Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost to swap over to Winter tyres

Poster: A snowHead
Just been quoted £100 plus VAT for a mobile fitter to do it at my house! Think I'll be going back to my local Kwik Fit (who in fairness are quite good when they agree to do it).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PollSki wrote:
Just been quoted £100 plus VAT for a mobile fitter to do it at my house! Think I'll be going back to my local Kwik Fit (who in fairness are quite good when they agree to do it).

Ouch!!

I got 4 P7's for my Passat for about £320 - fitted etc. That's just taking the p1ss....

The mechanic who looks after my cars charges a flat £20 fitting plus tyre at cost if I get them from him.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The headline rate here in the northern alps is usually 'from 10€ a tyre' but they add on for alloys and if you've a 4x4. I've yet to see how either of those things makes any difference, but there you go.

I change tyres on rims twice a year. Never found anywhere selling rims for less than 50€ a corner and last time I bought some I sold the car within a year...

The cheapest I've paid for the swapover is 66€ for four tyres mounted at Speedy in Thonon, closely followed by the old Renault garage in Méribel Mottaret at 70€.

The most expensive was 114€ at Junior Pneu down in Sallanches, followed by First Stop near Saint Tropez for 110€.

So it is definitely worth ringing around rather than just walking in thinking they're roughly all the same!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, even up here in the Alps where people change tyres a lot, some garages are funny with tyres they haven't sold. The Mont Blanc garage near Morzine will change anything provided they aren't new. He says they won't take the risk with new if they haven't sold them because the cheap Chinese internet-bought ones sometimes explode during fitting.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Run Goodyear vector, all seasons, all year round and buy a new pair every November, even if they are not worn out, it's less expense and hassle than getting them changed, getting confidently through snow that had 4x4s on summer tyres floundering.
We have found that having slightly narrower tyres for the winter is not always best in deep snow, our s-max on 225/50 tyres sinks into the snow less than our transit on 195s.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tangowaggon, according to Continental at least (I read it on their site when choosing tyres this year), the theory about having narrow tyres for winter is old hat and discredited now.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Changing wheels over is about 200-500SEK depending on place. Fitting and balancing won't leave much change out of 1000SEK.

At home in the garage, cost of impact wrench 400SEK, grease 15 SEK, hard work 2 and a half hours (I'm slow since I don't just whip them on and off, I check them, clean the wheels and so on). In 2 seasonal changeovers I've already paid for my gear even at the cheaper rates of changing over.

A balancing machine would take a while to pay off at about 10,000SEK, so when it's time for new boots it's still a garage job for me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I paid £200 for a second hand spare set alloys five years ago at my Honda dealer. The dealer swaps the wheels over and stores them at each change, and has never charged me a penny for it. (I didn't even buy the tyres from them.)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found that steel rims can be thrown in with your winter tyres at £38 a pop... I think I will go for that this year instead of running the Nokians all season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oooo.. just found Nokian A3s at a 98 V rating for £85, given that I can get three years all year running out of a set is it worth swapping to steel after all? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarpa, Good tyres them, very sure-footed in the wet and on snow but not so sure about their ability in the summer. They'll work but your braking distances will increase at higher temperatures. I'd swap them over to preserve their life. I am a Nokian fanboy in the winter, running Hakkapeliitta Rs in the winter on one and Hakkapeliitta 8s on the other, non-studded on our car that might see the Continent, studded on the one that usually sticks to the Nordic countries. Absolutely no need for those compounds in the UK, even in North Wales!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Do people buy a set of four winter tyres or five to include the spare?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nailzstomp, They are rated as an all season tyre. I ran their predecessor, the WRG2 all year and found it pretty good in the summer, I noticed that you can get them screeching around corners more than summer tyres, I'd probably say that you could get 20 to 25 thousand miles out of them. However, I'd change them early if using them as a winter tyre of course due to the loss of tread depth.

@RobMSki, I believe that most people don't, as a spare is really just to get you to somewhere where you can look at repairs. And if your tyres are worn you don't really want one that is several mm larger than the other three Confused
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, I use them in Austria in the winter so it's a little harsher than the UK.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No spare for me. Worst case with a front puncture I'd swap two tyres around to get the spare on the rear and the snow tyres on the front.

Gave my new ones a test coming home last Friday:

Only had then fitted the week before! Gone for the Continental Winter TS830s this year.
latest report
£100+VAT is having a laugh for fitting - I paid about £7/rim for mine; and bought the tyres online. Balancing with allows is more expensive because of the different type of weight. They probably cost the same to buy, but there we are. 4x4s are more expensive because you can afford it you you've got a 4x4 - and for no other reason! If you're really tight, just take the rims and tyres to the fitting centre - they won't know what they've come off then!
snow report
£68 plus the guy stores my unused tyres. Seems reasonable for the time it takes
snow report
JeanPaulValley wrote:
I have mine changed at my BMW dealership, I bought the rims and tyres from them. They change them and store each season summer/winter for £30.

That's about the only reasonably priced service I have ever had from them!

Bought them 3 winters ago after my wife spun it on a snowy December afternoon, never snowed since!

BMW dealerships happy days, why do they feel the urge to charge extortionate rates, made me laugh in any event.

I bought a set of alloys complete with snow tyres off ebay [have a look & you will find plenty for sale] for my E class merc. Bought new boots had them fitted & balanced for £10 each & I swop them over myself, have done for the last 3 seasons.
latest report
Just got mine done. Ended up going back to Kwik Fit as I didn't have much faith in the local garage. Cost £52 including valves, balancing and nitrogen inflation (which I hadn't heard of before). They tried to sell me alignment for about £30 extra, but didn't bother with it. I'll look into steel wheels next season.
ski holidays
My local tyre fitter (independent) stores the 2nd set of tyres free of charge and then charges £6 per corner to swap them over.

Good deal I say

Getting General Grabber AT2s on my Defender which I will leave on all year round and Michelin Arctics on the wife's Evoque which we will swap back in Spring
snow report
I generally time my annual service for late autumn and throw the winter tyres on wheels in the back. They get swapped for free as part of the service. In the spring I just do it myself.

On the question of a winter spare I don’t bother but I hate the supplied space saver spare so in Winter I have one of my full size summer tyres as the spare and in summer a full sized winter one as spare. It has to be better driving on three winters and a summer than three winters and a space saver. In summer I don’t think you would notice the difference unless in full Formula 1 mode
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy