Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is grenoble cheaper to fly to than geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Just noticed that the grenoble flights are much cheaper than the geneva flights, despite being much closer to the three valleys. Is there a downside to flying to grenoble that I'm missing?

Cheers,

mnbv
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grenoble is small but if the flight times and transfers work for you then go for it -- you don't get the same ground transport options, intercontinental connections, high-end watch shops or anything to do the other side of security and the place is either empty or full, but on the plus side the baggage delivery isn't far from the runway at all and the car hire and buses are a very short walk from customs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grenoble is much smaller, presume landing fees lower, I always go for it if I can. Cack all to do if you get delayed coming home, but they have food and drink plus McD down the road for emergency airport boredom.

Only possible downside is less ability to clear huge amounts of snow, but exceptionally rare they will close for long.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might be worth looking into Lyon–Saint Exupéry Airport too. They were at the London ski show and said they give skiers a special welcome snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do they still have the tent at Lyon for the charter flights?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mnbv, one occasional problem is that it's French, and more prone to strike disruption than Geneva. We once took a couple of people there to find it pretty well deserted. All flights cancelled - the email from easyJet had reached us shortly after we left the apartment to drive there. rolling eyes For us, Geneva is closer, but if Grenoble (which is quite a way from Grenoble) suit you, then go for it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flights to Grenoble aren't always a lot cheaper - it depends!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TAX
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@blahblahblah, why does Holland have a poo festival?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@blahblahblah, So High taxation France charges less tax than Switzerland. Who would of thought it. Meanwhile I have never managed to find a flight to Grenoble less than those to Geneva and my friend (who lives in Grenoble) always flies from Geneva or occasionally Lyon as he can never find a cheaper flight from Grenoble.

As @pam w, says Grenoble airport is no where near Grenoble and at least one web site describes it as Lyon.

Slightly off topic. Does Ryanair still fly to St. Etienne and call it Lyon?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also far less readily available transfers from Grenoble to the resorts as they have far less flights so a bit of a chicken and egg so the transfer co's don't prioritise it as it were.

When it works though can be a very good way to get to certain resorts if hiring a car, being met etc though if like us and you're coming to from Serre and the Col is shut as happened last year can be a real PITA
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There's not that much difference in transfer time compared to Geneva, unless you're going to Les Deux Alpes, Alpe d'Huez, etc. The airport is on the "wrong" side of the city for the 3 Valleys, Espace Killy, Paradiski, etc. so by the time you drive all the way around the city, it's not much better than Geneva. Traffic is usally better though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mtsuit wrote:
high-end watch shops

That's the good part about flying through Geneva. I think to myself, I've 30 minutes to kill, let's kill the boredom buying a £10,000 watch.

Or maybe not.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bensbus transfers from Grenoble to Alpe D'Huez and Les Deux Alpes are superb IMO. Very reasonably priced and timed for all the flights during the winter. Used them on several occasions since 2007, no complaints at all.

Flying into Grenoble on a Saturday in high season isn't great though. From queuing outside for passports to waiting for luggage to the security queues on the way out it can be pretty painful.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dogwatch, no, I've never been tempted by the watches either. But Geneva also has a big and well stocked supermarket which is open long hours.
ski holidays
@pam w, and a pizza place that does thai green curry pizza.
ski holidays
@Claude B, but not so good to the Three Valleys etc and even to our neck of the woods, Serre Ch as well as La Grave.

I know there are a few transfers up to Moutiers / Bourg as my daughters have taken them, but very few and far between.

In fact we've often said if the Serre Tourist Authority got their act together and laid on a coach to meet all the Easy Jet flights etc that would be great for the valley, especially as they have so many coaches going up and down the valley all day long and many empty, but probably different coaches etc needed and licenses to get over the Col.
latest report
@Weathercam, Why not suggest it to Ben. Yes he is a real person Ben Keown I think. They could perhaps run a minibus from the dam dropping off from their L2A bus if there aren't the numbers for a full coach.
latest report
@Claude B, Ben quite rightly looks at his bottom line and has worked out (maybe) there's not the necessary return, where as the Serre Domain may well have the resources that could handle it and could view it as a long term investment, but there again you're dealing with a body that although numbers of visiting skiers are consistently down year on year still put prices up and seem to ignore any logical marketing practices??
snow conditions
Quote:

you're dealing with a body that although numbers of visiting skiers are consistently down year on year still put prices up and seem to ignore any logical marketing practices??

Ah, you've encountered that uniquely French approach to business as well? Customer numers are down! To make the same amount of money, we must put prices up! rolling eyes

Up there with not wanting to let me book the mountain bike uplift for my guided clients. "Someone else might want to use it." "But we'll fill it?". "But someone else might want to use it." "They can't if it's full?" etc, etc... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Also, at Grenoble, you don't get the first 5 notes of "How much is that doggy in the window" repeated ad infin.
snow conditions
@zammo, Laughing I have sometimes, when waiting round for arrivals in Geneva, actually found myself singing that outloud.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@blahblahblah, why does Holland have a poo festival?

Its a music festival.
snow report
@blahblahblah, it is a slightly unfortunate TLD Shocked
ski holidays
@under a new name, for sure, not as bad as Pen Island.
snow report
mtsuit wrote:
Grenoble is small but if the flight times and transfers work for you then go for it -- , but on the plus side the baggage delivery isn't far from the runway at all and the car hire and buses are a very short walk from customs.

Ha, ha that makes me laugh cos the last time I went through Grenoble, I don't know what came over me but I went straight out to my Bens Bus transfer to La Grave and after the bus rep asked me how many bags I had, I realised I had completely forgotten to pick my bag off the baggage carousel in arrivals!!

I kid you not, I must have been half asleep or something. So anyway, I went back to the airport arrivals area, and I honestly was too embarrassed to explain to the local Gendarmes what I had done (plus I didn't know how they would react e.g. would they insist on me unpacking my luggage, make me miss the bus, etc), so I spotted that when people came out of the arrivals area the glass doors stayed open to the arrivals area for a few seconds, so I simply darted back inside the arrivals hall, whipped up my now lonely bag and got the hell back out of there pronto. Major embarrassment and potential international airport incident averted Embarassed rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy