Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New/used boots advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son won a pair of skis on our last trip, about the right size for him I'm told, so we've had bindings fitted, adjustable to fit different boots in case his feet are still growing (he's 17). I need to get him some boots now and would appreciate any advice, good brands to try or avoid, what to look for in used boots etc. We ski only occasionally, but he's pretty good having only been twice, quite happy on red runs.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to a competent ski shop with a decent selection of brand and allow the shop to select a boot (brand) whose last or form is in conformation with your son's overall foot shape. This goes far beyond simple length and width, the latter being so v. important by the way. Not all brands fit the same as they all have variation in terms of last or form, as well variations in width. I trust the ski shop, upon careful inspection of your son's feet will select a model or two that is preferable for him, a model that will be a "best" pragmatic selection.

Do not go overboard as it were in terms of "high performance" models as one thing that has plagued boots for so long is too stiff a boot. Mfgrs. finally woke up over a decade ago on this and have finally toned down this stiffness overkill nonsense. It still exists but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. In order to be a better skier of the multitude of contributors as it were, one is that the boot must flex to a noticeable degree otherwise you wind up skiing like Frankenstein...................... Think biomechanics. And, of all equipment, it's not even a contest, boots are THE single most important piece of equipment, period. Accept the fact that your son is still growing and so whatever you decide upon might be for just one year. Such is life. Comfort is everything in a boot and your son needs to focus on that. I'm a big advocate of dedicated "ski socks", too. They DO influence the fit, comfort and performance and not just one pair either. If your son or yourselves ski multiple days a great "trick" at the end of the day is to asap open the boots back at the house, hotel, etc. and stuff with crumbled up balls of newspaper which does a terrific job of pulling water out of the liner. After about two hours pull the newspaper out and let air dry till the next a.m. So many skiers put their feet into soggy boots, a big no-no..................................
I'm a big advocate of proper clothing, starting with underwear, as well always wearing goggles - never sunglasses. No matter how great someone is at skiing, if they are cold on the slope due to not dressing properly they're no good, the day is shot............... Skis need to be tuned and maintained and waxing is crucial to better skiing which most skiers never do and if they do it is not often enough. I hope your son embraces skiing and in so doing takes an avid interest in learning how to maintain and maintains his equipment always.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy