Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow holiday for 4 guys

Poster: A snowHead
Myself and 3 of my friends (so 4 in total and ages of 24-2Cool want to go on snow holiday sometime next year. Two of the guys haven't been on a snow holiday before while rest of us would be intermediate level (board and ski).

We would want a catered Chalet and would want flights/transfer/accommodation to come to 800€ each if possible. We would like a place with a bit of a night life as well.

I have a look on DirectSki and I can see some good deals for mid Jan in Les Arcs. There is also good places in La Rosière 1850 but doesn't seem to be that great of a resort.

Any suggestions?

Last year I did a solo trip with ice-fire.co.uk after getting recommendations from here and had a great time.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assume you've already looked at Crystal / Skiworld / Ski Olympic / Alpine Elements / blah blah...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@eamoss, you have a PM
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have only looked at Crystal Ski as the others don't fly from Dublin. Obviously we can sort flights and transfers out ourselves but its more hassle.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@eamoss, newer did catered or all-in ski holidays, always do DIY, thus I would not disregard DIY option - check prices and see if the 'hassle' makes sense. Hassle arranging flights and transfers - tough one, as it involves tapping on your keyboard and comparing prices ... Smile
First, choose your dates and if possible avoid big school holidays - prices and availability will be much better. Then flight to Geneva is most likely to be the best option (or the one that offers most options/choice). From Geneva you can go almost anywere - PdS, Trois Vallees, Tignes, Les Arcs, Val d'Isere. Tignes might be a nice option, or Val Thorens - Follie Douce in Val Thorens is a nice experience. In 2014 did both - Val Thorens and Meribel Folie Douce - would not go there every day, but it is a nice atmosphere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If doing DIY, then flying Dublin-Salzburg opens up the whole of Salzburgerland in Austria. Look at Ski Amade, Maria Alm, Flachau, Zell am See, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Kirchberg/Kitzbuhel etc. A list of taxi transfer companies is available on the Salzburg Airport website - you can book a taxi transfer online.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mooney058 Sorry I should have elaborated on what I meant by 'hassle'. I meant that some of agents listed above unless I am mistaken only offer the package deal.

How does it work do agents block book the Chalets themselves or can you get the same Chalet at a cheaper price?

Is there a list of the weeks to avoid on the slopes?

For picking a Chalet online how would I know its in a good location such as do I have to walk 20mins to get a bus or if there is a chair lift right outside?

My trip last year with ice-fire.co.uk was pretty much DIY as I sorted flights, rental and passes myself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@eamoss, Tour Operators' catered chalets are usually operated by the TOs themselves - they rent the chalet for the season, staff it and only sell rooms to their own guests as part of a 'Package'.

Many TOs also offer hotel rooms in a number of hotels in a resort. The 'Package' that they sell includes flight, transfer and room & board. You may find that you can put your own DIY package together cheaper by contacting the hotels directly and organising the flight and transfer yourself. Depends on the resort, airline used, time of year and the individual hotel, your negotiation skills and the amount of 'hassle' you want to deal with.

Then there are all of the hotels, B&Bs, independent chalets, Pensions, private apartments etc. that are in every resort that do not work with any TOs. These you need to book yourself, either directly, through sites such as Booking.com, or through the local Tourist Offices. This is probably what you did when you stayed with ice-fire.

As for location - look at Google Maps, online local resort maps or ask on Snowheads.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@eamoss, Make life easy for yourself and book with a tour operator - yes it's possibly not how to get the keenest price, but it will be easier - especially if you can get deals for the newbies.

Generally speaking you will get more 'fun apres' in the austrian resorts - if big pints and euro cheese is your bag. If you want more modern/uptempo the look for La Folie Douce in some of the french resorts.
At that age range and wanting a bit of nightlife I would look at Val Thorens or Les Deux Alpes for france. Somewhere like Ischgl or Mayrhofen for Austria and in Italy I've had some fun in Cervinia
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why don't you consider Gulmarg for your Ski holiday. One of the best powder destinations on the planet and worth the money, You can get an amazing deal in your budget ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Why don't you consider Gulmarg for your Ski holiday. One of the best powder destinations on the planet and worth the money, You can get an amazing deal in your budget ...

Are Ryanair doing Dublin - Srinagar on Saturdays ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
quinton wrote:
Quote:

Are Ryanair doing Dublin - Srinagar on Saturdays ?

Am not sure but you will get a connecting flight from Delhi
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi @eamoss,

I'm not sure if you've found anywhere yet, but if you guys are still looking, check out AdventureBASH. We run trips out to Morzine throughout the season and are around your price range. Great trips, 4 star accommodation without breaking the bank. We've got trips running in January, February and March. You can find out more at www.adventurebash.com.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
only problem with catered chalet when you are on a guys holiday is that you are stuck to rigid meal times. You may go out straight from skiing. Be having a great time then have to go home for food! I go every year on guys holidays and we've knocked catered chalets on head. We pay much less for the holiday and go self catering. Then we have money left over for restaurants etc at our convenience. This allows us to make the most of the après ski. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Guys Singlesport has Courchevel chalets including ski lessons or Alp D'Huez chalet for boarders & skiers
latest report
La rosiere is a nice resort would recommend it to anyone with young kids but for a lads holiday I wouldn't bother. I'd look at morzine or mayrhofen.
ski holidays
@garethjomo, Nice to see someone else making this point! This is exactly what we found when holidaying in Austria. The après-ski kicks off at 4pm and continues until at least 7.30pm, if not later. There is then a two hour intermission for a quick change and something to eat, before the après-après-ski starts. We used to find the rigid chalet dinner times very inconvenient and often used to arrive still in our ski gear (singing our heads off) half-way through the meal. Eating in restaurants or bars (e.g. Bobby's in Saalbach), is good, cheap and easy in Austria, and you can time it to your convenience.
@eamoss, We still have some availability - PM me if interested. Your budget seems generous! Oh, and opt for Austria if you want to show your newbies some Alpine après-ski!
snow report
Okay so still nothing booked but we are coming around to the idea of self catered.

We had said we would each look into of the following resorts;
Les Deux Alpes, France
Les Arcs, France
Livigno, Italy
Soll, Austria

Anyone see anything wrong with any of these resorts or is there something that we should be looking at instead?

But it looks like we will be going down the DIY route.
snow conditions
If you're looking for night-life, I'd look at Tignes / Val d'Isere over Les Arcs.
latest report
wHEN i WENT TO lIVIGNO THE TRANSFER WAS STUPID -ABOUT 7 HRS iirc EVEN THOUGH THE BROCHURE SAID 3....

And there were no hold ups. Some carriers now fly to a closer airport, so check first!!
ski holidays
Having visited Les Deux Alpes and Les Arcs several times, I would say that I enjoyed the skiing experience, but the après-ski basically consisted of having dinner and then reading a book! Can't comment on Livigno. Soll should be typical lively Austrian après-ski, but can't comment on the skiing, as again, I haven't been there - however I'm sure that you can do better within the budget you've set.
latest report
Livigno is great but I agree about the transfer. It took us over 5 hours from Milan. I also found the apres in Les Deux Alpes underwhelming especially in comparison to Austria.
ski holidays
Think about flying to geneva and staying in Morzine. Cheap, 1 hour transfer, well linked, good apres and if you go jan-march snow will be fine. Smile
snow conditions
Check out the rude lodge in morzine
ski holidays
I love soll. I grew up skiing there but if my memory serves me right there isn't that much après, a couple of bars. but it is a brilliant resort with a TONN of skiing as it is hugely linked to other resorts. Soll is also a very traditional village. Built before the ski resort.

I spent last season in les arcs and heading out again for this season. Again great skiing. There is lots of après. 1800 is pretty lively, my fav bar being red hot and bkm. There is also a nightclub. And if you are feeling hungry at 3am there is A kebab shop open till late and if you get bored of all the drinking there is even a bowling ally.

On the mountain you have the arpette on a wed for après. That is the best day and a few others.

Vallandry and paisey and plan paisey are quieter but still something to do with a few bars.
ski holidays
Hi,
I am a solo skier looking to join a group also.
Wondered if you found anything yet?
I am a 28 y/o male teacher. I’m a reasonably competent skier of 20 years, red/blues and blacks for a challenge! Looking to go for 5-7 days form the 22nd onwards, and need to be back for the 5th Jan.
Please do get in touch if you are interested,
Ian (Hertfordshire)
snow conditions
singlesport have one male space in st Anton for 20 Dec one week hope that might work for you?
snow conditions
Snow bee? Soll not good for Après? You must have been going to a different Soll. Great place for a trip to suit all standards. Been there with mature group and last year with daughters and boyfriends in thei 20's who loved the place. One of the cheaper Austrian resort and although they had a bit of scare with lack of snow pre Xmas they have plenty there.
The slopes for beginners once you leave the nursery areas are a little awkward but you will not regret a visit there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy