Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No ski carriage left with Crystal/Jet 2 Charter - any experience?

Poster: A snowHead
@margaret, sorry to hear of your ongoing problems but for the next few weeks almost every ski holiday is going to be about the apres!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wasn't me driving then! Dash 8 can be a little bug to land but even with its size I'm glad I was flying it and not some jet during those February storms
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Embraer wrote:
Wasn't me driving then!

Cool

Embraer wrote:
Dash 8 can be a little bug to land but even with its size I'm glad I was flying it and not some jet during those February storms

I do recall having a good view of the runway at BHX on a number of occasions due to the crab angle needed in strong crosswinds. Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, for me it doesn't matter, but I feel sorry for the rest of you
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Embraer, Embraer and Dash 8 - must be a Flybe Pilot!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got to Be. Used to Be. Now ABus Be Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
2 switch pilot then? On/Off & Up/Down Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shirley they don't need THAT much pilot intervention !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having the same experience with espritski, family ski holiday without skis. Spent the time waxing them only to find espritski don't think they are an essential bit of kit on a ski holiday....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mt wrote:
Having the same experience with espritski, family ski holiday without skis. Spent the time waxing them only to find espritski don't think they are an essential bit of kit on a ski holiday....

I was able to add ski carriage last March with esprit for the trip only a few weeks later. I was pleasantly surprised at the time as trying to add that late I thought I had no chance.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
Crystal are doing well at the moment aren't they ---- Can't take your skis and can't provide ski guiding (glad I booked with Neilson.....!)

I think that's a little unfair. We all know the law in France now means ski hosts cannot provide ski guiding. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Crystal have engaged a ski school in Val Thorens to provide free ski guiding on the Sunday afternoon. I'm sure we are paying for that in the holiday cost but it's a sensible compromise.

limiting ski carriage seems sensible to me. The normal ticket price includes up to 20kg in Europe. If they allowed everyone to book ski carriage, who do they turn away at the airport when they discover they are going to be overweight? Ski carriage is a variable they can easily control. Everyb5 sets of skis is equivalent to another passenger, I.e. 75kg.

To get an idea how fine these calculations are, I used to regularly ski in Innsbruck and if the wind was in the wrong direction, the pilot had to decide how to reduce weight in order to be able to take off😱. Last time he took the expensive decision and burnt off fuel on the runway. This meant he had to refuel at Munich as there was not enough to get back to Gatwick.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steveee, the ratio of skis to people makes no sense. The business model is to sell ski holidays so the extra weight should be baked into their operating model. If they think it doesn't affect custom then maybe they can get away with it, but we won't be gambling with them agin unless the childcare is exceptional. Adding in the cost of hire, minus the cost of carriage, we wouldn't have been half way to the cost of a nanny.

Ski holidays need skis or boards, simples.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mt, I'm not 100% sure what your gripe is. Are Esprit saying that all available ski carriage "places" are gone? If yes, then this is understandable. Aircraft only have a certain amount of space fir ski/board bags. Once its gone, its gone.

I booked our 2016 Esprit holiday as soon as we came back. I booked ski carriage as I know there is a risk that it can sell out.

Have a look at their Facebook page. You can message them or post to their page. They are normally very good at responding.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mt wrote:
@Steveee, the ratio of skis to people makes no sense. The business model is to sell ski holidays so the extra weight should be baked into their operating model. If they think it doesn't affect custom then maybe they can get away with it, but we won't be gambling with them agin unless the childcare is exceptional. Adding in the cost of hire, minus the cost of carriage, we wouldn't have been half way to the cost of a nanny.

Ski holidays need skis or boards, simples.

They have to make some estimate of the % of people who will want ski carriage. It's always been well under half on any trip I've been on. It turns out you've been unlucky this time. Did you check there was ski carriage available when you booked your holiday?

There are other ways you can still get your skis to the alps, and not have to hire (assuming you haven't left this to the last minute). I've not used them, but there are several companies offering services to courier skis direct from your home to your accommodation, including https://www.sendmybag.com and http://www.pisteofmind.com/ They look like they might have worked out cheaper than the ski carriage I've booked for this year.
snow report
Classic, managed to get in to the on-line reservations portal and on hold with a nice lady from Jet2, but you couldn't make this up. No space for any more skis into Chambery but I could take a bike up to 30kg or golf clubs?

A winter flight into Chambery and they place an artificial limit on the number of skis, but will still accept other sporting goods.
ski holidays
Book golf glubs (sporting equipment) rock up early to check in with the skis and please ignorance over booking 'sports equipment'.

Check in staff will be generic airport folks. Job done.
latest report
@Mt, I'm surprised that Jet2 would be able to sell anything on an Esprit/SkiTotal charter. Judging by your post on the other thread it looks like you decided not to risk booking a bike and turning up with skis instead. Very Happy Very Happy

Was the flight busy? Did there look to be a lot of ski bags on it?

I'm assuming that if you are in Val then you are at the Ducs? I've been there before and going back again in March. I hear they have spruced it up a bit and added an extension.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy