Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ten 'must ski' experiences in the US

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here are ten exceptional ski experiences - some of them distinctly 'off-budget'! - for US ski enthusiasts.

The article is by Larry Olmstead for USA Today.

The 'Ski Utah Interconnect Adventure Tour' - 6 ski areas linked by 'in-bounds' and 'out-bounds' trails - sounds fun. Anyone tried it? It's claimed to be the only European-style inter-resort skiing available in the States.
Quote:
This adventure guarantees great skiing, incredible views and a day you won't soon forget. The tours operate daily from early December through late April, weather and conditions permitting, are led by professional backcountry guides and are open to advanced skiers in good physical condition. $150 per person includes guide service, lift access, lunch, transportation back to point of origin and a special-edition finisher's pin. "This is the perfect way for skiers who may not have the skills or knowledge to venture out of bounds on their own to have an incredible backcountry experience," said lead guide Rod Keller.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a load of rubbish - sub Metro standard journalism plugging high end hotels for the most part or resorts' new terrain or offerrings.

Tuckerman's & possibly Corbett's & Silverton(though it is debatable - they do offer something different from the norm) may justify a place on the list but everything else is just PR
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, yup.

But, David Goldsmith, we have acquired some Utah Interconnect "passes" which we'll have to use up on our trip in March. Personally, I suspect they'll be too tame, but they were bought at charity auction so we'll see. Depends on how good the guide is. Certainly the terrain has quite challenging possibilities. If it's just a US version of, say, the "PDS circuit", we'll be well disappointed.

On the other hand, if we get to ski stuff we wouldn't find ourselves it'll be well worth it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This question deserves much more serious thought, but here's a quick and dirty personal take on US "must ski" experiences:
-Go to Alta, Utah and spend a week in one of their small, slopeside lodges during powder season. Some will get claustrophobic, others will die of ecstasy.
-Go to Aspen, Colorado and mingle with the rich and famous in high season. It's American conspicuous consumption at it finest, plus there is some great skiing.
-Go to Vail, Colorado and ditto above, except less celebs and more corporate bigwigs.
-Go to Mammoth, California and experience fine skiing/boarding while immersing yourself in laid back surfer dude & dudette subculture, combine with side trip to ski around beautiful Lake Tahoe.
-oops ran out of American must skis, go to Banff for a dose of North America's best mountain scenery, then head to the Alps for a few dozen truly must ski experiences.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Surely Alaska is the only "must ski" but your timing regards weather would have to be spot on. Most all the heart-stopping stuff is in Europe. Now, if there was a "must sue" that would be different.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A sensational punch-line, John.

So, which would you rate as the ten 'must sue' ski areas in the US?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lucky33, I have to add the Front Four at Stowe, Vermont (The four trails named National, Liftline, Starr and Goat), and of course Mad River Glen in Vermont.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, yes, it'll be too tame. You'd be better to give the passes to me and spyderjon, cause we'll enjoy and appreciate them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lucky33, I'd add in Winter Park (particularly Vasquez Cirque and Outhouse), but yes, skiing is far better in Europe.
People shouldn't go to the US/Canada to ski, and must ski in Europe.
Please.
Particularly at the end of January, nobody should go to Utah to ski the fresh deep powder, cause it's no good. And don't bother going to Utah in the first week in Feb either, cause it's still more of the same... snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Indeed. Please stay in Europe and enjoy pushing and shoving in the lift lines. I so miss having my skis trampled on, and my elbows are missing the lack of use.

When I get my free tea/coffee/hot chocolate in the lift line in North America, I just give it back. After all, if you're not being fleeced for 20Euros for a cheap burger, it's not the same.

I do miss the Basil Fawlty Customer service. Having your expectations met and occasionally exceeded is just wrong. After all, we're Brits, and we just like moaning at the quality of the food, the accommodation etc.

As for skiing off piste withing a ski boundary area - where's the fun and danger in that? Much better to do it in Europe, the adrenelin rush is much higher.

I hate this deep and steep stuff. What on earth is the attraction? There's too much of it.

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight,

Eating in the US is a real treat..!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

20Euros for a cheap burger
What mug would order a burger in a nice European mountain restaurant. Ah yes, of course rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy