Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has your helmet ever saved your bacon.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone

It's Daniel from Snowcore (a ski and board shop in Dundee) We are working with a charity who are producing a documentary on brain injuries suffered by people while skiing & boarding and they are looking for contributions from people (& who would be willing to be interviewed for the documentary) who have experience of the following:

1. Anyone who has had a big fall and their helmet has saved them from a nasty injury

2. Anyone who has had the misfortune to suffer an accident while skiing/boarding that resulted in a brain injury

If you would like to contribute or you have any personal testimony then please feel free to PM me and if you are happy for me to pass on your details, I will send them on to the charity.

Please feel free to ask any questions, I know helmets are a VERY hot topic on here so I will do my best to answer any questions you have.

All the best

Daniel @ Snowcore
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Popcorn Hour. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I leave my bacon in the fridge
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@moffatross, beat me too it.
@Snowcore, can of worms opened.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowcore, sorry should ahve said - welcome to SH - sounds interesting project but helmet threads are good for splitting views
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boris

Hey Boris

I completely understand so we do feel it's a good chance to get peoples message across regardless on which side of the fence you are on. I would like to note that this is a request from the charity for peoples own story, we are not involved in the production so I volunteered to put an appeal out.

W did a little research on the forum and I got a feel of just what an emotive topic it has been but all contributions are welcome and anyone willing to PM me details will be forwarded to the researchers!

Cheers
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Has your helmet ever saved your bacon. ,

Will have to try hiding it there.
Normally hide it between two slices of bread, so far it has never saved my Bacon. Razz

Welcome to snowheads @Snowcore, Toofy Grin

Good luck with the second most controversial subject on snowheads after the ESF rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hi @Snowcore, it would be interesting to see the numbers of bacon saved and brain damaged in relation to the number of 'reads' of the thread.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snowcore, hope you get some good case studies - can't help personally in terms of skiing - serious head injury falling off bike sans helmet mind you.....................

I suppose the only time a helmet saved my bacon was the day Mrs B bought one and 5 minutes later I pulled the safety bar down on her head Embarassed If I'd have done that the day before I'm sure I'd be a dead man!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Forget about brain damage, I got whacked chuffing hard by some panic-stricken chair lift virgin slamming the safety bar down on my noggin. Would have been quite a whack with even a thick hat on, luckily I had my helmet on so told them to stop being a bellend instead of nursing a nasty lump on my head. I suspect it wouldn't have caused brain injury, but then I am quite good at getting punted in the head by lumps of metal without any adverse consequences.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Note, I am not Mrs Boris, but if he'd done it to me I'd have told him not to be a bellend on the chairlift too Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll decloak first,

1. Big? No, but I have had an accident where I think my helmet saved me from an injury
2. Second hand yes. Friend too big spill - collided with another rider and both ended up in hospital. EMT staff said that if they'd been wearing helmets they'd probably have walked (well staggered) away...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From Boris and Mistress Panda's experience, it appears your helmet saves your Bell End and not your bacon Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowcore,

Quote:

1. Anyone who has had a big fall and their helmet has saved them from a nasty injury

Erm -- sorry to be negative -- but how would I know ? I've had plenty of big falls, some helmeted and some not. In many cases I've winded myself, seen stars when my head has connected with the ground, and broken bones too. I've done this on (or off) skis, mountain bikes and motorcycles. In some cases I've had to replave my helmet 'cos it has been broken by the fall --- but I'm not sure I cam say with any certainty that a broken helmet = saved from further injury Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not a fall but I got whacked over the head with the skis of a Russian guy barging his way onto the gondola in Solden. Would have been nasty without the helmet.
snow report
Sounds a lot like another film that came out a few years ago Puzzled
latest report
Que the Jaws soundtrack and await incoming from the unfunny Gold digger........

Dundun Dundundundun........
ski holidays
@Snowcore, thankfully I have not had a major incident, but two seasons ago I had one of those classic falls. Got down to the bottom of the piste and did a 180 to see if others in my group were behind me. Somehow I then managed to fall backwards and hit the back of my head on the icy part of the slope even though I was stationery at that point. It was probably very minor, but my first thought was - pleased I had a helmet on, as I did "see stars" and did not feel great for a couple of hours.

Having a bald head and finding hats are a bit itchy while skiing I have used a helmet for 10 years now and it keeps my head warm and I find it comfortable.
ski holidays
Here's a post I put on another forum 18 months ago...

I'm a reasonable skier but on the last day of my ski holiday last year I ended up having a fall and bumped my head. I was wearing a helmet and it didn't feel particularly hard. Over the following days the left side of my face began to feel lazy and my speech got progressively worse.

Being male I didn't go to the doctors for over a week thinking it would be ok in few days. It wasn't.

I went to the docs and he sent me immediately for an MRI and it turns out I had some bruising on my brain and a dissected carotid artery. For weeks I sounded like I'd had a stroke or was "special" and it was months before I was nearly normal. 11 months after the event there are still certain words which get tangled up in my mouth, especially when tired or had a drink.

Had I not been wearing the helmet I dread to think what the outcome might have been. The doctor suspected it would have been much more severe.

I'm totally against nanny state deciding what I need to do to protect myself but on a purely practical basis why would you not choose to take basic sensible precautions. You will fall, everyone does.

Just to add, it hasn't put me off skiing at all. I was back again a couple of months later.

I sometimes still have issues with forming certain words 2.5 years later especially when tired. I would never ski without one.
snow conditions
Quote:

pulled the safety bar down on her head

Getting in and out of lifts is the only time my helmet has taken a hit, almost [if not ]always because of being another 3 or 4 inches taller with it on. I actually broke one getting into a tiny gondola in Switzerland I hit my head so hard.
snow report
Woke up in an Argentinian mountain lodge drinking a hot chocolate with no memory of the preceding 10 minutes after ringing my bell in a heelside slam. Was wearing a helmet at the time.
ski holidays
I got whacked by a t-bar in tignes last week, to much amusement to the french teen racer getting on it with me, I'm sure without a helmet (or it could have been the stickers Shocked ) it would have left me with a headache. Embarassed
snow conditions
I was sledding at a place near Mayrhofen a few years ago with the old traditional wooden sleds. I came off on a corner, slid along on my back and the people on a sled behind right me went straight into the back of my head. So lucky I had decided to wear my helmet that evening as I wouldn't have been lucky enough to walk off unharmed!
ski holidays
I kept hitting the hotel door frame when I first bought a helmet, because it makes me 2 inches taller. Does it count?
snow report
Stood up last year and banged my head on a corner wearing a helmet and it cut the helmet. Without the helmet I would have had a nasty gash on the head.

My 76 year old father in law was skiing with us at VT last year. This was the first year in 40 years of skiing that he had worn one due to wifely nagging. He fell over on the bumpy bit going round the corner to the second chair lift on Plein Sud, the one that heads on up to Meribel/goitschel. Completely innocous but he took a hell of a bang. Broken rib and a split helmet. We didn't even know he had done it and carried on up to the top.

If he hadn't have been wearing the helmet I am sure he would have sustained some sort of head injury as well as the broken rib.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Woke up in an Argentinian mountain lodge drinking a hot chocolate with no memory of the preceding 10 minutes after ringing my bell in a heelside slam. Was wearing a helmet at the time.
...The shocking thing was, he'd been skiing a blue run in La Plagne at the time Wink
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@Snowcore, hope you get some good case studies - can't help personally in terms of skiing - serious head injury falling off bike sans helmet mind you.....................

I suppose the only time a helmet saved my bacon was the day Mrs B bought one and 5 minutes later I pulled the safety bar down on her head Embarassed If I'd have done that the day before I'm sure I'd be a dead man!

If you'd have done it the day before you'd be a free man and would have saved spending out on a helmet wink
snow report
I had a really bad fall once a couple of years ago which knocked me out briefly and left me concussed. When I woke up I knew where I was meant to be, but not where I was, and I knew I was on holiday with friends, but couldn't for the life of me remember who any of them were. Fortunately one of them was with me at the time and got me safely off the slopes and sat me down with hot chocolate.

It took a few hours to feel right again, and I was very very glad I was wearing a helmet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@897sma, jeepers Shocked

I tore a 3cm2 strip out of my scalp on an icy run in Cortina in 2001. a helmet would have helped. I insisted that mrs U wore one on our heli trip in 2012 and of course had to do so likewise. How many trees were wrapped around?*

*(many)
ski holidays
I had a good one in feb skiing down the mountain and a lady went flying into the back of me if I didn't have my helmet on I would of been in hospital .
snow report
I've destroyed a couple of helmets mountain-biking, but not snowboarding.

My wife has destroyed 2 helmets snowboarding. Both incidents would undoubtedly have resulted in a nasty injury without a helmet (the second one might even have resulted in drowning!).
latest report
Dented my last helmet with my ski pole when I landed on it in a fall on the piste. As it was, I did go for a sit down and felt like I needed it. I'm pretty sure, had I not been wearing a lid, that it would have been more serious.
snow report
Brain injury ski film - see "the crash reel", excellent documentary.
latest report
I had a very fast off on my motorbike. Had a strip torn off of it. Years of BJJ had me tucking and rolling.

All of our decent ski crashes haven't involved the head hitting anything.

As for the whole helmet issue, it seems to me that almost everyone wears one, so making it mandatory would only just pee everyone off and be overkill.
snow report
faithsdaddy wrote:
I had a very fast off on my motorbike. Had a strip torn off of it. Years of BJJ had me tucking and rolling.

All of our decent ski crashes haven't involved the head hitting anything.

As for the whole helmet issue, it seems to me that almost everyone wears one, so making it mandatory would only just pee everyone off and be overkill.

Yes, that has struck me. Our group ( 15 or so ) had only 2 helmet wearers 8 years ago, but after one of the group not wearing one got quite a bad head bang, that number suddenly went up to 15
latest report
I've been clobbered damn hard by the bar of a chair lift on my head and been pleased to be wearing mine. I've seen the kids collide with chair lifts having been wiped off them and collide with trees and been pleased they had them on - esp. the day my daughter got wiped off the chair and disappeared under it. In horse riding circles it is just as emotive a subject, but I was pleased to be wearing one the day,, as a child I took a flier over the horses shoulder and the first thing to connect with the brick wall of the indoor school was my head!! I've also seen a snowboarder in Les Arcs go down backwards whilst helmetless, connect head with icy piste and not move for 10 minutes then when he finally stood up in my care he was distinctly concussed and I think a helmet would have helped him. No, I don't haven't got a tale of when it saved me from brain damage, but that doesn't stop my helmet being a no-brainer (pardon the pun!). When I first skied 25 years ago I couldn't afford to buy one, but since being able to I've certainly done so.
ski holidays
Don't you just love a helmet thread. Skullie
My buddy bought a helmet after years without. Within a few yards of our hotel on the first morning with his new helmet he went for a cropper on the icy path. His head struck the floor with a fearsome clatter. He was shaken but not stirred, I can't help thinking without his helmet there would have suffered sever injury. I am not sure he needs it for skiing as he rarely falls with his skis on.
snow report
Well I think I have gotten off rather lightly, I admit I didn't know quite what a tinderbox the subject of helmets seem to be so I thank each contributor for their messages.

I will PM people who have given me a little detail and for everyone else, thanks for posting and I apologise for coming storming in on such a weighty issue, I will try to make my next OP about something slightly less divisive, maybe religion, capital punishment or even the ESF!

Thanks again guys, it has really been a great experience

The team at Snowcore.
latest report
Mine has saved my bacon once, I wasn't on the slopes though, I was in the loft at home sorting kit out, tried helmet on to make sure all ok after being stored. Kept helmet on whilst sorting the rest of kit, caught my leg and lost balance and whacked my head on the purlins Embarassed
ski holidays
If an epidemiologist was reading this thread, they'd have to assume there was a clear link between wearing helmets and some kind of illness that makes the wearer accident prone, like meniere's disease or something similar. Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy