Long term, cycling without a helmet is safer than driving, due to the health benefits. Don't discourage cycling with helmet laws.
ski holidays
Peter. When got to destination, don't take helmet off and carry it: keep your helmet on - shops very dangerous places.
snow report
Which reminds me, do the same when you come out of a conference - it's very helpful for complete strangers who don't know your name to read your plastic name badge and know you're called John.
snow report
Jonpim, -met several of you on the lifts in both 1999 and 2000, not sure I met you though. My hubby and I are both Pharmacists, and our conference was in Birmingham! We were very impressed with your breakfast lectures and apres-ski vin chaud in lobby of Eldorador.
snow report

Over the 1998-1999 season a French government survey* of 10 resorts in the Alps, Jura and Pyrenees (12% of the total French winter sports resort holiday population) produced the above figures. Unsurprisingly a larger percentage of children are involved in collisions. The study also confirms that a larger proportion of children involved in collisions suffer head/face trauma than in other age groups.

Of those children who suffered head/face trauma, 25.6 % were wearing helmets. In the same survey 40.8 % of total children in the resorts were wearing helmets. The risk of head injury to those wearing a helmet therefore seems to be nearly halved.

So with a 1 in 66 chance of children of 10 and under suffering a head injury as a result of a collision with another piste user (and of course such injuries can be caused in other ways, increasing the odds) it makes sense to kit them out properly (and with a helmet that actually fits). Children should also be regularly warned about taking care on the piste, and to respect piste rules.

As for adolescents upwards.... well, it's your life!

* Survey link (in French)
snow report
Seen this thread rather late, as usual.
As an off-piste skier I sometimes join a crowded piste and it feels dangerous!

Perhaps I should think about it more seriously. The only time I've skied with a helmet on was last time at Milton Keynes snowdome nearly 2 years ago, when I did a couple of jumps (helmets are compulsory if you do).

I must admit that I often ski through trees, but the only times I ever worry about my head are the very occasional steep bits where there are rocks below to fall onto if I make a mistake.

If the people I ski with wore them I'd probably have thought about it more seriously, but in the last few years I've only once skied with someone who wore a helmet. Perhaps its something to do with the age of the people involved.
ski holidays
In Val Thorens last week of the season (almost all Dutch, mostly boarders, mostly under 30s) there seemed to be a bigger proportion of people with helmets than I'd noticed in recent years. Perhaps it's becoming fashionable? Still in Val Thorens, a couple (one skier, one boarder) were coming down a very narrow and steep gully near the 'Col' red while I was watching. The skier just couldn't make the turns, and fell backwards several feet onto some rocks... I could hear the shout of pain from the chairlift I was on, his back hit first, then the back of his head. He didn't have a helmet. Nasty accident, stretchered off, blood everywhere.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Perhaps it's becoming fashionable?

I would certainly say so. If anything, the boarding culture is making them more acceptable. You see a lot of boarders wearing them (I am one of them!) but I do sometimes feel that they are now becoming part of the uniform for any boarder that thinks of himself (because it usually is a he) as a "serious" rider who will go off-piste at any opportunity.

There's nothing wrong with that just as long as the head inside the helmet remembers that the helmet can only do so much and does not make the wearer invincible and does not alter your impact on others.

I wouldn't dream of going off-piste or in trees without my helmet, and now that i have one, it is automatic for me to wear it all of the time.
ski holidays
You don't really get collisions off-piste, though of course I've heard stories of people in steep couloirs knocking others over so they fell down onto rocks.
Perhaps if I skied more often with people under 35 I'd have seen more helmets, but one helmet from perhaps 100 people I've skied with in recent years seems rather low if what you say is true.
Mind you, I was talking to Graham Berry the day before he hit a tree and died (Though I don't think a helmet would have saved a broken neck).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy