Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked a few times before, but I couldn't see anything on a quick search so apologies if this is a duplicate topic.

Basically I have worldwide travel insurance for myself/family via our main current account. The terms/conditions seem pretty reasonable, and winter sports ARE included, however it specifically excludes off piste. I mainly board/ski at home here in Scotland but have a couple of trips coming up (US and Europe). Now I'm not planning on heli-boarding/skiing or doing anything crazy, but I do like to head off piste from time to time when the conditions are good. In Scotland at Glenshee/Glencoe/Cairngorm I'm rarely on piste...

So I'm wondering given I dont want to tempt fate with insurance cover what my options are? Ideally I dont want to buy specific insurance for a year that covers off piste on top of the one I'm already paying for. Can I get insurance sorted in resort (noticed the PdS where I'm headed in Feb has an insurance option on the ski tickect), or some other way to "Top up" what I have? If so is the cover good? Wouldnt want to get caught short in the event of a mishap.

Any help appreciated.

cheers
M
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munter, either of these should sort you without a hitch:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2598517
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Can I get insurance sorted in resort (noticed the PdS where I'm headed in Feb has an insurance option on the ski tickect), or some other way to "Top up" what I have?

For France you can use Carre Neige bought, as you mention above, at a lift pass office. http://www.carreneige.com/en/

The US is a different ball game because as I understand you either "in bounds" or not as opposed to simply on piste or off piste. So provided you went off piste "in bounds" you wouldn't need extra insurance. I've never skied in the US but I believe that is the situation. I am sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I'll need to check with my current insurers to get their definition of off-piste for the US. My hunch is that it could well be out of bounds of the ski-area irregardless of location, in which case the French trip would be sorted as well.

If not it looks like Carre Neige will do the trick for the French trip. The exclusions list doesnt mention off-piste so it seems that's ok and covered.

Would be good to get confirmation from someone that has claimed for an off piste accident/injury via Carre Neige.

M
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munter, the insurance you buy with your lift pass will get you off the mountain with no questions asked - and it's cheap. It also prevents your skis being held as a hostage till you, your insurers or your friends and relatives have paid the rescue bill. However, don't assume that if you have an accident off piste, when you are not covered by your UK insurance, and get yourself taken to the local (almost invariably private in a ski resort) health facility that your "normal" travel insurance will take it all on from there. It won't, if they know the background. And neither will your EHIC card, in a private facility.

Why not change your annual insurance to one which does cover off piste? For example MPI brokers - there's been a fair bit of discussion about them recently and many good experiences (including my own).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also, don't assume that there is any European equivalent of the US "out of bounds" definition. I don't think there is. You are either on a marked and open piste or you are off piste, even if just between pistes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy