Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cost to swap over to Winter tyres

Poster: A snowHead
The cold night we have just had has reminded me that I should swap my summer tyres over to the winter set soon. This will be the third season that I will be swapping over to winter tyres. In the past, I have been to Kwik Fit (where I bought the tyres) and they charged me £60 to swap them over, although they tend to grumble that they do not usually do this unless they are selling you the tyres. I did use a local garage once, who charged £50, but I had to get them rebalanced afterwards as they did a terrible job. My question to those of you in the same boat is where do you go to swap over your tyres, and how much does it cost?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago at a small independent who charged me £10 a tyre, the rims a spare set and weren't on the car though so maybe a little more if he'd had to jack the car up too. The price doesn't seem to have altered in over 10 years.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 6-11-14 17:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cost me £5 per tyre when I got a service & MOT at the Skoda dealer in Dumfries on Monday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PollSki, previously a local garage who charged me around £50 but did a good job

Now - just run winters all year. IME they don't wear that much more quickly and I save the cost of swapping them over.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£40 at the local ATS, just had it done last week
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A couple of years ago I got some cheap spare wheels and put winters on them and got a trolly jack for £60, so free now, apart from the hour it takes me to do it!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Our local dealer charges about CHF 150 and stores the unused set through the season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jeeezuz....cant you do it yourself?? Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, dont have the kit, and dont have a spare set of wheels, I get the tyres changed each time
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
€20 per tyre is the going rate in the Arve valley, if you are unlucky this is PLUS TVA!.....there is places roumoured to be doing €15 per tyre........and the mobile one who quotes €8 but is hard to get hold of Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hang on - are we talking tyres or wheels here? Tyres - ok fair enough, mucking about with old school tyre levers is a PITA if you're not doing every day and you'd often as not knacker the bead or the rim or both if you get it wrong. But if you're just swapping the wheels then I'm in the unenviable position of agreeing with Stanton...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways, yes you are right i get the tyres changed with one set of wheels. The summer tyres are now in my garage
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Likewise I was talking tyres on one set of rims

Ideal solution would be to have 2 sets rims but didnt have cash at time
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unless you're hooning about in a Tim Westwood pimp-wagon or similar, a set of 2nd hand steels are what? £15 a corner?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My local place is £5 per wheel for pretty much anything. Even including fitting vintage tyres with inner tubes. Just find your nearest part-worn supplier for this kind of work, the likes of Kwik Fit don't want to touch tyres they've not sold you, and frankly they make enough money already.

That said, storing tyres uninflated and not on a rim isn't a great idea. The pressure stops them from getting out of shape, and if left for a while many tyres will get a long way out of shape. As they get older they lose the ability to get back into shape, which is why you might have needed the wheel rebalancing - but then when the tyre warms up when used the balancing will be off.

So the set of steels on ebay for £50 is probably worth it, and avoids having to change over tyres - also taking tyres on and off it is fairly easy to damage the bead and if you are storing the tyres you may as well have wheels inside them!
snow report
Thanks all - looks like I'll just look for a better local garage to do this. I'm talking about swapping the tyres themselves, not the wheels.
snow report
We get ours done at the VW dealer we bought the car from. I can't remember how much we paid last time but no more than £50 total for four tyres. Need to book it in again.
snow conditions
I may look in to getting the steel wheels, as this could save quite a bit of money over a few years if they really are that cheap.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, agreed that are not expensive, but I didn't have the cash. Now I've found that leaving winters on all year works for me.

Just a note to anyone changing over to steel wheels - this will class as a modification to your car in the eyes of your insurers so make sure you tell them. Some will charge you a premium for this, others have realised it makes sense and won't, but I would advise telling them
latest report
70CHF at my local garage to change the tyres (not wheels) - no storage though, they just go into my cave.
latest report
@Boris, As long as the wheels you change to are the correct specification for your vehicle then you shouldn't have to inform your insurer. 'Correct specification' means that the wheel size – diameter, width and offset, and conforms to the vehicle manufacturer's specifications. Don't forget that winter tyres generally have a lower maximum road speed - while this won't normally matter as it'll exceed almost every speed limit you'll find, remember this if you're taking the autobahn anywhere or are particularly fond of poking the loud pedal firmly and progressively...

Oh and as for insurance in general, the Association of British Insurers issued a statement about it a few winters ago...(linked)
latest report
I pay £40 for my local mobile tyre fitter to come round and do mine. Need to ring him soon and arrange to get them done.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, That link is for tyres only, not different wheels. My own experience with Churchill was that they would charge a premium for changing to steel wheels, so personally I would inform insurance company.
ski holidays
The response I had dug out from old thread

Boris wrote:
Quote:

Dear Mr Boris wink

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

I have reviewed your policy details and can confirm the information given over the telephone, is correct. The steel wheels increase your compulsory excess from £50.00 to £300.00 and your premium by £75.55 for the remainder of the year.

Should you require any further help, please e-mail us or alternatively call the relevant telephone number below.

Yours sincerely

NAME Removed
Customer Service Assistant
Business Support

web: www.churchill.com
email: car.customer.service@churchill.com
car telephone no: 08456 033 550
fax number: 020 8313 5361
opening hours: 8am-9pm Monday to Friday
9am-5pm Saturday and Sunday

[/quote]
snow report
My OH put his winter tyres on this morning - he bought a large jack about three years ago so he is able to do them himself. He keeps the winter tyres on steel rims so just changing those. Same as me - I have winters on my car on steel rims but they have been there since this time last year as I do a very low mileage and OH didn't seem inclined to swap them over.
My good news this morning was that while the tyre changing episode was going on in the garage I opened an e mail to find that I appear to have won a set of winter tyres in the Goodyear competition that I entered at the Ski Show last week. Just waiting for more details from them now. They will go on OHs car as we will be off to the Alps in December.
snow conditions
@Boris, that is, frankly, appalling. Wheels to manufacturers specification should NOT incur any additional charges to the policy. BAD DOG CHURCHILL! BAD DOG!
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, It was a few years ago so they may well have changed their stance now, but for the sake of a phone call my personal view is that it is worth checking
snow conditions
Admiral allowed it with no extra charge.
Mind you - I provided Toyota customer services email stating that it was acceptable practice (rim size change) so they couldn't really argue
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is pretty normal round here to buy a set of steel rims with the winter tyres on. They take up no more space to store and then you can just swap them yourselves.
They are pretty cheap too! I bought my last set of boots with the wheels together on reifendirekt.at for about €110 a corner delivered.
latest report
Regarding insurance, I need to inform Direct line when I swap over the tyres. There is no charge for the change but they count it as a modification. (edit: excuse multiple posts, I'll try to delete)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 6-11-14 18:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Regarding insurance, I need to inform Direct line when I swap over the tyres. There is no charge for the change but they count it as a modification.
snow conditions
Regarding insurance, I need to inform Direct line when I swap over the tyres. There is no charge for the change but they count it as a modification.
ski holidays
ski holidays
4 times, once for each Happy
snow conditions
Yes, sorry, posting from Android was not as smooth as I thought!
snow conditions
In the past I had a problem with the Dealer claiming that changing to a different type of tyre would cancel the manufacturers warranty on the vehicle!
snow report
Its around 100-120 CAD here in Calgary. Everything involving local people is expensive here. its gone up recently as I now have tyre pressure indicators.

I've shopped around and its about this price everywhere
snow report
I bought my first set of winter tyres from a local one man operation about 10 years ago. He was so chuffed with the notion of someone buying winter tyres that he insisted on changing them over each season for free. After a few years he accepted some cash for it - but only £10. I then got some rims off ebay and have done it myself most times since but managed to get another local independent to do the change for £20 cash one year when I didn't fancy the job myself.
Being prepared to leave the car with them for them to do the changeover during a slack period can open the opportunity for a cheap rate.
latest report
Local tyre place (Selectatyre) here in Lincs charges about £50 to fit all 4 winter tyres onto the same rims, which includes new valves and balancing. They also store our winter tyres over the summer, and vice versa so no need to store them in my garage. It always seems a little steep when paying, but suitable steel rims seem hard to find for my elderly gentleman's large merc estate, at least in this country. When I do see any they're much more expensive than the smaller sizes and don't seem worth it. Tyres are the same sizes as summer and on the same alloy rims so insurance is fine.
ski holidays
I have mine changed at my BMW dealership, I bought the rims and tyres from them. They change them and store each season summer/winter for £30.

That's about the only reasonably priced service I have ever had from them!

Bought them 3 winters ago after my wife spun it on a snowy December afternoon, never snowed since!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy