Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glasgow Xscape and helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ansta1 wrote:

The helmet wouldn't help you if you happened to be looking up and a bit of ice landed in Your face.

Indeed.

The ceiling of a West End theatre collapsed onto the audience during a show last year. I was disgusted to hear, afterwards, that none of them were wearing helmets ... and that all the theatre offered were those coin-in-the-slot opera glasses. The only good thing about the night was that the show was so good it brought the house down.

We can all live in a state of paranoia about almost any threat to our existence, and legislate accordingly. Or allow insurers of snowdomes to enforce unpleasant restrictions on our freedoms. Alternatively, we can expect snowdomes etc. (as per ansta1 above) to ensure that icicles do not fall on skiers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In our capitalist society, it's up to the consumer to choose whether they agree with the product they are being offered. Surely there's an equal freedom of choice that should be extended to the company such that they can decide what happens in their own premises.

It's not uncommon for a building sites or industrial facilities to enforce hard-hat use on visitors, whether they are members of the public or professionals there in some indirect capacity. Why should this be any different?

If you're in their premises, you play by their rules.

If I come into your house, and you ask me to remove my shoes, I'll do so as it's your rules.. I'm not going to moan about freedom of choice.

That being said, remove your shoes in my house and you probably risk spearing your foot on some swarf that's been trailed in from the workshop Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
That's the point. A snowdome is a perfect environment to lay down the law on what's to be expected in terms of skier behaviour. Bloody learn to ski and control your planks [so we have a nice safe recreational skiing environment] or get out of here, and go down to Nando's for something that'll probably give you more pleasure.

How dare you suggest impinging on my fundamental freedom to ski like a dick with the non breeze flowing through my luscious locks. After all freedoms are what is important here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interestingly the SonwDome at Tamworth seem to have recently changed their helmet rules. If you're under 16 OR in lessons OR want to use any of the terrain features, you've got to have a lid on. I'm pretty sure they're new rules rather than enforcing the existing ones as they now have a large rack containing helmets of varying sizes to borrow. I don;t know how long this has been in place - I've not been since early September (but it wasn't the case then). Just thought I'd let people know so there are no nasty surprises.
Personally, it doesn't bother me. As someone else has said "their place, their rules".
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@feef, except for where religion is concerned. Any workers on our site with religious head dress are excluded from wearing hard hats. Now to make skiing a religion Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I always love the thread which becomes "My cahoonies are so big, I can't wear a helmet".

I think it's you that's talking cahoonies
Quote:

But why do you all keep posting on public forums? What do you hope to achieve?

I hope to keep the right to choose
Quote:

Your personal battle with a sweaty scalp/spacial awareness/danger awareness probably does not qualify you instruct the rest of the world. 90% of skiers who wear helmets don't share your problem.

What part of this thread is anyone saying to others "Don't wear a helmet"

Quote:

Its a free choice whether you wash your hands after you've been to the loo.

Just in case I'm following behind you, I'd rather you did.

Puzzled
Quote:

Its actually not about you, its about all those you will affect should get it wrong.

How could someone not wearing a helmet endanger others?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just playing devil's advocate here, I'd like to know what those arguing against helmet use think of enforced wearing of seatbelts or motorcycle helmets
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dsoutar, I don't think there's any point in talking about seatbelts or motorcycle helmets, or any other safety equipment in non-related activities.

It's a bit like asking ... would I, as a non-user of ski helmets, advocate the wearing of oven gloves when removing hot things from ovens. As a matter of fact ... I would.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it's quite simple, the chances of getting hit on the head in a snowdome is a lot higher than a mountain, on or off the slope, on the lifts, it makes no difference your level of ability if there's 100+ people in the same small area who might fall over in front of you, whack you on the head with their skis as you are putting boots on or just waiting in a queue, some also let go of the lift at the wrong time and send it flying
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Little Martin, Good point. Added to which, at my local dome anyway, you are sliding about on concrete thinly covered with a layer of ice. Much more dangerous that a thickly snow-covered mountain, in my view. I admit I have never worn a helmet in a snowdome, but I don't have any problem with it being obligatory. You are on private property. Their rules.

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perhaps they just ought to enforce the wearing of them everywhere and then maybe folks would stop worrying about it Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Megamum, and risk the wrath of every hairstylist?? Are you mad??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy