Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian $1 billion ski lodge "in avalanche zone"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
'Jumbo Glacier Resort', now under construction in British Columbia, is being reported today in the Canadian media for all the wrong reasons ...

National Post: http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/11/05/jumbo-glacier-resort-building-1-billion-ski-lodge-in-dangerous-avalanche-zone-b-c-new-democrats-say/

The Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/proposed-location-of-jumbo-glacier-resort-raises-avalanche-concerns/article21451733/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That would be a bit of an "oops" now wouldn't it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All hugely political. Jumbo has taken decades to get started due to environmental concerns etc. So no surprise if spanners still being thrown.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What he said - they're not dealing with real things, it's political.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My friend has asked me to post this here, his brother lives in Canada with his wife. I was unaware of this until he informed me, I'm personally not sure what to think as I would feel a little bit hypocritical opposing something in another country and also as a skier/snowbarder I have benefited from many similar developments so I don't feel I have the right to strongly oppose something like this. However I like and respect my friend so I am posting what he asked me and will leave anyone interested to make up their own minds.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/the-new-localism/Jumbo-Wild
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, @philwig,

+1

It's VERY political. There has been a running battle between developers, local indigenous people and environmental activists over this for a very long while. I would note that Patagonia has a long history of green activism. Sometimes this is justified, in other cases it is totally in left field.

Basically it's up to everyone concerned to make a decision based on sound evidence. I'm sure that Canadians are able to do this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I sometimes find the Patagucci environmental warriorism a bit irritating given that the most profitable business is in selling high end (fashionable) soft goods & therefore are implicitly relying on ephemeral consumerism. Indeed there would likely be a significant overlap in Patagucci consumers with users of any new Jumbo resort. But I think at least they are consistent and trying to do the right(on) thing.

Personally I think that Jumbo probably isn't a terrific plan because its a bit too isolated from major airports and you have to drive past a lot of good skiing to get there (assuming not everyone heli transfers in). Plus the BC interior has had 2 major resort extensions/conversions in the last 15 or so years (Kicking Horse & Revy) and AIUI neither are really bringing in the big levels of destination tourists - (although possibly because the terrain is just too tough for the average punter)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Plus the BC interior has had 2 major resort extensions/conversions in the last 15 or so years (Kicking Horse & Revy) and AIUI neither are really bringing in the big levels of destination tourists

I think one of the reasons they have been able to get so far is that fact that it will offer year round skiing. There is a huge race market/demand for year round skiing in North America, and I suspect that has been a driver so far in so far as getting permissions in that it offers something different.

But I agree that without a large local population the resorts seem to struggle somewhat
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The phrase, " $1 billion ski lodge" caught my eye.
I thought one of the World's super-rich was splashing the cash but apparently, it's a bit more than a 'lodge'.
It's a "...proposed $1-billion year-round ski resort". Phew!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I sometimes find the Patagucci environmental warriorism a bit irritating given that the most profitable business is in selling high end (fashionable) soft goods & therefore are implicitly relying on ephemeral consumerism. Indeed there would likely be a significant overlap in Patagucci consumers with users of any new Jumbo resort. But I think at least they are consistent and trying to do the right(on) thing.

@Dave of the Marmottes, I agree to an extent, but isn't it better that they use organic cotton, traceable down, recycled plastic etc than not?

The film is worth a look, it's not the one sided rant I was expecting. The bear population bit was interesting.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy