Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Randonnee boot reccomendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am currently touring with Dynafit Titan TLT boot, which I have found to be very comfortable for my feet.

However, at 2.1kg per boot, i am looking to move to a lighter boot. somewhere around 1-1.5kg, something to do everything with but on the lighter end.

I went to my local boot shop and tried on a few of this seasons boots.

dynafit tlt 6
scarpa f1 evo
La sportiva spectre
scarpa maestrale

I diddnt like the fit for any of them due to pressure on the top of the instep, the maestrales were probably the best for comfort. The one i was keen on in other respects was the scarpa f1 evo. however the guy in the shop told me that they were had the most space for a high instep for any boot they had... so that if that was no good he had no others ( i think he was really pushing the sale of that boot) so i am not sure where to go now.

My feet have high instep and this can mean they feel compressed at the top of the foot, which leads to loss of circulation.

any idea for a light boot like the f1 evo but with a higher instep?

i am hoping snowheads have the answer, or at least reccomendation for bootfitters with good touring boot stock.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What ski and binding are you using?

If the Titan's are comfy and work for you maybe think less about weight of boot and more about combined weight of ski system

ski + binding + boot = total touring weight
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i'm currently using Scott Crusairs and dynafit radical ft, i dont have any wish to change the skis, i think theres more to be gained on the boots.

i'm just looking for anybody that tours and also has a high instep,

My alpine boots are atomic hawx and i had this problem until they ground down the base plate and also a bit of the tongue, but often there is no base plate on randonne boot so i am looking for something that has a high instep already.... for which theres not a lot of guidance on the net that i can find?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I vaguely recall that Scarpa's older boot models had quite high insteps, but I'm guessing they'll probably be heavier or softer than you'd really like. It has also been quite a while since I tried to squeeze my feet into some, so I could be misremembering.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ractys, I haven't tried any on in a year or so (or two?), but while I couldn't fit comfortably into a Scarpa Maestrale and Maestrale RS (crippled my instep even in too big a shell) the Dynafit Mercury was quite ok . I ended up with Technica Cochise Pro Lights as the majority of my skiing is/was still in resort, but I think into something like the Mercury as a more dedicated touring boot next time.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 12-11-14 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maestrale RS still has some of the high arch but not nearly so much as the Spirits did. I did have a bit of crippled feet saga on first day out with RS's that wasn't evident until after a few hours of skiing, skinning and pole work to the middle of nowhere but it was easily remedied back home without needing to resort to the mythical, magical services of an 'expert boot fitter'.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had the same high instep problem and found that the Cosmos (Garmont Sad ) worked for me. Might be worth trying the new Scott Cosmos II
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you fit the Dynafits, you are unlikely to fit a Scarpa. Dynafit fit a narrower foot, while Scarpa are more suited to a higher volume foot. The reason you probably found the Maestrale comfortable was that you had too much room in it. I highly recommend getting the boots fitted professionally with custom footbeds. It really makes a huge difference and if you go somewhere good they will guarantee to get you fitted perfectly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, I should say that you have to get your boots fitted in resort. The only way to know they fit is to use them. Get them fitted when you arrive and you can get them adjusted if they feel wrong when you are skiing. Sole boot lab in Chamonix are excellent.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I also have issues with high instep. I found the maestrales too tight across the top. I have ended up with some slightly modified garment lusters which I found best. I do recommend a bootfitter though! I got mine from ski Bartlett in London. fitting and modification took 3 hours!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jarvinho, not so sure about the Dynafit / Scarpa difference in sizing. I have some TLT 5s and some Maestrale RSs and there's not much in it as far as fit is concerned.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ractys, I forget the name of the shop (a forum search will find it), but there is meant to be a very good bootfitter in Chamonix for touring boots.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i'm not in a rush, as my existing touring boots do the job, if i can get to chamonix early season it could be the answer.

my motivation is really some boots that weight less, as i think it will be very noticeable on big days or week long tours.

interesting comments about the tlt5 line, they might be worth a try as it was the tlt 6's i tried before which seemed crippling on the instep and apparently the tlt5s have a bit more room.

i have a narrow foot overall, with high arch. I have custom footbeds which are good for support of the arch, but if the instep is pressured by the shell theres not much that can be done i dont think. Sometimes the footbed contributes as it raised your foot in the boot above where it would normally be.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ractys, SOLE in Chamonix are your folks for good fitting.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ractys, Sanglard Sports also in Chamonix are the other company that come highly recommended.
latest report
I also have a high instep tried scarpa maestrales dynafit ect ended up with garmont cosmos with custom footbed from bartletts great survice.i would advise get them fitted before you go as i found it hard to find wide or high instep touring boots in resorts
snow report
I also have a high instep tried scarpa maestrales dynafit ect ended up with garmont cosmos with custom footbed from bartletts great survice.i would advise get them fitted before you go as i found it hard to find wide or high instep touring boots in resorts
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy