Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendation for not-so-enthusiastic skiiers?

Poster: A snowHead
Group of 4 of us, mid 40s or so. A couple of keen skiiers, a couple of others who are happy to ski a morning and look for something else in the afternoon. Maybe some cross-country, snowmobile, or other activity. Nice resort with some good bars and apres would be nice too.

Any recommendations? Probably be looking for somewhere in France.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val d'Isere if you want good apres! The afternoon non-skiers can even meet you up at the legendary Folie Douce on foot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave333, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead The reasons they don't want to ski would probably also apply to cross-country. It's hard work and more difficult than it looks. But walking, and snowshoeing, might be a good alternative and an increasing number of resorts have sports centres with swimming pools, squash courts, spa treatments etc.

If I wasn't skiing all day (and I often don't ski all day) I wouldn't personally want to be stuck in the middle of Val d'Isere with intimidating treeless slopes all around. Not really attractive surroundings especially if it's cold.

I've only been there in summer but somewhere like the Jungfrau area (Wengen, Murren) might fit the bill - can do train rides, lots of walks, truly spectacular scenery, great coffee-and-cake shops.

Or somewhere in the Dolomites - like Madonna di Campiglio or (if they really like shopping and are well off) Cortina.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ortesei
Zell am see
Kitzbuhel
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave333, some of us are are not taking much notice of your request for a suggestion in France, are we? Confused Megeve, Morzine, Chamonix, perhaps.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave333, I would point out that @pam w, is rather a Val d'Isere hater...

The slopes around the village are neither intimidating nor treeless, and the village itself is very smart and attractive - in MY opinion. But then I love the place.

Alpe d'Huez is worth looking into as well, my other half isn't much of a skier and he found lots of non-skiing activities like ice-driving, skidoos and a helicopter trip.

Megeve is pretty but v expensive!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Portes du Soleil ski area could be a good shout. Good-sized villages in Morzine and Les Gets with things to do off the slopes and a good bus service between the resorts, so they could either bus to meet you for lunch/ski to lunch then bus back/etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Megeve is pretty but v expensive!

Unless you frequent the Michelin-starred restaurants I would guess that, like for like in terms of accommodation and eating, Megeve is cheaper than Val d'Isere. The ski pass is certainly a lot cheaper and the mountain restaurants don't charge their customers extra to pee.

It is true that I don't much like Val d'Isere though, and I would certainly give the Folie Douce a very wide berth. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave333, The helpfulness of advice will increase if you are a bit more specific. Do you mind about budget? Roughly when in the season? Was the list of other activities just a "for example" or are any of those things people specifically want to do? Are you set on France?
Many resorts have hotels with excellent spas that can occupy an afternoon. In places like Wengen and Zermatt the mountain railways can give great access to alternatives - whether it be an afternoon coffee & cake in an idyllic location, access to walking trails or a trip to the Jungfraujoch.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does it have to be France? Austria, Switzerland and Italy all have some lovely ski resorts which are also actual towns all year round. Places like Zermatt or Kitzbuhel have lots of stuff to do as alternatives to skiing. Kitzbuhel would also be handy for a day-trip by train to Salzburg which is a lovely little city. Or if you've got deep enough pockets there's lots to do in St Moritz.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah in France. places are more likely to be purpose built and therefore unsuitable for non-skiers. Both Kitzbuhel and Zell am See are on main train routes for trips to Salzburg or Innsbruck. Kitzbihel has a large sauna/swimming pool complex and there's a large spa in Kaprun near Zell.

What depends as well is how much skiing you want the town to have. There are many places that are in smaller ski areas which offer good things for non-skiers to do but will be limited for those wishing to ski all day. Equally somewhere like Chamonix would be good for non skiers but is not a properly connected ski area.

Unfortunately the places with the best things for non skiers linked to large ski areas are typically the more expensive resorts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are a few hotels in Wengen that Inghams go to and that meet your budget.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Although again not in France Davos has a lot going for it for non skiers and more than enough skiing/snowboarding for the most ardent mile crunchers. @pam w, recommendation of the Jungfrau area is excellent as well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@speed098, Davos apres = discussing the €/Yen swap rate over chateaubriand in the Meierhof
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Innsbruck?
latest report
Is @Dave333 ever going to come back and post in his thread?
snow report
I'll 3rd/4th Kitzbuhel if you aren't 100% set on France.

Briancon is a lovely place with lots of sights/history while also being part of Serre Chevalier. I'd recommend going later in the season. This sometimes opens up lots of walking opportunities in the valleys along with longer daylight hours. This enables a couple of hours skiing for the not so enthusiastic and lots of light to do another outdoor activity.
snow conditions
@hammerite, +1 for Serre Chevalier and Briancon.
ski holidays
Åre in Sweden. Loads to do for non skiers, and very different from the usual Euro bollox you will get in the Alps.
snow report
Sass Fee. Pleasant place for non skiers - and with the option of dropping down the hill to Brig. Keen skiers will find plenty to do in the resort and area - and the have the option of taking a day trip to Zermatt. However, it's been a while since I went - so prices might be worth checking.
snow report
Serre Chevalier we liked for non skiers. Good spa/pool complex, ice karting, dog sledding, pretty lowish slopes, definitely decent nightlife.

I'd agree Val D'Isere if you can handle the prices is very pretty to be in. We skied from dawn till dusk when we were there though so no idea on other activities!
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Is @Dave333 ever going to come back and post in his thread?

Yes! And thanks everyone for the overwhelming response. A lot to think about I'll have a good look at all the suggestions. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Another vote for Val D'Isere here, I took a group of 30 last year including some non skiers. I put together a pack of activities available which hopefully will help you:-

Spa / Treatments
There are several spa in Val, but it is suggested that you book treatments early as they can get busy especially towards late afternoon as tired skiers get back wanting a massage.

Mountain Tour
You can always take a trip up the mountain as a pedestrian (don’t forget your lift pass), a suggest route is :-
Take the Olympic Cable car up the mountain, walk across the top of the slope (flat walk of 100m) and go down the funicular underground train. At the bottom, walk across to the bubble and go up the bubble which takes you to the Folie Douce. Stop and have lunch / hot chocolate and watch the skiers come down. When you’re ready, head back down in the bubble and get the bus (Train Rouge) back to Val D’Isere.

Ice Driving
Every day by appointment or any time from 3pm to 8pm. Drive a brand new vehicle from the BMW range or a go Kart. They can also drive a piste basher and they have a driving simulator
Take the Train Rouge shuttle bus stop to “Cret”
+ 33 679 49 49 23

Snowmobile Trip
From Tommeuse chairlift, a unique way to discover the mountains!
+ 33 7 77 99 45 77

Microlight Trip
Usually from the top of the Olympic Cable Car
Philippe de Villenoisy +33 607 22 43 97

Helicopter Rides around the mountain
SAF Hélicoptère from the helipad in Le Daille
+33 479 41 93 49 or +33 608 93 25 58

Ice skating rink
Natural ice skating rink in the heart of the village. Also has a warm chalet and hot drinks.
Open every day from 2pm to 7pm and from 3pm to 8pm starting February.
+33 479 22 82 05

Walks
The Tourist Office will recommend several walks in and around Val d'Isere.
+33 479 06 06 60

Husky sleigh rides
Tarentaise Traîneau Mushing
+334 79 06 18 68 or +33 6 16 48 60 47

Ice climbing
Yves Astier
+33 607 78 52 44

Aqua Leisure Centre - Swim, play or just relax, there’s something for everyone
Beach world - Swimming pool, leisure pool with currents, water cannons, massage jets, paddling pool and more
Wellness world - wellness zone (sauna, steam bath, spa, hydro-massage)
Sports world - Climbing wall (200m² playground 12m high with 7 routes), 540 m² multi-sports hall for lovers of volleyball, indoor football, basketball, badminton and table tennis.
Exercise world - 320m² of weight training & fitness suites, 2 squash courts
Golf Simulator – take a tour of some of the world’s best golf courses

Cinema (some English sittings)
Main street
+33 479 06 03 43

Yoga
Charlotte St Jean
Groups in English and French.
+33 603 10 63 95

Pilates
In English and French
Sarah Sissons
+33 687 82 33 36

French patisserie classes
"Best French Pastrycook award" offers patisserie classes, where different baking techniques will be covered followed by a tasting session.
L'Adroit area
+33 479 06 16 09

Farm visit
Xavier will happily welcome you to his farm and show you around.
Cheese making, visit the farm, discover the animals.
+33 479 06 13 02
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy