Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time Skiing - Are these Pants any good - Jacket Update

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Skiing newbie and just bought these pants from TK Maxx. Wondering are there any good or should I return them and look for a different pair.

http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-mens-clothing/black-ripa-softshell-ski-trousers/invt/31081927

Just incase anyone here has used the brand before

From googling, I've found information saying

Waterproofing: 10000mm
Breathability: 5000 MVP
Welded seams

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 24-11-14 12:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
they are will be fine for a couple of seasons -- waterproof/windproof/elasticated waist (but don't expect high quality for 30 quid.....!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
they'll be fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, I know. As long as they're ok for the snow/falling a lot and won't give me a cold wet ass from the chairlift, they'll be fine.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They'll be fine. Make sure you have plenty of base/mid layers to stay warm if it's cold
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What mid layers are there for pants. I've got thermal pants already as the base layer (cheap Lidl ones)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You're unlikely to need more than a base for pants (mid layer on top). Sounds like you're sorted with the thermals too Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have never even needed a base layer with ski pants. So a thermal should be fine underneath, you could always double up if it is really cold. Try it with a base for the first day and if you overheat leave them off for the the second.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wear a base with my pants in January if it's really cold, nothing after Feb other than the ski pants; but I don't fall over as much as I did when I was a newbie and tend not to stand around much. When are you off @titan31?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm off December 8th for a week to Val d'Isere. It says it's softshell. Will that be enough? I sweat a lot anyway and am generally always warm (Ireland) so shouldn't need something highly insulated anyway.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Super. Pants will do the job. December doesn't get really cold. Have a great time Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you run warm you should be fine. I use a lot of effort skiing and on top usually have a thin base and a shell, until it gets down to -10C.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I sweat loads when I'm sitting down, never mine running. There'll be a giant trail of sweat coming off the mountain Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a pair of those exact same ones, more suited to spring skiing rather than winter and great on warmer days or for cold evening walks/après or even a winter hike here. A bit chilly up the mountain though if a really cold day even with a pair of thermals, but not bad other wise. I usually ski in them at Castleford as I find ski trousers too warm. Seem to be well made and no sign of problems. I would recommend them and will have another pair when these wear out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
titan31 wrote:
I sweat loads when I'm sitting down, never mine running. There'll be a giant trail of sweat coming off the mountain Very Happy
Lovely image. Smile

I have never been cold skiing and to get you started these sound OK. I started with £30 TKMAXX trespass and they were OK except when sitting on very wet ski lifts.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
I have never even needed a base layer with ski pants. So a thermal should be fine underneath, you could always double up if it is really cold. Try it with a base for the first day and if you overheat leave them off for the the second.

Yes, but I am sure I have seen you skiing just in pants, you might be the wrong person for this advice.
latest report
Laughing very good.
latest report
@blahblahblah, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
You need to get them in Yellow to be hardcore wink
snow conditions
Hi, me again, what are thoughts on this jacket?

http://www.dare2b.com/well-versed-jacket-black.html

I was looking at Helly Hansen stuff closer to €300 but not sure what the difference is for the price difference. Mainly this jacket - http://shop.hellyhansen.com/ie/item/accelerate-jacket-62319/?t_type=src&COLOR=689%20EVENING%20BLUE&t_type=cat

What would the Dare2b one be like for breathability. I'll have some Lidl thermals on underneath and maybe a Craghoppers or Oakley fleece I got in TKMaxx, which looked good.

Will it do the job or should I spend a bit more to get something better?
latest report
See this thread for a few good comments on jackets. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114281
snow report
Itll be fine, I think I tried it on myself @titan31. it's actually a bit pricey for a tkmaxx jacket but if you like it and it's comfy go for it. Honestly don't worry too much about the gear - I've been skiing 20+ years 2+ weeks a year - mostly in whatever gear I liked the colour of out of the the tkmaxx rails. From maybe 10 sets I've only got one jacket I don't like (too hot/sticky) and one pair of trousers I love but which really are too thin/cold and need two layers under. Gloves and helmet are worth some thought, the rest just try on and if it fits, and you like it you are good to go. aj xx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy