Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

aaargh..ski resort for someone with fear of heights!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
stevew, no one had jumped off it last week, but much to my relief it had not yet opened. wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
zippy, chairs in the centre of Tignes, short and free for beginners. Ski school meeting points in villages( on slopes)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
zippy, Althoug the nursery slopes in Tignes are fine, with slow low chairs he will probably want to progress up the mountain during the course of the week and although the funicluar would be fine there is not a lot else at ground level.

There are probably not a lot of English group lessons in St Luc but from memory this has one access funicular and the rest are drags other than the links to Chandolin. Not a package destination either.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
zippy, Tignes is 3-4 centres sharing a common ski area with Val Disease. The schools all have a 'bunny' slope with a free lift but getting away from that will need the services of the chair system . . . and some of them are still pretty rustic. Val Claret at the top of the valley by the funicular is probably the best location and not just because the 'bunny' slope is quite 'challenging' for a beginner but also nearly a kilometer long.
I like Tignes but it's not a place for a holiday . . . you go to ski or board and the schools are first class because of that. If you just want to play and party there are better resorts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rather than go to France to experience an up and down chairlift, there is one on the Isle of Wight at the Needles pleasure park, to take tourists down to the beach and back up again- Its great fun Toofy Grin website and some pics of the chairlift here
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zippy, Can't say for Tignes, but to answer your earlier post re. Cervinia. My recollection is that the ski school would meet in the village and use the nursery drags for the first part of the week (4 i definitely remember, inc. 2 big ones in succession from which you can ski to the mid-station point, Plan Maison). After this, the intermediate groups would graduate to meeting at Plan Maison itself, from which there are more lifts, including the gondola up to Plateau Rosa for the connection to Zermatt, but still a few drags - quick search says there are 11 in total for the resort (out of 26).

It was a while ago since I was there (February 2001), but have fond memories - this being the place where i finally started to enjoy skiing snowHead (was a very nervous beginner...!). Lots of wide cruise-y runs and generous piste grading - so definitely an intermediates resort, but with more demanding skiing over the Zermatt side when the weather is OK.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS - zippy what about Courchevel 1650? Friend of mine completely lost it a couple of years ago on a chairlift there and so became probably the only boarder in the three valleys actively seeking out drag-lifts (poor ******). That said, he was able to amuse himself OK for the rest of the week on those drags and another gondola (until that was too much as well)...

Real shame though - the guy is a pretty good boarder, always loved it, but is talking that he may never ride again Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zippy, personally I wouldn't pick Tignes in your circumstances....it's a great resort but if he picks up skiing then there's not much option to get on the chairs, the resort lifts are so good there's virtually nothing else! If you want to go to that neck of the woods the better beginners skiing is over on the Val d'Isere side but you'll still have no option but to ride the chairs....

To be fair though, Mr HH learnt to ski in Soldeu....his very first lift ride was the gondola up to the nursery slopes! He survived....just! Once up on top it was mostly drags so he didn't have a problem...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You should try Yllas, Finland they only have drag/t bar lifts there so you should be ok, good pisted skiing too, not overly challanging though, apart from when the low cloud comes in and you can't see more than a few metres in front of you.

More info here ~~~> http://www.yllas.fi/?deptid=8951
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wizlyn, Tell him to get in touch with me - I may be able to suggest some help for him. I ended up with such severe vertigo about 25 years ago that I couldn't even ski down a red run! (I was a Grade 2 at the time). I'm much better now. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, that's really kind. He's such a stubborn so and so though (men can be so rubbish... sigh) - he's almost given up on it already. And to be fair, talking about it later, it had been building up for several years, and he was really giving it "one last go" then. I'll point him your way...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Could try Val Claret; I imagine that the beginners slopes are close to the village,a nd there are a few drags (altho' at least one claims to be for expert drag artists only). If he makes any sort of progress, 'though, he'll be on chairs after a couple of days. If he's really going to stick to drags, he might as well not bother.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
anyone got any opinions on Soll? Any good for said same beginner?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zippy, Was discussing your quandrary with Mr HH whilst riding the (not too scary) gondola in Les Carroz. Have you thought about Vars/Risoul? Lots of drags when we were there...some boringly long ones as I recall....nothing to frighten anyone witless and some rather nice beginner/intermediate terrain. We stayed in Vars which is a nice small, very French sort of a place but most TO's go to Risoul. Only downside was the bus ride from the airport to resort...quite long....otherwise recommended from one person who hates heights to another....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy