Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aviemore - where to stay, getting to the slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone, i'm looking for some advice on good places to stay in/around Aviemore. I am part of a group consisting of three families - 6 adults & 5 children looking to go up to Aviemore for a weekends skiing.

I'm also after some advice on the ease of getting from Aviemore to the slopes particularly if there are better places to stay. Ideally looking for a nice lodge/self catering.

Any advice is much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aviemore is the best base for Cairngorm Mountain. Getting to the slopes is about a 15 minute drive, and there's also a (non-free) bus (hourly I think). I can't advise where specifically in Aviemore to stay, but it's not a big place.

If Cairngorm Mountain is closed due to bad weather or very busy, you can also drive to The Lecht or Nevis Range, which aren't too far away. The Lecht is more sheltered from the wind, and both are usually quieter than Cairngorm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keeping the kids entertained if there is no skiing is a challenge, we used to stay at the Hilton, Coylumbridge situated on the ski road when the kids were younger. Its got play area and pool and the bus stops at the end of the drive if you dont fancy using the car to get up the hill. They have some really nice lodges which are actually timeshare but are also rented per week as well.

Macdonald hotels also have a couple of properties in the center, the Highland Resort has all family rooms and a play area. They also have lodges available.

As mentioned you can use the bus to get up the hill, but I find it easier with a car, it also means you can head to another centre if Cairngorm is shut. I dont know how old the kids are, but when mine were very young I preferred the Lecht, the nursery slopes are a little more sheltered and at the bottom of the hill. Cairngorm is fantastic skiing, but I will always remember the site of my 3 year old being blown back up the hill on the learners plateau at the top Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 10-11-14 14:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
always difficult to book a weekend when you know skiing is going to be available at cairngorm. we went up last year for weekend with kids and the wind shut the place for three days on the trot so we relocated over to Glenshee where we got one horrific day and one reasonable day. If there are a big group of you try rothiemurches lodge which is owned by the MOD. It is located up a track near to Loch Morlich and is very reasonable although basic. you can get a lodge there to yourself and will have a lounge to yourselves at night where you can have a drink watch tv etc. Not the ritz but a good option.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone, will be our first trip up to Scotland so not sure what to expect.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As @landlockedpirate, said the Hilton at Coylumbridge is on the ski road and a good place to stay but another possible place is High Range http://www.highrange.co.uk, I haven't stayed there myself but a relative did and liked it also it is at the junction of the ski road. What to expect well that could be anything from sunshine and great snow to 100mph winds blowing the snow off the hill, when are you planning to go as March can often be the better month. When it's good weather with good snow expect it to be busy as everyone decides to go skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pmercer We have stayed in a rented house the last couple of years booked through http://www.silvergladesaviemore.co.uk/

The properties are within walking distance of the town and whilst fairly basic are perfectly adequate. The nursery slopes at Cairngorm are at the top of the mountain and are very open to the elements. If it's windy (which it frequently is) then it's about an hours drive to the Lecht which is much more sheltered, but a lot smaller.

I wouldn't fancy relying on the bus to take me up to the funicular at Cairngorm - car is the best bet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have stayed a couple of times at the Coylumbridge but after a minor falling out with them we tried somewhere completely different - The Ravenscraig Guest House. It has great rooms and a very nice breakfast.

If it is self catering you need then try http://www.pinebankchalets.co.uk . They are at the southern end of Aviemore but you can walk to the bars and restaurants in 10 mins.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stayed at the High Range in 1986. We were students. I have no idea who I was or what it was like.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aviemore is definitely the most resort like of the Scottish ski centres so I think it's a good choice for families, there was a group of Snowheads who went for a weekend a few years ago, none of them regular Scottish skiers so it might be worth trying to dig up that thread for tips. When are you planning to go? Aviemore does get very busy during some of the school holidays and the first weekend there is snow in the Central belt. I usually prefer spring skiing in Scotland as it is quieter, a bit warmer, lighter nights and more chance of corn/slush rather than ice, March and April are often great, possibly less chance of the wind stopping skiing as well.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286

I think this is the thread lynseyf is referring to. I believe a smaller group of snowHeads went on a similar trip the year after.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, High Range was rebuilt a few years ago so very different now, I had forgotten about Pinebank chalets @Gaza,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pmercer, I stayed with some friends at High Range last spring. The chalets are well equipped and there is an excellent pizzeria on site. Recommended. www.highrange.co.uk
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pmercer As has been covered lots on Snowheads, you cannot guarantee that any Scottish ski area will be operational if you book in advance. The big issue is the wind - the slopes can be stormbound/shut for days.

In a nutshell - when the weather plays ball it can be fantastic. There's just something good about skiing in the UK! Advice would be to not book until a couple of days before - ie once the weather looks favourable.

On a further cautionary note: Cairngorm queues - especially for tickets, the funicular train & kit hire can be truly horrific. You can hire kit on the road to the slopes & can buy tickets en route too (at the shop at Glenmore, a few miles before the slopes).

If you book late you will always get digs on Hotels.com or similar - & can stay in surrounding villages (near Aviemore) like Newtonmore or Kingussie if needs be.

The other areas don't tend to be quite as busy - though Glenshee can suffer from full car parks and queues...Nevis Range in particular just never gets all that busy and Ft William is a decent town for accommodation, food & drink.

Or you could always stay somewhere like Perth en route to the slopes (cheap Travelodges available) which means you can hedge your bets weather & conditions wise & then drive to wherever has best snow/weather. From there, Glenshee is about an hour & the other centres 75 mins to an hour & three quarters. Do-able if you then stay near the skiing on your second night.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountainaddict wrote:
@pmercer As has been covered lots on Snowheads, you cannot guarantee that any Scottish ski area will be operational if you book in advance. The big issue is the wind - the slopes can be stormbound/shut for days.

In a nutshell - when the weather plays ball it can be fantastic. There's just something good about skiing in the UK! Advice would be to not book until a couple of days before - ie once the weather looks favourable.

The problem last winter was too much wind and too much snow. When it was pissing down over the rest of the UK it was falling as snow in Cairngorm and Glenshee. I skied with my 6 year old in very marginal conditions in late January. When we got out at the top station it was a whiteout. My son put his skis on and was literally blown backwards. It did improve a bit as the day went on.

One of the big issues they have now is car parking. When the main car park is full they have to bus people up from the Ciste car park. At times this leads to huge waits. There is an active campaign to reinstate the Coire na Ciste chair and ticket office. http://savetheciste.com/campaign/save-the-ciste-e-petition/

@pmercer, wherever you stay in Aviemore you are unlikely to be more than 15 minutes from the Cas car park. My suggestion would be to get up there as early as possible and avoid the queues at the ticket office and funicular.
ski holidays
My advice - book cheap flights to the alps! We live in the north of England but it still took a lifetime to drive up to Avemore once there the snow was rubbish, lifts out of the arc, runs short and wait times long. The village itself is nothing to compare to an alpine resort, perhaps I am being a bit harsh but when you compare to a 2hr flight to Geneva for £30 with guaranteed snow an hours drive away there is some thinking to be done.
snow report
globalbagtag.com wrote:
My advice - book cheap flights to the alps! We live in the north of England but it still took a lifetime to drive up to Avemore once there the snow was rubbish, lifts out of the arc, runs short and wait times long. The village itself is nothing to compare to an alpine resort, perhaps I am being a bit harsh but when you compare to a 2hr flight to Geneva for £30 with guaranteed snow an hours drive away there is some thinking to be done.

I doubt very much if you could find flights at a weekend to GVA for £30, although you might be lucky if you booked the day they were released. Once you get to GVA there is the cost of transfers or hire cars and then accommodation, lift passes, etc.

While skiing in Scotland cannot be compared to the Alps it is certainly better than a dry slope or 'big freezer'. If you go with an open mind and keep an eye on the long range forecast you can have some good skiing.
ski holidays
Scotland is somewhere to ski when snow and conditions are good. Then it can be great (though of course more limited than most Alpine areas).
Some good off piste too, if you know where to go:
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy