Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve. Opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I am toying with the idea of going to Megeve in the coming season but the only week that would be possible would be late March into April. I have looked into the various threads on here and digested as much information as I can from other internet sources so I am aware that the village is low, that the slopes are lowish and that it is chic and expensive etc. What I am seeking from the collected wisdom on here is whether it is really too late in the season to have a realistic chance of good skiing allowing for the fact that we can't tell what the season will bring in terms of snow. In an average year would it be 50/50 or "consider somewhere else"? All opinions welcomed and taken on board. Thanks.[/i]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure on probabilities, but if the snow is poor, Les Contamines is nearby, higher and more snowsure, and easily reachable if you had a car. I think it's on the same lift pass too.

I would have thought it would probably be skiable (on-piste), but ice/slush and some closed runs would be quite likely. But it could all be brilliant or almost all closed depending on, as you say, what the season brings. Late March would be a better bet than mid-April though - I think Megeve's season finishes on 19th April next year?

If it was me, I'd probably ask myself whether you'll get a chance in the following few years to visit earlier in the season. If so, perhaps go somewhere higher and visit another year. If not, might be worth the risk!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
denfinella, thank you. Problem is that we are tied up with school holidays for a few years yet and I don't fancy going here at half term if it coincides with French holidays! Another problem is that I've taken a fancy to visiting the place but obviously not if there is little or no sliding to be had.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kennethm, I've been twice, both times in early season. Whilst there are some very posh places about, I didn't have any difficultly finding reasonably-priced restaurants either or or off-slope. It's a very pretty village. The lift pass is pretty good value compared to other French resorts.

Do you have to book your accommodation now? There's a huge surplus of accommodation in France at that time of year, so you'd be able to find somewhere to stay wherever you wanted to go nearer the time, when the snow conditions become clearer. You could still book your flight to Geneva/channel crossing now. I appreciate that is a lot more risky if you are looking to go with a British TO with inclusive childcare.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kennethm, We have not yet skied in the area for the same reason. I like to book ski holidays a year in advance! We've visited Megeve/St Gervais/Les Contamines in summer and the ski area looks beautiful from what we could tell.

If you don't have particular accommodation in Megeve in mind, I would recommend looking at Hotel Monte Bianco in Saint Gervais. We've stayed there twice in summer and it is good value as they have an all inclusive option (you can make a picnic lunch to take with you). If the snow was bad you would be able to drive from there to Les Contamines in 10-15 minutes. The only drawback of the hotel for skiing is that it is a bit of a walk from the lift but I think I've read there are ski lockers near the gondola.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gamsbock, thanks. Yes, could do as you suggest but I suspect my life would not be worth living if I leave the accommodation question hanging! Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like Megeve for skiing. It's a lot of fun.

Cheap eats are there, but not abundant. I've also gotten reasonable accommodations, even during school holidays.

I however, I have passed through to the dark side, Italy. Skiing is just as fun, more mountain eateries, and I love paying 2 euro for a cappuccino that I pay 5 eur for in Megeve.

just sayin'.

but it is lovely and charming and fun to ski. I've probably booked upward of 30 ski days there, so I know the area well. That time of year, just don't book Jalliet area, too much sun, and will be slushy that time of year with the best of conditions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HeidiAmsterdam, Thanks. Fun is what I like to do. Took up skiing too late in life for "challenges". Also have an 11 year old who shows no sign of progressing beyond straightlineing it and snowplough. This may have to be one of those places I add to my wish list and go when the planets align.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More cheap accommodation:

http://www.saintgervais.com/en/tourisme/accomodation-eating-out/accomodations.html
http://www.domancy.fr/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis and snowymum. Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Do you have to book your accommodation now? There's a huge surplus of accommodation in France at that time of year, so you'd be able to find somewhere to stay wherever you wanted to go nearer the time, when the snow conditions become clearer. You could still book your flight to Geneva/channel crossing now.

have to agree with that, @kennethm. I have done little skiing in Megeve but my apartment is in the next door Espace Diamant and I drive through Megeve a great deal. At the end of the season you could well find the village and surroundings green, and the top isn't very high. Having said that, our area isn't either, and 9 years out of 10 the end of March and early April is fine, albeit classic spring skiing.

What sort of accommodation are you looking for? sky's the limit in Megeve but it's not all expensive. Just don't encourage any "shoppers" in the family - in Megeve there are rarely prices in the window and if you have to ask, you can't afford it. wink St Gervais is a nice town too. Les Contamines has the best skiing in the area, late season, but there's nothing much in the rather strung out village itself. You could drive there if you have a car - it's not lift-linked.

In all cases you are likely to have to up and download in a gondola (as opposed to ski in/out) but if that doesn't bother you, no problem. as mentioned above, avoid the north side of the road - loses its snow quite a bit earlier because of the sun.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, Haven't got round to investigating what is available regarding accommodation. I am still trying to decide whether to risk Megeve or go down the "higher" route. We tend to go for half-board as it is not regarded as a holiday if we have to lick the plates as we do at home.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We tend to go for half-board as it is not regarded as a holiday if we have to lick the plates as we do at home.

Megeve is bristling with good places to eat, not all of them costing a fortune. If I were going to spend a week there I wouldn't want to be committed to eating in the same place every evening.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, That can get annoying with two children whose idea of cuisine is a cheese and tomato pizza. I've lost count of the times we have gone somewhere slightly upmarket and we may as well have set fire to the money. I'm with you on this one but it concentrates their mind if they have to choose from a few courses.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kennethm, ah yes, I see the problem.
ski holidays
@kennethm, My advice would be to hang fire, see what is about and book a bit later... There will be loads of accommodation left for Easter, IMO...

If, however, you're dead set on Evasion Mont Blanc, namely Megeve, I would maybe go with the advice given above, and consider St Gervais... Smack bang in the middle of Megeve and Les Contamines...

As has been said previously, Les Contamines is where everyone heads to when the show is poor... and it's a lovely village... But I am biased wink
snow report
@kennethm, My advice would be to hang fire, see what is about and book a bit later... There will be loads of accommodation left for Easter, IMO...

If, however, you're dead set on Evasion Mont Blanc, namely Megeve, I would maybe go with the advice given above, and consider St Gervais... Smack bang in the middle of Megeve and Les Contamines...

As has been said previously, Les Contamines is where everyone heads to when the show is poor... and it's a lovely village... But I am biased wink
snow conditions
The only year it's been a problem in the last 5 (the ones I've been living there) was the year it was a generally crap season in lots of places (10/11). South facing lower slopes are of course going to be in the worst condition in a standard spring and therefor the Jaillet slopes are always the most vulnerable, but the bubble that takes you up to Combloux/La Giettaz part of the sector will also take you back down again if the Jaillet home run slope isn't skiable. There's a lot of variety in the other sectors of the Evasion Mont Blanc domain, and Cote 2000 generally holds up very well for example. I'm sure there will be accommodation if you book later, but you're only talking the w/c 28th of March - it's not a late Easter.
snow conditions
@AlpineAddict, I'm going to have to do a bit more investigating into the area. I will admit to having zeroed in on Megeve. @miranda, When you say "the only year it's been a problem" did that mean no skiing or iffy conditions? Many thanks to you both for your advice.
ski holidays
Megeve is a beautiful place, good restuarants, a traditional town and good skiing. It can be expensive but not as expensive as say Val d'Isere, Courchavel or Zermatt. It is low and whilst this can be great in Feb...tree skiing and even on good days skiing into town...in April it will be spring snow, so you will have to go higher or away from Megeve itself. Personally, I would try elsewhere for better snow conditions.
snow conditions
@kennethm, could you have use of a car if based in Megeve and would your party willing to drivev to/from better snow if needed? If not then a pre booked package there into early April is risky in my view. If nerves can hold a late booking has advantages of knowing the snow conditions, a rough idea of the weather forecast and often good savings. I would only pre book for late season for a high, snow sure resort. I love Megeve and with use of a car would be there like a shot.
latest report
@Goliard, welcome to Snowheads snowHead Where are you based?
snow report
We are based in the middle of 3 ski areas - La Clusaz, Espace Diamant and Megeve. Goliard is right - April generally means spring snow. If you want to avoid any risk at all, book somewhere like Val Thorens. But we get repeat guests at our chalet from that time of year (28th March - 12th April) so it obviously can't be that bad round our way.

I don't know any chalet providers in Megeve itself personally (otherwise would be happy to pass the info on). Simon Butler Skiing has a few very satisfied customers who post on here, and we've had former customers of SBS stay with us so they are obviously happy with the area, so maybe you could try contacting SBS and talking to them.
latest report
Quote:

did that mean no skiing or iffy conditions?

Could be both. A few seasons ago the conditions were so bad that a lot of ski areas closed a week or more early. But as @miranda said, those conditions were very widespread that year - nearly all of Chamonix, for example, closed very early too. But of course, conditions were pretty iffy before they made that decision and snow was poor even in the higher areas which were still open! I have spent every Easter since 2003 in the Espace Diamant and that was the only year the resorts closed early. Praz sur Arly is the same altitude as Megeve and right next door. It will be closing on 6 April along with the other lower areas of the Espace Diamant along the Arly Valley. Some years I've skied in Praz sur Arly on the last day of the season, with super snow and deserted pistes. Other years I've not bothered going down there after about mid March because there is much better snow elsewhere.

If you are very keen to have snow to ski down to resort level and in the village itself in early April Megeve is risky though, of course, you could be lucky. If snow permits the whole domaine will be open till 12 April and the higher part till 19th. Many resorts will have later closing dates, and these are a reasonable indication of likely snow conditions. But I've driven up the valley to Val Thorens in March through green slopes with the occasional ribbon of nasty brown slush up as high as Les Menuires.

If your OH is pushing you to book early, make sure she understands the risks.
snow report
Hello pam w, we are based near Menthon St Bernard on the North side of Lake Annecy. So great in the summer with the Lake and close to lots of skiing. Very Happy
latest report
@Goliard, I love Menthon St B - my favourite stop on the way to or from Geneva airport from my place in Les Saisies.
snow conditions
@pam w, thanks...we love it here. We feel so lucky to be able to live and work here as we can get to so many ski areas so quickly. We have snow on Les Dents du Lanfon, Montmin and on Semnoz on the far side of The Lake. So fingers crossed for early openings!
latest report
@pam w, thanks...we love it here. We feel so lucky to be able to live and work here as we can get to so many ski areas so quickly. We have snow on Les Dents du Lanfon, Montmin and on Semnoz on the far side of The Lake. So fingers crossed for early openings!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you to everyone for taking the bother to post and your invaluable advice. I will take it all on board and make some kind of decision soon. I must admit my inclination is to bottle it and go higher. But maybe not..... P.S. If this sounds like me trying to put an end to this thread, I'm not. I'm still interested.
latest report
@kennethm,

I've skied quite a lot in St Gervais / Megeve / Les Contamines in recent years for a variety of reasons.
I wouldn't go to Megeve at that time of year. You are likely to have snow but it will be very slushy on a large part of the ski area with the bottom of some runs likely to be bare / closed.
In that area, I'd suggest basing yourself in Les Contamines (higher and faces more Northerly) - we were there for the last week of their season last year, the skiing was still very good and Megeve was pretty green and had already been closed for more than a week.
Otherwise I'd go for one of the higher resorts - TV, EK, Alpe D'huez, La PLagne. etc
I quite like Megeve but worth knowing that everything on the St Gervais side is cheaper (hotels, mountain restaurants, etc)

Cheers,

J
ski holidays
Yes, Les Contamines is a very good late season bet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy