Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy Jet

Poster: A snowHead
Do you know if EJs 'sports equipment' charge includes ski boots (along with the skis) or do the boots come out of our 20kg hold allowance?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure whether this answers your question (it`s the EJ blurb)

"Baggage Allowances

Each passenger is usually permitted

* one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm, and
* a free allowance of standard checked-in hold baggage to a maximum weight of 20kgs

A fee per kilo for excess weight over these allowances is charged prior to departure.

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kilos. Freight or cargo items cannot be accepted as passenger baggage.

Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. As items of sporting equipment are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines, easyJet is prepared to carry such items on a ‘limited release’ (i.e. entirely ‘at your own risk’ for damage or delay) basis. You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force for such items. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kilos. Freight or cargo items cannot be accepted as passenger baggage.

Bicycles, golf equipment, and skis

An additional fee is charged per flight for the carriage of bicycles, golf equipment, and skis.
Currency Per flight
GBP 15.00
Euro 22.50"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, I think you'll find that it's standard on any airline that boots go in the hold and are weighed as part of your allowance. You can't normally take boots in the cabin as hand baggage.

When an airline charges for ski carriage, that covers one pair in a bag, so you can stuff the ski bag with clothes if you need to make space for the boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
erica2004, if in doubt wait till a fat bloke has joined the check-in queue and make sure you follow him.

If they try and charge you refer to the weight of the lard monster in front who obviously weighs twice as much as you yet he has paid no extra !!

Hey presto - no charge !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd wear my boots before I put them in the hold...

what if they're delayed at the other end? can do without skis, but rental boots? no-no-no...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
erica2004, David is correct regarding ski boots as hand luggage. The French, normally fairly lenient have seemingly clamped down on this. I dropped a friend off at Grenoble airport yesterday for a Ryanair flight. Although he had travelled from the UK with ski boots as hand luggge, he was told yesterday that under no circumstances would ski boots be allowed on as cabin luggage. He was over his weight allowance as a result, but not charged.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
erica2004, Note your skis are part of the 20kg too..

Cedric, I take my custom insoles out, and carry them separately - they're the bit I really can't be without wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On this subject any experience of easyjet rejecting skis that haven't been pre-booked or waiving the charge if your ski bag is your only baggage (as I intend for weekend trips)?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the last few years, we've travelled easyjet and never paid for our boards. We tend to have a mix of boards and bags and guys with just board bags stuffed with kit ( or the wheely board bags )... generally we've just 'wung it' ( pass tense for 'wing it' ? )

This year, there was an explicit note on the booking form about paying for board carriage. - OK, its normally there in the small print somwhere but i have tactically ignored it, this year it was a tick box that you had to fill in - I chose not to ignore it this year, mainly following a discussion with my brother...

He was on his way to Biarritz, admittedly with Ryanair, but they were turning everyone away who hadn't prebooked Golf clubs or surfboards... he said people were desperately running round the airport trying to find somewhere to store their kit so they could still make the flight ( albeit without their kit ) - it seemed this was mainly due to SO many people turning up who hadn't booked, but this is just as likely to happen on a Friday evening flight to Lyon I guess !

I would rather not miss out on taking my board with me for the sake of £15 ( shared between two as we are fitting two boards to a bag )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richie_S wrote:
I would rather not miss out on taking my board with me for the sake of £15 ( shared between two as we are fitting two boards to a bag )

Be careful! They have been known to check bags for quantities of skis/boards as they realise that people are spreading the cost.

The reason for the charge (apparently) is due to the additional weight requiring additional fuel, so although I haven't experienced these checks it wouldnt surprise me!

Not worth messing around for the sake of a few quid.

ScottyDog
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I normally pay Inghams £15 for ski carriage (for the whole trip)and put 2 pairs in one bag. With Easy Jet I have paid £15.00 per set of skis, each way i.e.£60 on top of the flight. We have 20kg each (extra) for luggage, but it must be only one bag each! We have 2 boot bags, 1 hold-all. I'm sure we could make the weight, but I can't really reduce the number of bags! That's why I wondered if boot bags are covered with skis, with Easy Jet. They have been with other airlines, but I'm a bit dubious about this flight. It's laughable really, one leg of the journey cost £29.99, yet our flights have cost just over £300! I was stitched up with a credit card fee as well because the paying process 'didn't recognise' my switch card. This is rubbish because I paid for the holiday with it 5 mins previously!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, if the easyjet system didn't recognise your switch card, maybe you missed something off, like issue number, I had something similiar a few days ok.

Do Easyjet check the amount of skis in one bag????

regards,

Greg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, It took me a few times to get my debit card recognised - it kept defaulting to a differnt year if I didn't un-highlight the box concerned.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the same way I can never understand folks queuing hours for a one minute mediocre ride at Disney, I cannot fathom why so many put up with the no-frills / so-called-low-cost back bottom-ache and pettiness of the likes of sleazyjet. You're going on holiday for pete's sake so why subject yourself to all this nonesense. I still maintain the "proper" airlines are often cheaper and waaaaaay better in terms of customer service. Anyway, I'd happily pay more. As for checking ski bags for "excess baggage" dodgers! Think I'd go crazy.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easyjet normally seem pretty easy going re skis, ski bags etc. OK, they charge £15 extra for skis now, but they rarely bother weighing that bag.
latest report
JohnHill, That's fine if you live near London. We live in Tavistock, Devon. It's 4.5hrs to Gatwick and 3.25 hrs to LHR. We try to fly from Bristol or Exeter. We don't have all the major airlines, but we have (generally) very quiet airports. The only flight that operates for mid week flights to Geneva is EasyJet.
snow conditions
erica2004, that's the reason I usually go "lo-cost". The flights are more convenient......and JohnHill I've never been able to find a "proper" airline that will fly me to Esjberg, Denmark for £15 inc (Ryanair March), Grenoble £45 return inc. (Easyjet Oct), Geneva £40 ret inc (Easyjet April). You may be able to afford the extra....but I bet I ski more weeks!!
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
JohnHill, That's fine if you live near London. We live in Tavistock, Devon. It's 4.5hrs to Gatwick and 3.25 hrs to LHR. We try to fly from Bristol or Exeter. We don't have all the major airlines, but we have (generally) very quiet airports. The only flight that operates for mid week flights to Geneva is EasyJet.

and why are Easyjet/budget flights so much more expensive (than Gatwick) from Exeter and Brissol?
ski holidays
beanie1, They did weigh my ski bag last year Sad, which contained 2 pairs of skis Sad , and I was over the limit Sad , but still didn't pay any excess charge snowHead
latest report
I was on the easyjet from Stansted-Lyon on Friday, and they just took the skis without question. Ryanair on the other hand charged me €25 at the check-in desk in Grenoble to bring them home again. Thats the first time I've ever been charged though, and I've used both airlines many times without a hitch. Perhaps its the luck of the draw?
snow report
erica2004, don't forget that EasyJet don't have a weight limit on their carry on baggage. You can take one large piece of hand luggage each (about the size of those little trolley cases) on board....more than enough extra baggage to take any excess over and above your hold allowance....the only restriction on weight is that you're capable of lifting it into the overhead bins without assistance, there's a size limit on the terms & conditions page but it's pretty generous.
ski holidays
homphomp, Thanks for that.
snow conditions
Ryanair would charge extra to sit down if they could. I think the ski carriage and excess baggage charge is a fairly arbitrary thing despite the official line. Boots in a bag whilst part of your allowance are usually permissibly on easyjet. If the flight is not full then you would be unlikely to be charged extra for 5-10 kilos over. however if the flight is full then you are more likely to be charged for excess baggage but not guaranteed to be. I'm just wondering if airlines are starting to chance their corporate arms a bit more withthe excess charging sketch
snow conditions
Quote:

We have 20kg each (extra) for luggage, but it must be only one bag each!

That's not my experience with easyJet. I have travelled with them a lot, and never had any problem with any number of bags, within the allowance. On one occasion when we had to take a very heavy boarding plank for a boat their excess baggage charge was WAY less than British Airways. If you do as suggested, and stuff a ski bag with some other clothes, surely you don't need any more than 20 kilos, even with boots? Personally I think that in a fair world the cost of air travel should be by total weight, like posting parcels. You could choose an all-up weight category on booking!
ski holidays
JohnHill wrote:
In the same way I can never understand folks queuing hours for a one minute mediocre ride at Disney, I cannot fathom why so many put up with the no-frills / so-called-low-cost back bottom-ache and pettiness of the likes of sleazyjet. You're going on holiday for pete's sake so why subject yourself to all this nonesense. I still maintain the "proper" airlines are often cheaper and waaaaaay better in terms of customer service. Anyway, I'd happily pay more. As for checking ski bags for "excess baggage" dodgers! Think I'd go crazy.

I think you miss some of the point - with a bit of astute planning I can pack in 4 or more extra skiing weekends a season using easyjet flights at a cost which doesn't bankrupt me. I don't regard these as holidays just what I do in the winter which I unfortuantely can't do in the UK. Would I pay £200 a pop for these extra flights - probably not because all-in I'd end up at £150+ per day's skiing, at £40 it becomes more viable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy