Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St anton - what am I missing?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, I'm just looking to fill the void until the trip, which is still 3 months away Sad. Got a guide thanks to the folks here, hotel booked, working on transfers from munich, know about the white ring, kinda understand how to get from st anton side to lech side, kinda (will the bus really suck?). What am I missing? Mountain hut reservations for lunch? Other distractions?

We are just 2 adults and an 11 year old. Reds should not be a problem even for the mrs. Any recommendations on and off mountain, dinner, lunch, non skiing sports (dog sledding?, swimming?, snow sledding?), music, essentially anything that we (really i, as I'm so darn excited I'll do all the planning) should think about.

Unfortunately, we are there for half term (we call it school vacation week here), arrive on Friday, so maybe a day (Saturday) with the piste not completely mad and crowded. Should that be when we go to lech as the bus will be less busy? Then make our way to st Christophe Steuben when the crowds arrive? Off piste with guide on mon and wed, and we are staying on Nasserein side of town.

Thanks for any suggestions. Seems crazy to even consider things this early, but the guide was almost fully committed, so glad I coulndt contain my excitement.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Redwine, Obviously you've got your 11 year old with you but that shouldn't spoil the fun if your up for some decent food. My favourite was always the Hazienda on the Main Street, so about 15 min walk from Nasserein. The wild boar with parpadelle always delicious. You need to book, I often did it in advance over the web or by email. I think the menu is on the web as well. It's smart and busy without being overly posh or expensive. The Ski Museum resto is also good though a bit more formal. There is free tour of their museum with interesting history of the Arlberg area. Location is little beyond the big main gondola lift.

Nearer you, in Nasserein, is the Pizzeria San Antonio, which was always very reliable for good well priced pizzas. Ther used to be a little bowling/skittle alley nearby. Looks like there is now a modern 10 pin bowling facility near the train station.

On the skiing front, there's just one run into St Cristoph as I recall so that won't keep you long. From the top of the Shcindlergraht chair, it's a steepish start to what is then a glorious blue of about 10km that takes to Rauz (bus to Zurs or Lech) or onto Stuben. Try it in one go and see if your legs are up to it.

Stuben always used to be a joy for its largely North facing quiet runs. Haven't been since they put a new lift in, so it may now get a bit busier. On the old lift you had the option of covering yourself with a blanket to fend off the cold!! The red runs going back to Stuben have sharp hairpins, and are great fun to ski at speed, just make sure you stay on the piste!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've only been to St A once, so I am sure others will chip in with their pennies worth.
Bus to Lech is easy.
Lunch wise, I think people speak very highly of the Hospiz Alm in St Christophe. Certainly we stumbled into it in a blizzard and were charmed by the atmosphere, the unusual method for the delivery of our Gluhweins, and the slide down to the basement loos. (Yes, really!)
Don't miss the après. The Mooserwirt is infamous and a real hoot, but we tended to end up at the Underground, presided over by the infamous and really quite scary Joan. Live music in a cosy atmosphere, relaxed rather than rowdy- it would certainly be entirely suitable for an 11 year old. It and the Mooserwirt are at the other end of town from Nasserein, but buses will get you back to your base.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The bus to Lech/Zurs and back will really 'suck'. Be prepared to fight your way onto it or you will be left standing. They aren't very frequent either. It's my one and only beef about the area. Other than that you will have a fab time.

Ooh, just thought if another one, the blue back into St Anton, can't remember what it's called. It's that or a black down. It can be a bit of a nightmare at the end of the day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy1234 wrote:
@Redwine, Obviously you've got your 11 year old with you but that shouldn't spoil the fun if your up for some decent food. My favourite was always the Hazienda on the Main Street !

+1000, Hazienda is one of the best places in the town
and also try restaurant in Hotel Waldhof
http://www.waldhof-stanton.com/en/culinary-delights/
Regarding the lunch,
try the terrace in hotel Mondschein or hotel Alberg (both in Stuben)
http://mondschein.com/en/the-hotel/restaurant/
http://www.arlberg-stuben.at/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All of these ideas are spectacular, thank you. I suppose I need to wait a little before making a restaurant reservation, until at least December I guess.

The hospital alm in st Christophe seems nice for dinner, especially the wine list. But is it a bother to be going all the way there for dinner from st anton? Maybe better for lunch, and stay near where we are staying for dinner?

Again thank for all current ant future suggestions.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NE1 wrote:

Ooh, just thought if another one, the blue back into St Anton, can't remember what it's called. It's that or a black down. It can be a bit of a nightmare at the end of the day.

The (not very) Happy Valley. Blue 4 into Blue 1. Now a lot narrower than it used to be, and really the one main negative (for me) about St Anton. Crowded, very chopped up and has some steep-ish and icy sections - but it's the main home run and the way most people get to the Mooserwirt/Krazy Kangaruh. Try and avoid it after 3pm. Even if you take Black 2, it still leads into the bottom section.

I do love St Anton though, you'll have a ball.

If you like a bit of non-rowdy live music, you could go and see Gunnar in the Kandahar Bar in the main town - assuming he's still there. We loved the Piccadilly as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @Redwine,

@Perty has chipped in with the most must do thing on the circuit and that is go to the toilets at the Hosptitz in St Christoph.
The slide is a hoot .. there used to be a glass fronted barn at the top of the slide with goats and sheep, but I think thats gone.

In Zurs at about 47.161994, 10.141162
there is a great echo point.

I always shout ..... "See you next year!"

"See you next year"
"See you next ye"
"See you next !"
"See you next"
"See you!"
"See you"
Comes back,

Your 11 year old will love it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The (not very) Happy Valley. Blue 4 into Blue 1. Now a lot narrower than it used to be, and really the one main negative (for me) about St Anton. Crowded, very chopped up and has some steep-ish and icy sections - but it's the main home run

@HoneyBunny, is there an alternative to take a lift down? My niece and family are going to St Anton at Christmas and I know she is going to hate that run!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Redwine,
Yes the Hospice at St Christoph is a lunch stop, don't bother driving there.

Its an easy run down from the top of the lifts above St Anton, its also an easy option for those who had have enough of this ski nonsense to take the bus home if they whimp out, or just want to meet for lunch.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The (not very) Happy Valley. Blue 4 into Blue 1. Now a lot narrower than it used to be, and really the one main negative (for me) about St Anton. Crowded, very chopped up and has some steep-ish and icy sections - but it's the main home run

@HoneyBunny, is there an alternative to take a lift down? My niece and family are going to St Anton at Christmas and I know she is going to hate that run!

Yes, they can take the piste along to the Tanzboden chair and then ski round to the Galzigbahn and down that way. If they want to do Happy Valley but avoid the Mooserwirt section, then take either Zammermoos up to Galzig, or the Mattun chair to the top of Gampen where they can either gondola down to Nasserein, chair to the bottom at the Galzig end or ski down Blue 23/24 to Nasserein or the Galzig end (quieter than Blue 1).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having spent 2 seasons in St Anton, on top of the usual recommendations of Hospitz lunch (and dinner if you're feeling £100/a head flush), Hazienda, white ring, lech/zurs (for quiter/wider pistes).
If I had a week: On a Tuesday or Thursday night go rodel-ling! (Espec for the 11yr old). This is a 4km long old school sled toboggan style run, where you stop halfway down at an awesome restaurant for massive portions of traditional Austrian grub (try the pork knuckle or tiroler-grostl) both great.
If you get bored of the crowds ski over to Stuben and catch the bus to Sonnenkopf (think it's something like hourly at 4 past the hour, return no later than 3pm bus) for a different experience, normally really quiet with the snow lasting longer. Bit of a pain getting over there but worth it.
The champagne ice bar in oberlech is a good stop off point on the white ring before/after lunch!

Apres wise sure go to Moozerwirt to party Euro style packed with the deutsch and Austrians, or head over to the crazy kangaruh for a better party and a slightly younger rowdier seasonnaire/punter mix Laughing
The Underground jus worth a visit for post-skiing nibbles/guiness and chilled live music/apres. Or also at the bottom is base camp (slightly pricey compared to some other bars) for a lively apres feel whilst being in town.

If 11yr old wants a pizza then pomodoros on the high street isn't too bad for food, but Floriani's is better (a 5min walk up the hill towards the museum). Although I think they're having an ownership rehaul this season and tend to turn over chefs season-season.

Notable visits; the museum is good for food, just off the piste by the bottom of run 1 (near the Galzigbahn)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w - @Sitter has answered your question. There are other routes, don't worry!

If you go to the Mooserwirt - and you really must, at least once - try to get there in time for 3.30 when the apres party kicks off. It rapidly fills up after then. Best spot IMO is upstairs standing near the balcony so you can see everything going on. "The Final Countdown" will remind you of the place forever, and it's amazing to see the place turn from a sedate, cosy lunch stop to a rocking party. In fact, if you eat there prepare to be impressed by the giant portion sizes!

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sitter, thanks, I shall pass that on. Blush
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the skills of the Mooserwirt waiters are amazing, tray full of booze and rarely anything dropped.

Happy Valley is fine, all you need to do is traverse up the valley side a bit, a few ft off piste.
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
@pam w - @Sitter has answered your question. There are other routes, don't worry!

If you go to the Mooserwirt - and you really must, at least once - try to get there in time for 3.30 when the apres party kicks off. It rapidly fills up after then. Best spot IMO is upstairs standing near the balcony so you can see everything going on. "The Final Countdown" will remind you of the place forever, and it's amazing to see the place turn from a sedate, cosy lunch stop to a rocking party. In fact, if you eat there prepare to be impressed by the giant portion sizes!

It really is what Dante had in mind for the 7th layer of Hell Laughing Definitely one to experience at least once.
latest report
So get to moose at 3 order a few beers and snacks, watch the madness and bail out with the little one at 4 before the madness explodes? This trip is looking legendary. Just need the snow gods to cooperate. I have had only mixed luck with powder in the alps Sad.

Anyone heli or cat ski in the area? Or is there so much lift accessible off piste that's overkill?
snow report
@Redwine, heliskiing is available, though I think you often organise guide and heli separately... I know Torben does it sometimes, so ask here for more info: http://www.skiadventure.eu

There is plenty of lift and skin access offpiste available - you certainly won't run out!!
ski holidays
Personally prefer Taps to either MW or KK, similar vibe but minus the rush-hour-tube crush. Last time I was in MW it took 30 minutes to go for a slash, unbearable.
snow report
@Redwine, oooh give it a bit longer than that, maybe 4.30-ish. It's not rowdy, just good fun. Apres party goes on til 8, so it's not too drunken for the first hour. Don't go on a Friday though, it's so busy you cannot move in there (last night before transfer day).

Do try Taps and the Krazy Kangaruh too. I preferred the Moose to the KK.
snow report
wellness
snow report
@8611, wellness?

Can someone explain the busses to lech from st anton? There is a free bus, and a pay bus (post bus)? If so, is the pay bus worth the extra cost from a convenience perspective?

Also, 1/2 term week, is usually sat to sat, correct? So families usually arrive sat, and start skiing Sunday? I get to resort Friday, so maybe on Saturday go to lech as the busses will not be as insane?

@mbydmt, rodeling? Is that night tobagganing and then dinner at rodel alms? Sounds spectacular. I presume a reservation is needed at the restaurant.

This is quite an impressive list of suggestions, thank you everyone.
ski holidays
Redwine wrote:
@8611, wellness?

Can someone explain the busses to lech from st anton? There is a free bus, and a pay bus (post bus)? If so, is the pay bus worth the extra cost from a convenience perspective?

There is no free bus to Lech directly from St.Anton village. Only post-bus. The first, at 8.35 is usually less crowded.
However, you can find the free bus from the Alp Raus point. It is in the end of piste N17.
Practically, I used first bus from St.Anton and then the free bus around 15.30 (not later) from Zurs back to Alp Raus and then skiing to St.Anton.
+1, for night tobogganing.
wellness
http://www.arlberg-well.com/en/#
ski holidays
Ah yes I forgot to mention the MOOSERWIRT
I prefer it at lunchtime ... nice ribs
But it gets very messy at 5pm when the slightly sloshed try to find the skis they came in on.
ski holidays
@Redwine, the busses aren't that bad. A bit of a crush for 20 secs when one arrives, but it's not that big a deal. Just queue like a Euro rather than a Brit wink
ski holidays
I am not sure if they still do it but we took a sleigh ride out to a restaurant (Verwall Inn) I believe, it was a pretty special evening. Make sure you book a taxi back for after the meal as it would be a long cold walk.
ski holidays
couple of things worth considering
1 - the toboggan run from Oberlech to Lech is great fun - you will all love. Open till 10 at night and best fun in the dark but staying in St Anton could be a bit of an expensive journey back if buses are off
2. The Griabli opposite the Mooserwirt has best lager in the area by far and some excellent après if the Snowtones are playing (although I think they might not be playing there this year Sad )
ski holidays
Some great advice on this thread for the best area to ski in Austria, in my experience. Has anyone out there mentioned:
- Rendl mountain...the smaller one, good for a first day warm up (or half a day) I think and a decent red run down to base lift if snow good. Usually quieter than main link runs on the other mountains.
- the swimming pool / leisure centre in the main town...featuring lovely warm water and a heated swim outside option, for when the weather is horrible or muscles need relaxing
- the gulaschsuppe followed by a germknodel in a mountain restaurant definitely worth a try! Don't swim for at least 3 hours after a germknodel though.

Happy Valley isn't all that scary except maybe for beginners, nervous intermediates or everyone if icy and mogulled. Never had a problem with bus journey to/from Lech and Zurs. Always caught early post bus and finished at Zurs earlier than usual for free return bus to Alp Raus. A little walk to see Lech village makes a nice midday leg stretch and rest, just don't expect bargain lunches. I believe it was Princess Diana's favourite resort. Our 9 year old, last time we went, loved St Anton, except for the rather strict ski instructor. We find Austrian instructors take things rather seriously, compared with our experiences in USA, for example...but cannot criticise their professionalism and improvement in technique that resulted.
One other observation. We always found snow grooming less comprehensive in St Anton that most places we've been. Consequently an easy blue run in smooth conditions can be a chopped-up carnage alley late in the day, with fallen skiers/boarders to avoid.

Saturday usually main changeover day. So often good day to ski the busier runs around St Anton I would think. Personally I'd save Lech/Zurs for later in the week and wouldn't worry about the bus trip, as long as you can get there early. Do they still have road blockage problems on that Lech road after a big dump of snow? I always used to avoid that trip if big fresh snow around or forecast for that day. There have been tales of St Anton customers stranded in Lech for a couple of nights at some expense.
Off piste with a guide should be awesome! If you're feeling adventurous, maybe they'll take you on the challenging route from the summit of the Valluga, down the north face to Zurs, avoiding that bus journey...see...
http://www.ultimate-ski.com/ski-resorts/austria/tirol/st-anton/off-piste.aspx
One of the most famous routes in the world.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The rodelalm <spell> restaurant above Nasserein is a good long lunch stop. Situated under the Nasserienbahn on the right hand side. Is a favourite stop for us for a late lunch/ early dinner when you have been battling the weather all day! Our boys also like the evening ride up in a snow plough, dinner, sledge back down.
ski holidays
@EVERYONE. Thank you so much for all this invaluable information. This should become a St. Anton sticky. No way anyone can come up with all this info by looking at tourist sites. Now all we need is the snow to begin and not stop for a while.

@redeye, is the plough ride something that the restaurant provides? Possibly only on the nights that the course is lighted?

Has anyone ever gone down to Innisbrook for dinner after a day of skiing? Or is that just too much/too aggressive/not worth it given all the things to do in the arlberg? We would be tied to the train, as while the Euro is cheaper, its still a bloody (trying to fit in her!) expensive vacation.
latest report
Redwine wrote:

Has anyone ever gone down to Innisbrook for dinner after a day of skiing? Or is that just too much/too aggressive/not worth it given all the things to do in the arlberg? We would be tied to the train, as while the Euro is cheaper, its still a bloody (trying to fit in her!) expensive vacation.

Not really worth it, at least on a week's holiday. The train is an hour each way. You could maybe justify it for the Christmas markets, but personally I still wouldn't bother if you're only there for one week.
ski holidays
@Redwine, St Anton is an awesome place, I cant stop laughing from the minute I drive up the road (or get off the train), to the moment I leave. The skiing, locals, powder, lift served freeride, apres, food, gemutlichkeit............we go 4-5 weeks a season, 3 in winter, 2 in summer (walking and mountainbiking), the place is brilliant. Toofy Grin
latest report
Had great meal in the Restaurant Maximilian, possibly need to book though to be safe.

Fantastic place, great runs, great bars, great atmosphere.
snow report
Redwine wrote:
@8611, wellness?

Sorry, was on phone, very nice public wellness in the town, outdoor pool with wave machine which kids will enjoy, indoor pool with nice flashy metal finish, upstairs has some proper saunas and steam rooms

there is nothing like wellness on a ski trip!
ski holidays
Should qualify that by saying wave machine might be a bit optimistic, more a current pool which when on will push you around the Pool in circles. Great fun all the same.
snow conditions
enjoy
ski holidays
Andy1234 Stuben always used to be a joy for its largely North facing quiet runs. Haven't been since they put a new lift in, so it may now get a bit busier. On the old lift you had the option of covering yourself with a blanket to fend off the cold!! The red runs going back to Stuben have sharp hairpins, and are great fun to ski at speed, just make sure you stay on the piste![/quote]
Quote:

What new lift? There used to be a single chair with swing arms many many years ago but that was replaced by a double chair only some many years ago!! It was still running last winter. However, there are plans for a new lift system at Stuben that will link eventually with Zurs Very Happy
The first phase, replacing the "new lift" Puzzled on Albona is, apparently, due to be place 2015/16. Anybody got further info on that?
snow report
The new Albonasattelbahn appears to be slotted in for construction in 2016 - see http://www.lift-world.info/en/lifts/projects/page1.htm. The plans I saw had it running from Rauz to somewhere near the top of the existing Albona II lift.

I would take the 2016 date with a grain of salt. The connection from Rendl to Kappl is also slotted for the same year. Two issues: firstly, those dates have been slipping for a number of years now, so there is some history. Secondly, that is a big load, financially and also from a management capacity standpoint, to handle in one year.
ski holidays
@davidthornton, sorry i thought the Albona 1 two seat chairlift had already been replaced. If not - yaaaay! I love that lift, such a peaceful ride.
While thinking about Stuben, you used to be able to get a nice lunch on the terrace at the Hotel Post. One of their local dishes was Stuben sausage with fresh horseradish, if you weren't careful the horseradish would nearly take your head off!!! Sadly I don't think they have it on the menu any more. The Kaiserschmarren (pancake with plums) was pretty good too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy