Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good ski resort for beginners - with "guaranteed" snow and "pretty" resort

Poster: A snowHead
... and not too busy Very Happy

Hi all, the wife has instructed me to choose a ski holiday in February, which is great cos we haven't been on the snow for an age, but then she kind of threw me a curved ball as she has invited her friend (and her beau) to join us.

That in itself isn't a problem as they are lovely people, and the fact that they are beginners isn't a problem either, its just that I am now under pressure to produce the best ski holiday ever! Shocked

Actually, I'm not under pressure by anyone other than myself, but want to give them a great experience whilst making sure that we have a great time too.

Also we are limited in choice of resort as we are flying directly from the Isle of Man to Geneva with Inghams, so our options are Switzerland / France.

In terms of cost, we will probably be looking at a midrange hotels with a sauna and / or indoor pool (although a decent catered chalet would also be nice)? So a bit pricier on what we normally use, but as friends are coming with us we want to turn it into a holiday and not just skiing til we drop snowHead

In terms of a pretty beginners resort I am looking at Grindelwald? And me and the missus can try out a few of reds and hop over to Wengen now and then?

I was originally looking at something like Val Thorens, but I'm worried that it will be too busy and put them off, so somewhere not too busy with wide gentle blues for them to play on, and a few gentle reds / blacks for me and the missus.

We are thinking of heading out around the 21 Feb, mostly to keep the cost down, but also in the hope the slopes will be quieter?

and cheapish ale ....actually that one is my criteria ... just thought I'd throw it in Embarassed

as usual any help or suggestions will be greatly received snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
February is slap bang across the UK and French half term holidays, so very much doubt you will get quieter slopes if you head to France...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would also like to point out, Grindelwald isn't a pretty resort
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We are thinking of heading out around the 21 Feb, mostly to keep the cost down

does not compute. One of the priciest times of the year. To keep costs down avoid the main school holidays. In France that means avoiding the last three weeks in February and the first week in March.

There is no such thing as guaranteed snow, really. Yes, there are glaciers, but if the only snow is on a glacier you really wouldn't want to go there, especially with beginners. In the main season you shouldn't have much problem with snow and beginners need very little to get plenty out of their week - instructors will find snow.

If you could go, say, the last week in January or the second week of March options would be cheaper and slopes quieter - I do agree that very busy slopes can be off putting for beginners.

Beer in France is cheap if you buy it in a supermarket and expensive if you buy it in a bar. It's cheaper in Austria but that's not on your list. There are also more "pretty" resorts in Austria. France has some pretty resorts too, though Val Thorens isn't one of them.

For your friends, the quality of the ski school will be absolutely key. How sporty/fit are they?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
For your friends, the quality of the ski school will be absolutely key. How sporty/fit are they?
Agreed, and ease of access to the ski school meeting point. Rubbish lessons and a PITA route to the meeting point will put a dampner, at least, on every day of the holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Pam / Jo and Chris,

thanks for your input, in response to the questions that Pam raised.

they are both quite sporty (run half marathons and such), but beginners to this sport.

The price was based on the prices on inghams, and that week is as cheap as the last two weeks in January, obviously the second and third weeks in Feb are expensive or already full, so I hoped that the last week would be quieter.

I know there is no such thing as guaranteed snow, and pretty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, so these were a bit tongue in cheek, although the beer price is clearly deadly serious.

I'll speak to the missus tonight about the timing to see if we can go forwards or backwards and avoid Feb in France, or if not we will stick with Swizterland
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
pam w wrote:
Agreed, and ease of access to the ski school meeting point. Rubbish lessons and a PITA route to the meeting point will put a dampner, at least, on every day of the holiday.
any suggestions Rob?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sack the Juggler, first question - can you change your dates to sometime out of school holidays?
Second question - what's your budget?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sack the Juggler, Les Gets, but probably best to bring your trip forward to end Jan/beginning of Feb. Ski school with The Snow Institute or BASS. If you choose your accommodation carefully you can have good access to the slopes and be central in the village.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was going to suggest Les Gets too. There are plenty of SHs who know the resort very well and could advise on precise accommodation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Sack the Juggler, if it's not too probing a question what's the rough budget, less than 500pp, less than 1k, less than 1.5k or more?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hi all,

thanks for the great input! rough budget for flights and catered accommodation is approx. £700-800 pp (we want a sauna / pool if possible) then we have ski hire and lift passes on top - just checked inghams for Les Gets.... Sad but they ignore it in favour of Morzine / Avoriaz

also just checked Thomson Ski, who also fly from IOM but just to France, and they ignore Les Gets too.

Just having a quick look at Thomson, they have a nice chalet, chalet balcon 1, in belle plagne, anyone used this? and the ski school there?

dates - I'm sure I can move it back to 1st week in March
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
samoen? Great Village, restaurants, good beginners area at 1600, pretty much guaranteed snow. Beige et roc hotel with indoor pool, even if a bit small. Possible alternative, also part of the Grand massif.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

pretty much guaranteed snow

should be OK up there, but could be a different story down in Samoens village. People going for their first ski holiday might like to be able to look out of the window and see it right outside! On the other hand, it's more authentically attractive than a higher resort like Les Gets or Les Saisies (and I wouldn't recommend the latter because of the ski school situation). The proper traditional villages which have been there for hundreds of years, not just since the 1970s, weren't built up in the snowy mountains, but down in the sheltered valleys.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm sure I can move it back to 1st week in March

still French school holidays - the second week would be better.

Does your location rule out travelling independently, just getting flights and sorting out your own accommodation?
snow report
Hi Pam,

good point 7 March it is Very Happy

we could probably travel independently if it was just me and the missus, we usually do if we are skiing in Sweden for example, but with our friends along its easier with transfers if we do it through a travel company - they block book the seats also so not sure if we could do it as cheaply, so for ease of travel we will be using a tour operator.
snow report
Flybe do IOM to Geneva and times are pretty good for the week 7-14 March the base fare is £175. I'd think about Pam's suggestion of something DIY.
latest report
Quote:

with our friends along its easier with transfers if we do it through a travel company

actually, with four of you, it would be very cost-effective to rent a car.
snow conditions
tarrantd wrote:
Flybe do IOM to Geneva and times are pretty good for the week 7-14 March the base fare is £175. I'd think about Pam's suggestion of something DIY.
hi tarrant, can you show me a screen shot of that please? When I tried this afternoon it was £264 including baggage, now it's £274, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my price was without insurance, without choosing seats, etc?

Really interested to see how you are doing it £100 cheaper pp
snow conditions
@Sack the Juggler, +1 for Les Gets. great place for beginners and more experienced skiers. Good ski schools. Great value ski pass (Les Gets/Morzine, rather than the whole pds) get it early they tend to have a discount also. Mont Chery is fantastic and quiet. Lovely little village with some nice bars and good restaurants. Beer not too expensive. Really easy transfer, just 1 hr from GVA, so not too pricey to get a private transfer (search forums here loads on transfer companies) excellent snow making, really wouldnt be worried about snow conditions. You may have to DIY a bit, but not too difficult.
ski holidays
might be worth mentioning that Les Gets is a really easy drive - not lots of hairpin bends etc.
ski holidays
really limited with flying from IOM and certainly TO choices are not in the prettier resorts and as they are all in France you can forget a cheap beer. 8 euros for 500 ml glass of french made kronenburg. Not sure of logistics but if easy to do i would consider driving to Austria. prettier resorts and cheaper beer. If france then do catered chalet and you can drink the free wine and have your own supermarket bought beers and maybe venture out a couple of nights.
snow conditions
Quote:

8 euros for 500 ml glass of french made kronenburg

More like 5 euros in my local. A bit more for the better beers. wink
snow report
pam next time i decide to come to France i need to drink in your local as my experience of L2A and Montgenevre was 8 euros. L2A was 5.50 in happy hours between 1700-1800 in certain pubs
latest report
Sack the Juggler wrote:

Just having a quick look at Thomson, they have a nice chalet, chalet balcon 1, in belle plagne, anyone used this? and the ski school there?

Not stayed there, but very close - the apartment complex looked very smart and is piste side. The blue run down to Bellecotte is wide and not overly taxing, although it does get chopped up towards the latter part of the afternoon, being a main thoroughfare.

The run drops down to the Arpette chair which accesses quite a lot of benign blue runs that drop back to Belle Plagne - a great area to learn on, I would say, without travelling too far.

BP centre is a good 6-7 minute walk, although one can ski round to that area along a wide and gentle "road" that passes the higher section of BP (the "road" requires a short, gentle uphill pole/walk to begin with, from the Chalet Balcon apartments, IIRC).
snow conditions
Used the pool at Chalet Balcon a couple of times, nice enough rooms but quite small - like most of BP. Beginners will probably find the piste directly outside the chalet a little intimidating, but as mentioned above you can always take the green from the back door.

I like La Plagne and BP is my favourite village, just checked the Crystal site and it seems good value as well.
latest report
Sack the Juggler wrote:
When I tried this afternoon it was £264 including baggage, now it's £274, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, ?

Try clearing the cache/cookies on your computer before revisiting as some travel & airline websites increase the cost the more often you look
snow report
I'm not sure if Inghams cover the area, but Valloire/Valmeinier might be a good shout. Although it's also a fair trek co from Geneva. They're relatively pretty with enough going on to keep people busy in the evenings (especially Valloire which is a bit bigger than Valmeinier). Beer prices on the slopes were reasonable, in town too. Although I made the mistake of asking for a pint of Galibier beer, the bar maid warned me it would be an eye watering €12, but I got the nod from the OH/FD. I made that one last a while.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like Valloire but I suspect it won't offer really good options for ski school.
ski holidays
It seemed predominantly ESF when we were there @pam w, which obviously a lot of people don't like. We've only had Jnr complain about a rather brusk (relatively) elderly female instructor he had for a day out of about 20 or so days we've used them between us.
ski holidays
I don't know Chalet Balcon, but we did our second ski trip to Belle Plagne in mid Dec last year, and am planning on revisiting this year. A good variety of wide blue runs on which to practice and gain confidence.

Can highly recommend Oxygen Ski School in BP. Great guys and they really bought our skiing and confidence on and we will be using them again this year (Dec snow permitting etc.)

I can't comment on the variety of the more challenging runs at the moment, but will hopefully be in a position to do so later in the year. Toofy Grin
snow report
Good recommendation, newby +1 for Oxygene.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 14-11-14 15:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Sack the Juggler, You mentioned you might consider Grindelwald and then pop over to Wengen from time to time. Have you considered staying in Wengen. It's really pretty and there are hotels that Inghams goes to that should fit your budget. Getting the train up the mountain is always special.
snow conditions
Why not have a look at La Clusaz? It's a traditional French resort with some good greens for beginners to practise on and only one hour from Geneva. You can also ski in Le Grand Bornand which is a short ride a away on the free bus. The Hotel Chalet Alpage (www.chalet-alpage.com) is lovely and should fit the bill. Not the cheapest place for beers though, although the small bar/restaurant on the slopes across the road from hotel is very reasonably priced.
snow report
La Clusaz is unlikely to offer small groups with an English-speaking (proper English speaking.....) instructor, as is Les Saisies which would otherwise be good, and a lot more convenient (La Clusaz, nice place, but sprawly). Getting the complete beginners into top quality ski lessons, with a guaranteed small group might make or break this holiday. An ESF group of 12, of which they are the only Anglophones, might be OK. But it might not......
snow report
Hi Guys and gals, thanks for all the suggestions and comments, so far I'm drawn to chalet balcon at Belle Plagne and using Oxygen ski school - just checking through Thomson now Smile
ski holidays
Check Crystal too....oddly cheaper on their offering (only cursory look, though).
snow conditions
Incidentally, Euan Gardiner (sp?) at Oxygene may well be worth looking at. He's been recommended several times by various posters here.
snow report
Holiday booked and Euan Gardiner booked by the said beginners! snowHead
snow report
Excellent snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy