Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

salomon x max 100 vs x pro 100 boots

Poster: A snowHead
Find my self with options to get either of these boots and wondering main difference. Is x max more race and pro more comfort?

Tried lots of boots and narrowed it down to these and in short the x max are a tighter fit were as the x pro feel roomier in a comfortable way with more padded liner. I'm thinking tighter would be better for control of skis plus in my experience the boot will loosen up over time.

I've skiied about 9 weeks over 10 years now and getting more into the powdery stuff last few years but also enjoy the pistes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lift faffer, the assumptions about the fit are correct, the max is lower volume, tighter, narrower... the pro is a much more roomy boot

speak with your boot fitter, but my money is that if you can wear the max then that is the one to go for
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can, only thing to fix is instep which after heat moulding is still too tight. I could've gone up half size in liner but it seemed a bit too comfortable which I thought would loosen too much after a few days.

I'm 8.5 medium last and instep but narrow heel and 26 seems best balance of comfort and grip. Fitters advice was go with tighter boot as can work with that more than a looser trainer comfy fit.

So would you say max is better performance wise on and off piste?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can, only thing to fix is instep which after heat moulding is still too tight. I could've gone up half size in liner but it seemed a bit too comfortable which I thought would loosen too much after a few days.

I'm 8.5 medium last and instep but narrow heel and 26 seems best balance of comfort and grip. Fitters advice was go with tighter boot as can work with that more than a looser trainer comfy fit.

So would you say max is better performance wise on and off piste?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go with the comfiest boot. If it's too tight then it'll be uncomfortable and you won't get the performance out of it. They are pretty similar! There'll be more variance in the skis you get/use to yield better performance on/off piste...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
srogers13, thing is, they are not similar, there is a massive difference in volume between the two

Lift faffer, was the boot heat molded with a good footbed in side AND some padding over the instep to create a little bit of space? both boots will perform just fine it is more a matter of fit around YOUR foot
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM wrote:
srogers13, thing is, they are not similar, there is a massive difference in volume between the two

I was just repeating what I had been told by the boot fitter when I chose the X Pro's. Surely he should be picking the boot that is comfiest so if the Max's are too tight then avoid them?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lift faffer, I have a pair of the Max boots (which I got from CEM) and first 2-3 days were v uncomfy, just as Colin said they'd be. But after a few days they became a nice n snug fit, just as he also said. During the fitting he did pop some padding on the areas that were initially sore from the test and that worked well. I'm prob at a similar level to you re exploring some off piste and all that - alas the cause of ongoing wipe-outs, fails, bails and misc incompetence can no longer be attributed to crap boots wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I have a pair of the Max boots (which I got from CEM) and first 2-3 days were v uncomfy, just as Colin said they'd be. But after a few days they became a nice n snug fit, just as he also said

+1, found that a few hikes soon had them bedded in too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM they were heat moulded with sidas footbeds and heel lift (I think). Didn't have any padding added but was thinking taking a few mm out of footbed might sink the instep enough? It's only the one foot that's now tight, under the 2nd buckle.

Was done at snow and rock against mixed feelings. Frustratingly a few weeks later I found myself passing through bicester ish area but from London to Wales and back with no time or boots for that matter.

Bones that sounds promising, and kind of what I was thinking. I'm use to airwalks which are very roomy and after a hike and powder run boots seem to grow a size
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is width the only difference between the X Max and X Pro? I plan to replace my boots this season and I've narrowed the choice to these, but I'm unsure about which flex to go for. I'm 6' 4'' tall, fifteen stone and an advanced (but not expert) skier, mainly on piste. How do I choose between 100, 110 or 120 flex? At this stage in the pre-season I feel (perhaps unfairly) that every shop is trying to sell me what they already have in stock before this year's stuff arrives. Any clues as to how I choose?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnbarr, find yourself a good boot fitter. There must be one in your neck of Austria. Boot fitter selects boots based on your requirements.

She/he won't have every boot in the world in stock, so will indeed recommend one from the range they have in stock.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnbarr, re. The flex be aware that these boots seem to be on the softer side. I got the womens xmax 90 and they are too soft for me and I've ordered the 110. A guy I know has the 120, he finds them softer than his old boots. So if in doubt go stiffer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sarah Wow - is 120 flex really soft? I thought it was the last stop before the 130's that the pros use.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnbarr, I think the current "stiffest" is 160, not 130. It appeared to be so last season.
ski holidays
@under a new name Hmmm. I can't find anything stiffer than 130 on the Salomon or Atomic web sites. Can you point me at a Salomon boot stiffer than 130? Thanks.
snow report
@johnbarr, I didn't say it was really soft. I don't know, they were his boots not mine. I chose a 90 and was surprised that it was too soft for me. He feels the 120 is softer than his old boots. So what I was saying is that if you are undecided between flexes on this boot go stiffer not softer. A good fitter will help you choose and of course this boot might not be the right boot for your foot.
snow report
@johnbarr, you won't find them on the website as they are not consumer boots, the lab from salomon is available (via certain shops) in 140 flex, Atomic make a redster world cup in 160 lifted and 170 lifted (the lifted has a 5mm "fat" soles)
snow conditions
Oh and another thing with this boot, go smaller too!!

Now this is why you need a good fitter. I bought these boots in haste and not from a good fitter Sad hence too soft and possibly too big.
snow conditions
Atomic now running to 170 Shocked http://www.atomic.com/fr-CH/Products/Alpine/Boots/Race/REDSTER_WC_170_LIFTED/AE5011400.aspx?filter=

Nordica still on 150 http://www.nordica.com/france/products/dobermann-wc-edt-150/ like I had 7 years ago

Salomon X-Lab Medium last year was 140 and there was a "Hard" version which was stiffer.
latest report
@under a new name @sarah @CEM Thanks for the insights - I'll stop looking for boots and start looking for a boot fitter. Smile
snow report
@johnbarr, one option in Austria might be to look at the Strolz system? But a good fitter ought to get you to the same place, just from a different direction and probably at less cost.
snow report
@johnbarr, not sure how far you are from Kaprun, but if anywhere close then best fitter in the area is Fabian Stieple at the intersport Brundle store there
ski holidays
@CEM Thanks for the suggestion, I'm in St Johann, about an hour from Kaprun. I'll ask around locally and hope to find a good fitter in the St Johann, Kitzbuhel, Ellmau area so if the boots need minor tweaks it's only a 10 minute drive.
ski holidays
@johnbarr,

based on my previous mistakes I'd urge you to narrow down your choice of boot fitter and let him choose which model rather than identify a model and find a boot fitter in a shop that stocks it. If you see what I mean. Some shops will be very happy to sell you what you say you want rather than work out what you really need. To be avoided.
snow report
@jedster, +1

I'd try this new fangled "Googol" thing. I think it's a "search engine" - a bit like a steam engine but not so vaporous. You might find some hits with "boot fitting kitzbühel".

Maybe.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Atomic now running to 170 Shocked http://www.atomic.com/fr-CH/Products/Alpine/Boots/Race/REDSTER_WC_170_LIFTED/AE5011400.aspx?filter=

Nordica still on 150 http://www.nordica.com/france/products/dobermann-wc-edt-150/ like I had 7 years ago

Salomon X-Lab Medium last year was 140 and there was a "Hard" version which was stiffer.

Speaking to the Rossi guys at the ski show the Rossi radical will now run to 180 ( does that mean your bones will flex more than the boot Puzzled Shocked )
snow conditions
@speed098, I think their marketing folks must have been at the Brewdog http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/the-battle-to-brew-the-worlds-strongest-ever-beer
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Speaking to the Rossi guys at the ski show the Rossi radical will now run to 180"

Surely it's a case of "yeah but this one goes to 11"
snow report
Sound like it to me @jedster,
ski holidays
@johnbarr, good luck finding one, the guy i mentioned is an ex world cup technician for tecnica so will probably trump most of what you will find locally
snow report
@CEM, I skied Kaprun this morning and visited Fabian at Intersport Brundle afterwards. After a comprehensive fitting session I bought 120 flex Fischer boots that are a full size smaller than my old boots, but fit perfectly (at least in the shop). Thanks for your advice!
ski holidays
@johnbarr, good to here, hope you have a great season in them, you know where he is if you need adjustments, give em a few days to settle down before you get anything done though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy