Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Time Skier - Buying Goggles, Which Lenses.. Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Thanks for reading.
I am heading to Pas de la Casa, Andorra, 8th Feb '15. I am gathering up some of my gear and I am totally confused as to what lenses I need. I understand that for sunny conditions, mirroed lenses are good or on dull, foggy days, pink/yellow lenses are suitable. As it will be my first ski trip I do not want to spend a lot of money - basically something below £40-50, or cheaper if I need to buy more than one pair.
Bascially - is there an all rounder colour of lens that will suit all conditions. Thanks for your help!
Lou
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@louloubelle, not really. If it's poor vis you want a lens that will pass more light and have a yellowish tint as that will improve contrast. On sunny days you need a darker tint.

So, I'd suggest a yellow/orange light tint and if it's sunny, weat sunglasses (and I presume you already have some?)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
while UANN is right, I have to say that most goggles come with a compromise lens which you can supplement with low light or bright sun options. In practice I generally cant be bothered to switch and end up using the compromise lens in most conditions. Occasionally it can be a bit too bright but it is manageable. Suggestion to use sunglasses in those conditions is fine although I wear a helmet and can't be doing with the helmet/sunglasses (socks/sandals) thing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also suggest you try the goggles on with your helmet to make sure they fit together well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@louloubelle, I was in a similar dilemma on buying new goggles... just couldn't be bothered with interchangeable lenses etc so got a pair of Alphina Turbo GT goggles(helmet compatible /orange tint) from Sports Pursuit in a flash sale recently for under 40 quid. Arrived yesterday and will do the job in 80% of conditions. They are S2 rated for sun but if it becomes too Sunny, ill just revert to the "sunnies".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd agree with Jedster. Unless you're buying multiple pairs which you won't be, a compromise lens works well in most conditions. Ask in the shop for an all rounder and they should be able to help you. I always intend to change my lenses for the conditions but never do. I sometimes carry a pair with an orange lens as a spare in my rucksack but not always. The advice about trying goggles with your helmet is also important. If you need any more advice about equipment just ask. There'll always be someone who'll help.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=113457

Hey. Got a couple of pairs that I could do cheap. The blues are in almost new condition and I could do the yellow lenses for fog and snow and either of the sunnier lenses.

I wanted to keep one pair but all combos are up for grabs.

J
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As its early doors just go for a pair with an orange/pink/persimmon lens. Its a good all rounder and you'll be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or go for a lens like the Bolle Modulator which is photochromic (I think that's the right word). Not the cheapest, they start about £40.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2607820&highlight=bolle#2607820

Quote:

A state-of-the-art, high contrast, light reactive lens that changes lens tint density with the changing light conditions. The more UV light exposed to the lens, the darker the lens will become. Available on: Fathom, Monarch, Nova, Nebula, Y6, X9
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lidl - you should be able to get a pair of each for under £20 (for the two)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Louloubelle..................

These days you can really get snookered $$$$ on goggles. Let's see if we can make things better. First, I applaud your concern for goggles as only goggles should be worn for skiing, never sunglasses. That said, you can dump a fortune on goggles and that's not necessary. Inasmuch as I hold to two preferred brands, one of which I have used for decades, there is NO best brand per se and brands vary in availability depending upon the market - nation. I am a big advocate of simple goggles, and one must remind themselves these days those which conform to helmet - take that into consideration. May I suggest with the time you have between now and February you give yourself time to hunt and peck for a "all around" model (hate to say it but shopping on-line might v. well be your hands down best bet in buying from an outlet a discounted - overstocked model and you can really save) that effectively does it all, both sunny and inclement weather. I also advocate more than one pair, at a minimum a back up replacement lens. Some v. good product IS out there. Just give yourself time to make a sound purchase.

Selecting a well established brand is important as opposed to some 'Johhny-come lately' brand. And try to select a model within a given brand whose frame has been within their line up for years and will continue therefore allowing readily available lens replacement when necessary.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DJL wrote:
Lidl - you should be able to get a pair of each for under £20 (for the two)

This £7.99. Very good quality for the money.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

as only goggles should be worn for skiing, never sunglasses

Utter nonsense, it's something that is entirely up to the user - I use both depending on conditions. Some days it is that warm and sunny I wouldn't want to sweat it out behind goggles!! NB. Though if you do change half way through the day and didn't go all over when you applied it firstly don't forget to apply sun cream to previously uncovered areas.

2 cheaper pairs might be the best bet, but even then you are bound to find conditions that change through the day - i.e. from the top of the run in the bluebird sunshine to the bottom of the run in the mist and flatter light. So unless you want to be constantly changing them a compromise is in order. I've seen several SH recommend photochromics (which as noted above will change their tint).

Personally I've tried all sorts (and I have a def. bug with flat light conditions). I have different lenses for different light conditions, but as often as not will wear the pair with the Scott amplifier lenses http://www.evo.com/scott-goggle-lens-color-tint-guide.aspx take a look at that chart it's their marketing hype - yes, but IME I have found that my Scott amplifiers cope with sunny and cloudy quite well and I wear them in bluebird sunshine and flat light to good effect. Mine are black amplifiers (which they don't do any more), but plenty on that chart tick the relevant dual use specs and I reckon they would do what they say on the basis of my own ones. I would certainly buy another amplifier lens again if I scratched my existing ones.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kind of what most of them said, except for the nonsense.

(a) Personally I started with just sunglasses because goggles were simply too expensive. You can get sunglasses for about £10 (never buy at the airport!) and they work all year, not just that one week. That worked fine for me.

(b) Then I got richer and discovered powder, for which goggles seemed to work well in deep snow. The "blower" gets up your nose with glasses and your face gets cold. There's no way that's relevant to your first week. I started with goggles for low light, switching to my sunglasses for very bright weather. That works. I don't/ won't carry two pairs of goggles, that's too much junk.

(c) Eventually someone gave me some goggles with two lenses, so for the last few seasons I've used those, which cover all the bases. They're naturally expensive to buy though. An alternative is photochromic goggles; I have some of those to try this season, maybe they'll work.

As far as buying goggles is concerned... unless you're rich, never pay full price, you can always get them for about half retail if you look around a bit. If it's your first trip I'd be tempted to try to get away with just sunglasses (which you may already have), or to buy some at the resort once you work out what you need. Stuff is generally expensive in the UK, and getting stuff you don't want or need is expensive however much it costs.

I've not seen the Lidl stuff, but that sounds like an excellent suggestion.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
for sunny days whatever you choose make sure it has 100% UV protection. You will only have one pair of eyes and sun is much stronger in the mountains. Also pay attention to the fit - goggles shouldn't be pinching your nose and if you plan to wear a helmet they should be compatible with it, and to the field of view - it has to be wide enough.
snow report
I am bound to add to this thread that it is worth keeping an eye on the buy and sell threads for goggles. They come up regularly and I have had some real bargains from other SH's in the goggle dept.
latest report
you sound like you get through an awful lot of goggles, Megamum. A pair usually lasts me for years, though I did lose my Bollé photochromic ones last year, somehow, and they were so good that I think I'll get some more. One pair, bought in a half price sale, lasted me about 10 years but eventually the foam rotted. They were rather scratched but they still worked OK.

I rarely ski without goggles, except on a very hot day, because I find that as soon as I pick up any speed in sun glasses the cold air makes my eyes stream and I can't see a thing.
ski holidays
Louloubelle,

I'm an optometrist and I have to say with Winter sports eyewear it's more about marketing and fashion than real benefits. There are some lenses which make a real difference but, generally, it's more about the emblem on the side and brand positioning. You definitely need sun protection but you don't have to spend a fortune if you don't want to.

I'd suggest that goggles with a contrast filter (your standard amber or orange tint) will help in poor lighting conditions and at other times you can get away with cheap sunspecs as long as they are marked UV400. Better still if they are polarising as that really helps see through haze and enhances contrast.

More expensive protection will certainly be better but it is diminishing returns as you have to spend a lot of money to get anything significantly better than the cheapies.

Wrap around sunspecs are ideal for a bright day or, alternatively, big lenses are good as long as light isn't creeping around the lenses.

Hope that helps.
snow report
I've just popped into this thread because I wanted to know if anyone had any views on the Oakley "Flight Deck" prizm goggles that have just appeared this year?
I want to sort out something for my Christmas list (Family members are asking me what I'd like for Christmas)

I was going to hint at another model but I've just seen the Flight decks and they look great .. but which colour to go for?

I also think its essential to have great sunglasses with you when you ski, as its important to look Kool (but not freezing)
when you bask in the sunshine drinking the espresso on a restaurant deck above 2000 metres.

You can't keep your helmet and goggles on while your posing! ... and that's what its all about after all.
snow conditions
@DrLawn, That does it - the next time it's a bluebird day and I am on the deck of a mountain bar I shall be thinking of you 'posing'! V. Def. you!!! wink

@pam w, Ooops, have I been caught with all the gear and no idea? Embarassed LOL

20+ years ago I managed with sunnies. When I tried again 10 years ago I had cheap Lidl ones. Then I wanted something better, but had no real budget and ended up with Birdz ones with mirrored lenses - they did me well - but I was a bit of fashion victim in them Embarassed.

Then I logged onto SH and everyone was on about Oakleys and hi yellow lenses for flat light - I then aspired to a set of those - still no budget so when I was looking round I stumbled on an end of line deal on my Scotts - great goggs and still my faves, however they weren't Oakleys were they? I'd owned them about 3 months and I saw a set of Oakleys offered on SH's with vermillion lenses at a really decent price - I couldn't say no so I got the Oakleys and then after much soul searching and buying a cheaper yellow lens and still swearing in flat light I sprung for the pricey hi yellow lens for them on the basis that folks on SH seemed to think it was the best thing for those conditions. Unfortunately they didn't work for me (and someone posted for me that there is a small percentage of the population that they won't work for). So now I tend to wear the Scotts with their black amplifier lens for most conditions and the Oakleys with their pink lens as a back-up pair if they get soaked and don't dry one night. I guess I could get a dark sunny day lens for the Oakleys, but I have just purchased my long discussed helmet with a visor to try, so I don't now know how redundant the goggles will be this season. What I might do is take the new helmet and the Scotts in case I don't get on with the visor. Interestingly the visored helmet does actually sport a goggle clip, so I think if the visor doesn't work with my spectacles I will still be able to use the helmet with the Scotts.

NB. I have also gone through countless goggles as the kids have grown up. Their Spy goggles from Spyderjon a few year's past have been excellent. They are now starting to outgrow them and I have two pairs of Oakleys (again at advantageous price through SH) for them to grow into.

So yes, reasonable experience with goggles despite lack of years in skiing 'properly' - about 6 now.
latest report
Thanks everyone for your comments, i will take all on board. I however am hiring ski, boots and helmet out there so when it comes to goggle compatibility i really wont know until i get there and hope the goggles and helmet are compatible...
snow report
On my first season I had Dragon DX's and found them a good solid goggle, didnt really fog up and lens didnt scratch easily

You can buy them with two lenses (bright and flat light) now for 55quid http://invertonline.co.uk/snowboard/snowboard-accessories-18/goggles/dragon-dx-powdersmoke-565.html
latest report
Started with some basic bolle (about £20 on fleabay) and they fit most helmets. Just purchased my 2nd pair by coincidence. See here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=108447
snow report
@Snow Monkey, Welcome to snowheads, and even more welcome to your sensible and informed views.

snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for the welcome Chris. Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy