Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Russians in the Alps: big decline predicted

Poster: A snowHead
foxtrotzulu wrote:
inherently I think they are usually preferable to the Brits who can be absolutely ghastly.

Brits abroad eh? It is pretty tiresome in the alps I agree, all those middle-class Home Counties families standing in line waiting for lifts and not raising their voices when someone pushes in front. Bloody embarrassing when they say 'thank you' and 'please' to the shop staff five times during every simple transaction too, and I've lost count of the number of times I've considered sending my passport back when I see a family refusing to make a fuss when they're ignored by the waiters or their food is served cold. Worst of all, not a single one of them seems to bring their own troupe of prostitutes with them and they don't even demand the female chalet staff serve dinner naked. Frankly, I pretend to be Dutch these days.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only two Russians I have met recently were both beautiful and charming. One was in a week's Italian lessons I did in Genoa and the other, also living in Genoa, had two excellent degrees in Economics and spoke Russian, English and Italian - all well.
Quote:

I must confess that i intially said i'm not going to france for a while in protest at what's been going on ...but then a package deal has come up flyin out of manchester on the 7th december thats is really tempting..

the high price of principles too much for you, yorkshirelad? Laughing

pedantica Do educated Russians still speak French? My son struggled with his Courchevel family last New Year because they spoke no French or German, both of which he can manage a bit. They had to do "google translate" to sort out what they wanted to eat and tell him who would be in for lunch and dinner.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But they did leave behind a fair bit of the caviar they'd brought with them from Russia.... and gave him a generous tip Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@albinomountainbadger, Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:

Do educated Russians still speak French?

No, communism put an end to that lovely tradition. Now they hardly speak any language other than Russian Skullie
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Quote:

Shocking lot, the Russians.

I disagree. The vast majority of Russians I meet and work with in Moscow are great. Immaculate manners. Polite, cultured, educated, charming etc. I'm not sure if the Alps just seems to attract the wrong crowd but inherently I think they are usually preferable to the Brits who can be absolutely ghastly.

Most Russians I've met have a well balanced attitude - they have a chip on both shoulders!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@oleksii, my mother went to some posh-sounding primary school in Petersburg, and there they spoke only in French one full day a week. That was, however, pre-Revolution.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, I think you may have missed the winking smiley.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going by the fee-paying school population of the 3Valleys and its inability to converse in anything but English, I'm guessing standards have slipped in the UK too. Less communist influence perhaps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Pedantica,
Quote:

@foxtrotzulu, I think you may have missed the winking smiley.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Yes, missed it entirely.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yorkshirelad wrote:
I'm guessing if there's a drop in Reds going to France, the french will then struggle with a few empty rooms..wonder if the number of UK lot not going because of the ESF's shinanigans will make some difference as well

Despite press coverage, I suspect few skiers will actually realise there is anything going on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
yorkshirelad wrote:
I'm guessing if there's a drop in Reds going to France, the french will then struggle with a few empty rooms..wonder if the number of UK lot not going because of the ESF's shinanigans will make some difference as well

Despite press coverage, I suspect few skiers will actually realise there is anything going on.

Agreed. Even if they do, can you actually imagine anyone saying "Ski hosting is so important to me that I won't go skiing this year"?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@foxtrotzulu, yes agreed. Ski hosting can't be the main reason why someone would go to France?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ski hosting can't be the main reason why someone would go to France?

I think ski hosting PLUS the "catered chalet" formula is what takes quite a few people to France. The choice of catered chalets outside France is small. France has everything from super top ridiculous luxury down to cheap and cheerful "gallons of plonk" establishments. If I didn't have my own apartment (which means I get to do transfer driving, cooking AND ski hosting, all unpaid) I'd often choose a catered chalet. But that formula is also under threat, as it is in Italy and Switzerland, because it often contravenes local labour law, using cheap immigrant labour.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've done a couple of catered chalets, but only once used the ski hosting service.
snow conditions
We gave up on skiing in France years ago - got fed up with smelly and loud Russians with their hookers, the obnoxious Brit hooray Henrys, badly maintained infrastructure, and being generally being ripped off.
snow report
Courchevel booked in Jan. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@thecramps, have a good trip. Obviously you will not see @irie, there
snow report
Quote:

got fed up with smelly and loud Russians with their hookers, the obnoxious Brit hooray Henrys

obviously not going to Serre Chevalier then. Our Russians are a forty something couple staying with us for the 4th or 5th year in a row, Another Russian party I have seen was a group of 10 or so middle-aged men, drinking tea at 11 in the morning. My friend has a regular family visiting each winter who are planning to buy one of the apartments.
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
inherently I think they are usually preferable to the Brits who can be absolutely ghastly.

Brits abroad eh? It is pretty tiresome in the alps I agree, all those middle-class Home Counties families standing in line waiting for lifts and not raising their voices when someone pushes in front. Bloody embarrassing when they say 'thank you' and 'please' to the shop staff five times during every simple transaction too, and I've lost count of the number of times I've considered sending my passport back when I see a family refusing to make a fuss when they're ignored by the waiters or their food is served cold. Worst of all, not a single one of them seems to bring their own troupe of prostitutes with them and they don't even demand the female chalet staff serve dinner naked. Frankly, I pretend to be Dutch these days.

Actually I'm not at all sure about this description of Middle England / Middle Class / English Home Counties manners. My wife and I - both born and raised in the South (Worthing and Hampstead) are both now honorary Northerners / Scousers (horror). We find the manners, behaviour and politeness of our very poor adoptive city to be far superior to the South (something like 10% of Liverpool is in the bottom 1% nationally of multiple deprivation). People queue, do not push in, help women (or men) with buggies and toddlers and pleasantly pass the time of day. We are both quietly shocked at places like the Hay Festival- where there is a lot of what we call "Middle Class pushing in". Quite brazen and entitled stepping over, past , into- usually whilst being loud in speech and dress (this includes extremely loud behaviour at one of the Hay Festival campsites two nights in a row until 4.30am). Sorry for the double quote and no- no one has nicked my hub caps at the lights...
latest report
@chrisb Nope, no more.

Used to go to Courchevel 1850 but voted with our feet when the Cyrillic signage went up, the brothel opened, and certain clubs/bars became used for money laundering.
snow report
@ed123, in all honestly I don't think I've ever been in the Home Counties, I'm not even sure what they are, but I always got the impression they had something of a monopoly on skiers so just borrowed them for the joke.

However, I did spend twenty years up north and recall once hearing a busker opposite Central in Liverpool effing and blinding after some kids stole his cap of change; apparently it was the second time that day.

Personally, I had the valve caps stolen from my alloys while attending a computer fair in Aintree - I can't imagine my Volvo was the most desirable thing in the car park but maybe they were just avid collectors.

@thecramps, I was in Meribel during the third week of Jan this season gone and struggled to see anyone on the slopes. The only busy place was the top of Saulire where Meribel and Courchevel meet (and admittedly it was chaotically busy each day), as all the Russians come over to the Folie Douce below there now. I think if you stay away from that bit you'll have a very peaceful time. If you're there early Jan it's probably a different matter sadly.
snow report
Quote:

Used to go to Courchevel 1850

you equate Courchevel 1850 with "France", irie? Laughing What about the other couple of hundred resorts? That's like saying "I wrote off Austria after being disgusted by the drunken behaviour of so many skiers in St Anton and having to pay far too much to rent a pair of skis".
snow conditions
I personally find the most irritating and obnoxious tourists, are the ones that allow their dogs to pooh in the snow and look dumbfounded/outraged at being told to pick it up.
ski holidays
@albino- for sure I'm not saying all Scousers are saints. But the manners of the English Middle Class aren't all they seem / that seemly.
snow report
ed123 wrote:
@albino- for sure I'm not saying all Scousers are saints. But the manners of the English Middle Class aren't all they seem / that seemly.

Absolutely, just having a jibe. Worse things have happened to me in other places than losing some valve caps.
snow conditions
@irie, we're off to 1650, and as we don't do much apres, won't be going to clubs, and have no need of brothels I think we will be fine. Not sure what the problem with Cyrillic is, but each to his or her own.
snow conditions
no different to having things in English is it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Waffle wrote:
I personally find the most irritating and obnoxious tourists, are the ones that allow their dogs to pooh in the snow and look dumbfounded/outraged at being told to pick it up.

x1000. From an owner of two to boot. Exclamation

Over in Sweden it's the more pressing matter of blinkin' Russians, invading our airspace and archipelagoes in subs... but as I understand it they also make it to Åre to do a bit of skiing. Haven't had many run-ins with 'em and the ones I occasionally cross paths with at work are gents with a decent sense of humour to boot.

+1 one for it being politer oop norf, from a native Southerner as well.
snow report
@ed123,
Quote:

(something like 10% of Liverpool is in the bottom 1% nationally of multiple deprivation)

I didn't know that. Having visited Toxteth, Croxteth etc. I would have thought they also have 10% of the population in the top 1% of multiple deprivation.

Having done a fair bit of travelling around the world I am of the opinion that the vast majority of people in the world are kind, considerate and helpful. The diffences between nationalities is far smaller than the differences within nationalities.
snow conditions
@johnE, +1

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 11-11-14 0:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Nothing wrong with Cour-Russia-val. .. Actually bumped into some french people last time I was there,, Very Happy
ski holidays
jogi wrote:
I take Russians over Brits/Dutch any day, at least when it comes to ski resorts. I'm sure you don't agree, but worse thing anyone can get in ski resort are actually you guys, with few Dutch "skiers" added so place gets really perfect... Russians on the other side, are quite ok. Wink

Really? Where in Russia do you live?
ski holidays
Yes really, and no I don't live anywhere near Russia, unless you consider Alps as Russia. Wink
latest report
@albinomountainbadger, We are going late jan so I think it will be great. We've been to VT a few times and to be honest, have only ever had problems with the Dutch there.

@nailzstomp, We love Åre, but the problem there isn't the Russians, it's the drunken Norwegians. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
That's what alike about skiing holidays: mutual admiration between all nationalities!
ski holidays
irie wrote:
@chrisb Nope, no more.

Used to go to Courchevel 1850 but voted with our feet when the Cyrillic signage went up, the brothel opened, and certain clubs/bars became used for money laundering.

My eldest is now doing GCSE Russian so I am sure she will be able to translate if the English signs disappear
snow report
chrisb wrote:
@thecramps, have a good trip. Obviously you will not see @irie, there

Thanks. Snow and Mountains. It would be worth the trip even if we had to share a tent with Russians frankly.

Although I hope we don't have to. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Waffle wrote:

My pet hate.
snow conditions
Love to see Brits complaining about foreign nationals invading our ski resorts Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy