Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Denver in early December - any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Due to a well-timed business trip Mrs W. and I are off to Denver for a few days in early December. We're likely to tack some holiday on so we've got 4/5 days of skiing; don't want to go all that far though, so we're currently looking around the Breckenridge, Loveland type area. There seem to be a lot of resorts around there, though, and we've not been out that way before...does anyone have any tips on places to aim for?

I've read a couple of bits on here recommending people stay in Frisco and drive out to resorts - is that a good plan, and does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? I'm working on the assumption that the roads around there fairly easy driving/open despite snow...

Also if anyone's got any good tips on lift tickets in the area...I just know the US system is much more complicated than we're used to in Europe!

All advice gratefully received!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 8-11-14 12:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would play it by ear. See who has the most runs open on the day.

Loveland, Breck, Keystone, all are fair game. Yes, Frisco is the most central location. Or, you can stay at Breck too.

That time of year, I think lodging should be easy to find and reasonably priced.

It's "value season" for lift tickets. Hopefully not too dear.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lucky you, that should be a good trip. Flew into Denver in 2008 and picked up a jeep Cherokee hire car. The drive along the i70 after the flight is a bit tiring, particularly as by then it was dark and snowing, and we didn't have a sat nav. Stayed at a friends condo in Copper Mountain, just beyond Frisco. Easy access with the car to lots of resorts including copper, keystone, Breckinridge, vail and beaver creek. Some of these the parking is pricey though I guess early December you would be alright. You should probably try and take in arrapahoe basin as well.
Have you got any friends over there? One of ours dropped in on a couple of his mates and borrowed their season passes for us (i recall it was like wearing a huge medallion thing round your neck). That saved us a small fortune in lift fees as they covered most of the places I've mentioned.
Good luck!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. Sadly we don't have any friends in the Colorado area, so will just have to buy some passes...as abc says, hopefully not too pricey that time of year.

Out of interest, what's the accommodation at Breckenridge like, is it a big place?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The village of Breckenridge isn't all that big. So it's a desirable place to stay because you can often walk to places to eat. It has the advantage over Frisco that the ski area is right there (but not actually ski-in/out nonetheless). Though Frisco has more choices of restaurants, and more central if you're going to drive to other mountains.

Keystone also has on mountain lodging (maybe even ski-in/ski-out).

Copper Mountain also has on mountain lodging but I found it on the pricy side. And the base "village" is entirely made-up, while Breck is an authentic village.

Loveland has no lodging at the base.

There're quite a few more mountains within easy driving distance from Denver: A-basin, Winter Park, Eldora... But these are not known for early season coverage, unless there's a copious amount of snow early.

So, keep your eyes open and check on the coverage (base depth + trails open) closer to the time before deciding. If it's not on a weekend, you should have zero problem finding lodging for a song. (if it's a weekend, you might want to get a "feel" on price/availability a bit before hand. I'm not local to Denver so don't really know enough detail on a week-by-week basis)

You would get the best information if you ask the question on epicski.com (the US equivalent of snowhead) near the end of November. You'll get 1st hand information up to the minute on condition on mountain and roads too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the info, that's really helpful. And yes, I'd completely forgotten about epicski, will keep an eye on there (I've been keeping a vague eye on the non-euro threads on TGR too). I'm also getting much more familiar with the Colorado weather situation courtesy of Joel Gratz's blog!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did Colorado a few years ago, a friend planned it, and she did a great job for value for money/variety...

We rented a big truck in Denver, and an apartment in Silverthorne (just a town, not a ski resort, and bang on the 70 so real cheap and easy to get everywhere. Buy a liftpass that covers you for many different ski areas, and then get up early, use the interwebs to find the best snow/sun combination for you at a resort you're covered for, and drive there... Saved us hundreds of dollars on staying in resort, was more convenient, and we did 6 different resorts in 9 days.

Also, one good place we loved was Arapahoe Basin - it's fairly small, but has a real nice variety of ski terrain - and often quiet, we were told. We turned up one morning on a bluebird powder day midweek and dropped off the back (there's a huge bowl with one large lift serving it) to find out there probably no more than 15-20 people out there all day. Amazing!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 on a-basin. They probably get the most early season snow close to denver. I really like vail, especially the back bowls, but have been frustrated in the past by good mid-December conditions, but closed back bowls, as I think they were preserving it for the xmas crowd, so check if they open them before heading there. They also charged full price lift ticket to add insult to injury. I think aspen/snowmass is too far a drive, but also massive and high altitude.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ another for A-basin, was really surprised to see one of a previous posters comments about A-basin not being reliable for early season snow as that is exactly what it has a reputation for, early and late season usually has the longest season in North America as far as I heard. Great place has a feel good vibe about it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A-basin is great for late season because it gets plenty of snow and keeps it well. However, it's not known for piste skiing. Better known for off-piste. the problem with off-piste that early in the season is, it's rather a rocky mountain while other resorts are less so. So while it gets 30" of snow vs other mountain getting only 20, except it's got a lot of 35" rocks!

Loveland gets as much snow, and without the rocks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did Vail from Denver a few years ago. The main advantage is that it sits on the main transcontinental highway. I did Beaver Creek another year after business in Denver and regretted it - although it's nearer in a straight line, the journey from the main Route 6 highway was really slow and tedious. In the end going to Vail wouldn't have been any longer time-wise.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I looked into this last winter as i was 2 hours from Denver never did make it though A-basin and Loveland where the 2 i picked... will be back there again in 3 weeks for 3 months... might get a few days in who knows...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@msej449, I am confused by that, if you leave Denver on the i70 Vail is before Beaver?

We did Vail for our honeymoon in 1999. it was about a 1.5 hour drive from airport in a hire care on arrival at hire car near airport, spent a bit of time at breck and the other I70 resorts as well as a day trip to Aspen.

We did a late afternoon trip to Denver, did some shopping had food and then trucked on down the I70 in reasonable snow. Still only took 2 hours to get to vail from Denver with a gas stop.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi ansta1 - Yes, perhaps it wasn't Beaver .... my recollection is that the organiser rejected Vail because it was "further away" but by the time we got to wherever it was (north of the Interstate), we'd have been at Vail around the same time. Ah well, a Senior Moment I'm afraid ....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ha, ha, don't talk to me about senior moments...
latest report
Actually, I think it was Winter Park. On the map, it's much nearer, but the drive from the Interstate was s l o w ......
snow report
And the afternoon/evening in Denver was my first and only ever subway sandwich/sub purchase.

Just a bit of useless info.
latest report
@msej449, that's useful to know - Winter Park was on the 'maybe' list (some way behind the Breck/Abasin/Loveland trinity) on the basis it didn't look all that far.

@ansta1, will look out for the subway Wink

@II, we're hoping to ski 4th - 7th. Drop me a pm if you need an excuse to hit the slopes and fancy meeting up for a bit.
snow report
@ChrisWo, I was in the Denver area around the 7th December last year. I would echo the advice to see where the best coverage is. I skied 3 days, 1 at Winter Park, and 2 at Copper Mountain. The day I skied WP, they had just opened more terrain on Mary Jane and the Parsenn Bowl. This made a huge difference to the skiing, I'm not sure I would make the effort to ski there is these areas weren't open. The drive to get there can be quick as long as the weather is good, the Berthoud pass goes up to 11300ft, and is more "european' with lots of 'switchbacks'.

Copper Mountain was great early season last year, they had plenty of top to bottom runs open. Lessons are much cheaper at that time of year too if you are interested. I got a full days private lesson for half price!

If you are willing to drive a bit further, Steamboat Springs often gets better early season coverage, so I am told. Its a great little town too.
ski holidays
December 4-7 is still quite early so better keep a keen eye on the terrain opening in each mountain. What's "fantastic" in Feb maybe totally cr@p in December 4th!

But you may get lucky and there's a big dump. Then every mountain will be fully open and you have a hard time deciding which one to go to.

EpicSki will be your best bet closer to the time. Plenty of people who would be skiing in each mountain and reporting back on what the actual condition is like. Just because a mountain is "x percent" open could in reality mean very different thing in different mountain.
latest report
I vote WP or A basin!

Lucky you!
snow report
All good advice - jus watch out for the altitude - mild altitude sickness is not unusual for the 1st couple of days in Breck - the village is at 10000ft approx - before you get on a lift - to put that into context - that's the height of the top of the Grand Motte Funi. Denver really is the mile high city!
snow report
Good point chocksaway, breck is pretty high, only place I stayed that I was mildly uncomfortable. Eating was a little struggle for a few days. Still skieed everyday tho Very Happy
snow report
Fair point, I've heard people talk about the altitude sickness being a problem at Breckenridge. We're still thinking about staying in Frisco, which isn't quite as high (a mere 9000 feet)...though I don't actually know if it's better to stay low or to try to acclimatise. I suspect the thousand feet won't make much difference!

We came very close to buying an Epic season pass yesterday - the free days at Niseko and a couple of european resorts very nearly stacked up to a saving over the course of a season. Would have felt a bit silly though for three days!
snow conditions
Redwine wrote:
Good point chocksaway, breck is pretty high, only place I stayed that I was mildly uncomfortable. Eating was a little struggle for a few days. Still skieed everyday tho Very Happy

I think Colorado getting good snow!
ski holidays
ChrisWo wrote:
Fair point, I've heard people talk about the altitude sickness being a problem at Breckenridge. We're still thinking about staying in Frisco, which isn't quite as high (a mere 9000 feet)...though I don't actually know if it's better to stay low or to try to acclimatise. I suspect the thousand feet won't make much difference!

Aren't you in Denver for business? That would help with acclimatization (unless it's only for a single day, which I sort of doubt). A couple nights of sleeping at Denver, you should be all good to go.

A lot of the suggestions are from people who only been to the area once or twice during peak season and staying for a week or more. Your trip is a bit unique that you're staying at Denver first, it's early season, and you only have 3 days. So some of those prior experience don't apply.

Mountain: wait till you know the coverage & condition, check EpicSki for 1st hand update. While Winter Park and Steamboat are my personal favorite, I would put those on lower priority for people doing short trips due to extra mountain passes to get there. You didn't say what kind of skiing you prefer. Of the mountains along the I-70 corridor, each has strength and weakness on the type of terrain they offer.

Home base: If it looks like you'll be skiing in one mountain, then stay there. If it looks like there's good coverage and you want to ski at more than one mountain, stay at a more central location like Frisco. I personally would wait till a bit later time frame before booking. But if you're the type that feels more 'secure' having reservation in hand, do so but with establishment that has a generous cancellation policy so you have the freedom to change your mind. Availability should be quite good, so will price.

Altitude: probably not a problem if you're sleeping at Denver for at least one night prior to going up the mountain.

Transport: you'll do best hire a vehicle. A lot of us Americans do the following: reserve (no cost, no obligation) a passenger car in one rental agency and an SUV at another. Watch the storm forecast for the weekend. If there's a storm for the weekend, cancel the car and take the SUV. Or vice verse.

For such a short trip, you really need to pay very close attention to the weather. Not only to get the best snow but also avoid getting stuck with road closure if there's a storm.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 15-11-14 23:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
"ABC's" 'play it by ear is the most sound advice, period. Early December, little problem with lodging, so assess the variables in terms of weather, conditions, lodging, etc. and take it from there. As of today, Saturday, the 15th of November while there is little natural snow, the resorts are doing what they can as they always do to make artificial, the temps are cold with a cold mass having come down from Canada which has brought bitter cold and a foot or two variable of snow throughout the Rockies. As I punch these keys it's snowing and cold and the squirrels and birds and deer appreciate their respective food which I put out everyday. The next three weeks weather projections claim cooler temps so that by early December you should be looking at a variable base of 35" to 50" base once things settle which it does especially given the high radition and low humidity common to Colorado. But.............., be smart and check on-line a day, two, three before, get your ducks in a row and as "ABC' sez......., 'play it by ear'.

Ticket wise............. not that much of a savings if it comes down to it for what you're up to on such a short ad hoc basis. Two grocery chain stores in Colorado..........., King Soopers (City Market) and Safeway save you a few bucks $$$ if you buy from them at the CS counter, but again, it's not THAT much.
Keep your fluids up. And again, watch the weather. Driving around Denver is fine. It's in the mountains - above all if there's weather which will dictate whether you keep on renting or get a shuttle. One caveat................. DO NOT attempt to return to Denver on Sunday but if you do which you should not if you are not on the road by at least 10:00 A.M. From Vail, or the greater Frisco region around 1:00 P.M. it's essentially a 100 mile long traffic jam back to Denver. Drivers get mega stupid going up and down Eisenhower so maybe Loveland and Georgetown is in your future.....................

Have a nice flight.
latest report
Actually.. If there is a storm i'd avoid berthoud pass... It is not fun driving that in poor weather. We did it behind a snow plough in the dark and it was SCARY!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Aren't you in Denver for business?

Business is at the end of the trip unfortunately (would much rather have done it the other way round but couldn't), so not much help with the altitude. But I'm sure it'll be fine.

And thanks for the tips abc - I really like the sound of Steamboat, but given the time we're there I was thinking like you of trying to avoid too much driving/too many passes. In terms of the skiing we're after, it depends mostly on what there is to do. In an ideal world we'd probably be skiing inbounds slackcountry (nothing extreme), but we know this is early season so we'll be happy doing whatever...in the worst case skiing pistes is fine, and a useful way to get a feel for an area (and help decide if maybe we want to come back to CO another season).

I hadn't thought of booking car hire and cancelling (which is feeble given we've already done that for a couple of motels) - will definitely look into that.

Although the I-70 doesn't sound super-fun...especially as we were thinking about driving back over it on Sunday afternoon/evening. Is it that bad every week (even early season sans storm)? If so, I guess we might consider getting Denver-side of the mountains on Saturday evening and skiing Eldora or something. Or maybe getting a shuttle rather than hire car...I assume they still run in poor weather (wouldn't be any quicker, but would at least mean we could both sleep). Will do some research...
snow report
To ChrisWo........

Don't fret. Just wanted to give you a heads up about I-70 which on weekends is a reality. No less than five to six ski resorts/stations to choose from all but one to two hours from Denver. Shuttles operate out of Denver to most if not all locations (investigate that typically from the resort you choose........) and are a great choice if you settle on a complete resort location such as Keystone, Breckenridge or Winter Park and naturally alleviate a great deal of "wear on tear" on you and the Mrs........ I make no recommendations although with your wife and respecting a woman's preferences she alone would be BEYOND moved at Keystone, for starters................. Phenomenal skating on their (Keystone's) lake if they open it. Hope you both skate.
snow conditions
well breckenridge is already open! 4 runs and 4 lifts.

http://blog.breckenridge.com/2014/11/14/2014-15-season/

as is Loveland and a-basin I think

http://www.skiloveland.com/themountain/reports/runstats.aspx

http://www.arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/snow-conditions/default.aspx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy