Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal cancel ski guiding in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
@dsoutar, of course I get it. I would actually agree with all that wink I've done it and it has been fun and harmless. Yes we have had to talk the rep down in a white out and yes there have been bodies scattered everywhere on an inappropriate slope for the group but that just added to the entertainment and nothing bad happened. Particularly in this day and age of the internet booking, technology solutions and social media it is getting tougher for TOs to add value and such a service is less necessary . I think there are work arounds and alternatives that will be found to the extent there is demand. Just not something I can get excited about as I can do all of these things without a TO.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you may be in more danger skiing with a random nutter met on social media.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes but its easy these days to keep in touch with skiing acquaintances and arrange to ski. There is absolutely no ban anywhere on social skiing so nothing to stop you skiing with strangers. If ski hosting is important to people then there are lots of places that still offer it outside France and Italy and some hotels and TOs still offer hosting with ski instructors.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lechbob wrote:
dsoutar wrote:
I think TTT, you are still missing the point here.

Yes, I don't need someone to guide me round the pistes. I can ski on my own, I can understand a piste map & find restaurants but it can be fun to ski with a random bunch of strangers. I might make new friends.
^^^This^^^ In my situation (wife can't ski any more due to injury) the hosting service has become a valuable part of our winter holiday. I can't see any good reason for making it illegal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lechbob wrote:
I think you may be in more danger skiing with a random nutter met on social media.

Wot, like a bash snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Then why not either use the social skiing option which I don't see is a significant difference or go somewhere that offers ski hosting? As ever accept, adapt or change.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I understand the role of the TO host as facilitator but some feel this person requires no special skills including apparently intelligence, humour or a sense of fun

I must've missed that bit.

Quote:

The model seems to predicate itself on the basis that brits are incapable of organising a holiday independently, can hardly ski, can't read a Piste map and have no social skills to organise something among themselves

Quote:

Who said there was a problem with consumers?

TTT, methinks you are deliberately failing to grasp the point. You say on one hand that you just start skiing with no need of a piste map, then on the other that an instructor should be required to guide folk off a hill in a whiteout.

Surely you can see from some replies on this thread that some skiers, booked through a TO, value this service. Whether they be solo skiers looking to make friends for the week, families who want to get a feeling for their environs, or whatever other reason. That to join up in a group and ski together for a morning following the local rep does not mean that the local rep needs to be a qualified ski instructor to adequately execute this service (we have all, I'm sure, followed lesser skiers at some point).
To constantly rebuff that argument by saying it is against the law is to ignore the argument. If we all took that stance women still would be unable to vote.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As someone said this morning this is getting too much like work: No where have I written that I never have a need for a piste map. No where have I written that an instructor should be required to lead a group off in a white out. No where have I written that I agree with the law. I think I could be forgiven for thinking that people read what they think something says rather than what it actually says just like many people have done with the EU rules if they have actually read them. Presumably they are just on the wind up
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I rarely use a Piste map. I just ski what is in front of me
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I apologise because as I've said before English is not my main language and I did not realise that I rarely use a piste map was the same as I have no need for a piste map.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TTT, as I am sure you are well aware, you can just ski what is in front of you with (at that time) no need for a piste map. That is different from never needing a piste map.

It looks like I have taken a bite out of whatever bait you have left on the bridge that you reside under.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry I don't understand your first point. Rarely does not equal no need as far as I'm aware. I just mean I don't get hung up about doing a particular lift or run or hut or route. That seems too much like work for me. I just ski and stop as the mood takes me and then follow the signs in the direction of my accommodation when it is times to head back. I just don't understand or feel the need to follow a set plan or route and prefer to just let it happen so don't feel the need for someone to show me around. Admittedly that happens more as I get more experienced, confident and am able to cover greater distances.

I've numerously openly admitted that I set out a position that I don't always personally agree with. It's called debate and a standard methodology for elucidating an argument to reach a better understanding. I like most people have to advocate a certain position at work all the time which I may not personally agree with and am used to reading very carefully what people actually write and what they actually mean. E.g. Do people seriously believe for instance that a Daily Mail or other journalist actually believes what they write or that it is the full balanced story? They are in the business of selling media not the truth. Do people believe a barrister or anyone else representing a client actually believe they are presenting the whole story or their personal beliefs. They are not. It's a debate not legal testimony.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher wrote:
Lechbob wrote:

Wot, like a bash snowHead

^ this Smile Smile Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TTT wrote:
Sorry I don't understand your first point. Rarely does not equal no need as far as I'm aware. I just mean I don't get hung up about doing a particular lift or run or hut or route. That seems too much like work for me. I just ski and stop as the mood takes me and then follow the signs in the direction of my accommodation when it is times to head back. I just don't understand or feel the need to follow a set plan or route and prefer to just let it happen so don't feel the need for someone to show me around. Admittedly that happens more as I get more experienced, confident and am able to cover greater distances.

I've numerously openly admitted that I set out a position that I don't always personally agree with. It's called debate and a standard methodology for elucidating an argument to reach a better understanding. I like most people have to advocate a certain position at work all the time which I may not personally agree with and am used to reading very carefully what people actually write and what they actually mean. E.g. Do people seriously believe for instance that a Daily Mail or other journalist actually believes what they write or that it is the full balanced story? They are in the business of selling media not the truth. Do people believe a barrister or anyone else representing a client actually believe they are presenting the whole story or their personal beliefs. They are not. It's a debate not legal testimony.
Enough! Please, just remove your head from your ass, chill out and say what you really think. We are talking about people on holiday having fun by sliding down mountains on planks of wood ffs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
agw wrote:
Enough! Please, just remove your head from your ass, chill out and say what you really think. We are talking about people on holiday having fun by sliding down mountains on planks of wood ffs.

I think that just about covers it perfectly. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 22-11-14 0:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

just remove your head from your ass, chill out and say what you really think

In the language of your choice...
snow conditions
As I said I've no particular personal views on the subject as I've no need for the service.

The options are

A Moan
B ski solo
C join a social skiing group
D go somewhere offering ski hosting
E makes friends and acquaintances to ski with

Personally I recommend option E with a bit of B,C,D as occasion arises and find that selecting option A is mutually exclusive to option E. If the most unpopular poster on SH can manage option E it can't be that difficult. Lessons so you have the ability to ski with more people and learning the local language helps. wink

It's up to the individual which option they choose but it seems there are a lot of options there other than moaning and I find what you get out depends on what you put in.
ski holidays
For those of us with little sense of direction it is great to have a piste leader who says - "just ski down there, take the left fork and we'll meet at the xxx lift before going to a nice restaurant for lunch" - it is not guiding or instructing - it is like skiing with "mates" - but they weren't "mates" till this morning. Certainly saves me ages trying to get to grips with piste maps - where I appear to suddenly become dyslexic.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Lessons so you have the ability to ski with more people and learning the local language helps. wink

I'm not sure what to say about this and remain polite. You're making assumptions about people's skiing ability and language capabilities that are totally without any foundation. Do you have any clue what my skiing ability is like? Or almost anyone else's that have written here? Do you know how many languages I speak? Do you know how I behave in a country who's language I don't speak (unfortunately I am not a polyglot). All the while you seem to imply some kind of personal superiority about your level of skiing and make snide remarks about British skiers, ironically whilst accusing people of xenophobia.

Like all your comments this is total BS and completely redundant to any argument. Your comments about "debate" are laughable. Unless "debate" means talk total BS and then try to find some justification for coming across as a .....

I am unsubscribing from this topic as you are not worth my energy and this has strayed too far from the valid point of the topic because of your frankly ridiculous posts. Of course you don't really care as you keep trying to remind people because

TTT wrote:

As I said I've no particular personal views on the subject as I've no need for the service."

In which case I suggest you stop posting.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Lessons so you have the ability to ski with more people and learning the local language helps

In my last group lesson the instructor's mother tongue was french the rest of the group were Russian, the instructor had to speak English so everyone understood. So that was a waste of 8 years of french lessons.
snow report
It's just a statement of fact that the better you can ski and the more languages you have the more people you can ski with. I'm making no assumptions about anyone on here as I don"t know. It's a fair generalisation that people who ski have less skiing opportunities so less ski ability and the lack of language ability is notorious.

Some people seem very excited about the subject, are overall sensitive and very easy to tease and seem happy to imply things not written. It's up to individuals what they do. The rules will also apply to French and Italians. Some people seem to be insulting Brits by saying they need the service as they have less spatial and social skills than the French and Italians. I doubt that.

I appreciate this is predominantly a brit message board but it does seem sometimes that unless you blindly slag off everything the other side of the channel it is rubbish. Seems like some people don't have the ability to see things from another perspective and get very defensive/aggressive about alternative points of view which don't fit in with their prescribed views.
snow conditions
@TTT, "it's a fair generalisation that people who ski have less skiing opportunities"

Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
@TTT, I reckon you have more posts on this thread than anyone else, yet you say you have no particular views on it and can't get excited about it?
latest report
TTT wrote:

I appreciate this is predominantly a brit message board but it does seem sometimes that unless you blindly slag off everything the other side of the channel it is rubbish.

Prime example of strawman BS. For the purposes of debate your style is remarkably transparent and verges on what might ordinarily call trolling or at the very least the new version of Godwin's Law (Dacre's Law?) where one invokes the Daily Mail rather than Nazis.
ski holidays
@dode, think it was meant to say something like generally brits have less opportunity to ski than others. It's no criticism, just logical.

I don't need it so taking away the service is not something for me to get excited about and I'm curious why other people get so indignant when there are lots of other alternatives.
ski holidays
I may be taking a wild punt here but the reason for people being indignant might just be that they don't like the alternatives and also the somewhat spurious nature of the use of the law to do so
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, you would know better than me! I just have different experiences to some on here so I am exposed to different perspectives and views. I think that it it healthy for debate to challenge populist views and making fun of dogmatic views is an age old way of doing that.

English is not my main language but some people seem unable to distinguish between a quote, statement for argument purposes, a personal view and when someone is teasing them.
ski holidays
@dsoutar, but is social skiing so different to hosting and if so important go somewhere where ii is available. Why waste energy getting excited about something when there are alternatives or just make friends and acquaintances?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well it doesn't really matter does it? Because if you can't make them clear then it becomes your problem rather than the many in the audience. You have a habit of lumping everyone who is "debating" against you into the same "populist" boat and a bit of a track record in being disingenuous about your own credentials e.g."I'm just a punter skier ". And the faux naieve "I'm not a native English speaker" act is wearing a bit thin when you're more than happy to parse your own prose to demonstrate that anyone who takes issue with you can't read properly.

Perhaps for us thickies you could clearly tag what intent you have with each statement you make while we learn your style( and FWIW I actually agree with a lot of what you've said on this thread just find some of your debating style baffling)
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, i'm just a paying customer so I'm just a punter. If I don't like something I go somewhere else or do something else. I don't have a problem. I just ski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy