Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carte Neige for a newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good afternoon, am a new snowhead member and have had my many questions answered by reading other peoples posts and responses. I cannot seem to find an answer to the following (although I may have not been looking in the right place)....I wonder if some kind soul / souls would offer their infinite wisdom.

My daughter is lucky enough to be working the season in the Three Valleys. She has worked hard and save quite a bit for the extra curriculum activities but has left the carte neige side of things till she gets out there !!

Call me old fashioned but its the type of thing that gets overlooked until needed at which case i get a call to say can i have your credit card !

So, have attempted to circum navigate the carte neige website but not being a fluent french speaker it has left me with a few questions...

!. Does the Carte Neige cover you for the whole of France or is it specific to the area you are skiing in?
2. The association that you choose... was under the impression that this had no bearing on the insurance just that it paid a certain supplement to that club. Is that correct?
3. At the end of the application there is a section that asks you to certify (by ticking the box) that literally translates to "I certify to be in possession of a medical certificate attesting to the absence of indication against skiing [1] and I am committed to (the) do so within fifteen days the service life of the Federal FFS , 50 rue des Marquisats , BP 2451 , 74011 Annecy cedex"

Does this mean she will need a medical certificate from her Dr before she travels which has to be either sent to Carte Neige or shown to the relevant authorities? Obviously wouldnt want to find that this was somehow invalidated due to me not understanding the small print (bad enough in english)
4. If she does leave it until she arrives in the resort, will she need any certification at the time of purchasing the Carte Neige?

and Lastly if ordering online, how long does it generally take to arrive back in the UK - she leaves in early Dec.

Thanks for your time
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bowbells, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead You might find the information here useful...http://www.natives.co.uk/holiday/the-lowdown-on-carte-neige-insurance/3994

If your daughter has good winter sports insurance she might not need the "belt and braces" of Carte Neige. She might be covered by her employers for some things - but probably not skiing on her afternoon off.

Sympathies - not easy to navigate your way through this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bowbells, hi, in order to the best of my knowledge and experience :
1/ All of France and all neighbouring countries
2/ Yes
3/ No she won't
4/ No and completely pointless ordering it online. They issue it on the spot in resort, usually in the tourist office. If she says she's a seasonnaire she should also get a discount of I think 5%. Can't remember the exact criteria but I know in Lt they never question it wink

Hope she has a great season!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, thank you both for taking the time to reply. I think will be best to let her purchase it at the Tourist Office.

She does have very good insurance supplied by her employers but cant go too wrong having a carte neige for the whole season at 50 odd euros ... even just for peace of mind for the folks back home!

Sure she will have a great time but leaves behind one very green eyed monster...... was due to do the same 30 years ago but shattered my knee cap the weekend before I was due to leave..... then in the next year rresponsibilities kicked in ....... still youre never too old !!

Thanks again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bowbells,

It is not sold in all tourist offices or ski schools...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

It is not sold in all tourist offices or ski schools...

indeed, but they should know where you can buy one. In my case I have to go to the local "Club des Sports" which is open for quite restricted hours. Will your daughter's employer insurance cover her for skiing in her free time?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

they should know where you can buy one

Not if you ask the Les Houches ESF or Ski Club they don't.

Back in my day (1989!!) we had quite comprehensive specific seasonal workers insurance which covered freetime skiing as well as "professional" responsibilities. I'd be surprised if said employer didn't insure their staff properly. Mind you, I am often surprised.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, her employers insurance covers her completely for the whole season, irrespective of freetime or work based, including off piste.....Am sure Carte Neige must be purchasable (if thats a real word) in resort as 3 valleys is a huge employer of seasonnaires..... am sure les francais would not miss that opportunity !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
@bowbells, hi, in order to the best of my knowledge and experience :
3/ No she won't

Hmmm it does state quite clearly that you need to send a medical certificate within 15 days, how many people actually do this I don't know?
I'm a coward and probably would do it to avoid risk of non payment in the event of a claim, however it does considerably add to the cost/complication of taking it out.

Has anyone recently needed to be taken off the mountain with carte neige and been asked (or not asked) about a medical certificate?
I've a feeling that clause wasn't always there for carte neige or maybe I'd just never read it properly.

My guess would be this is primarily aimed at race clubs where competitors are tempted to get back to skiing before medical advice but I'm not sure id bet my house on it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats probably my biggest concern that something is invalidated due to non production of the medical certificate which they clearly ask for...... Not quite sure how to confirm this one way or the other.... I will call the Tourist Office in Courchevel to ask but still going to be one persons word for it.

Logistically I cannot imagine that all the seasonnaires in France purchasing a Carte Neige in resort have a certificate from their Doctor to hand! Having said that, ignorance of the terms and conditions only comes to light when trying to use it !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It should be included with her season pass. If the pass is provided by an employer, get her to check that it's included.If not get her to 'top it up' at the ticket office. Carte Niege was originally intended for ski professionals in France, back in the day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bowbells, our first CsN were bought in person at the La Tour ESF and required no medical certification.

Buying online also does not require it if you have a prior card.

Annoyingly, when trying to buy online, it didn't recognise last year's number.

I am not convinced your daughter requires it anyway. She sounds appropriately insured.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If not get her to 'top it up' at the ticket office.

Can't necessarily be done - that's how I found out to go to the Club des Sports.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
While on the subject does anyone know good insurance to get for the whole season?

FWIW my employer told us to wait until we get out to resort to get the carte neige, he said you can pick it up from the ticket office in Meribel, not sure about the other resorts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Might be worth checking out Dogtag insurance?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy