Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there a difference between skiers jackets and snowboarders jackets?

Poster: A snowHead
Just tried on my brand new purchase from TKMax earlier today and notice that there is a small logo on the sleeve that depicts 3 snowboarders carrying their boards. So, I'm now guessing that this wasn't intended for the usual skiers market. Whoopsie Embarassed Embarassed

It is a Westbeach jacket and I liked the colour and feel of it. It did strike me as being a little longer than usual, but I put that down to a possible fashion change (my current jacket being 8 seasons old).

So, is there a difference between jackets for each?

Will I be immediately viewed as a snowboarder and shunned by fellow skiers, while also being shunned by snowboarders because of the planks on my feet?

Should I take it back?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Minimal difference - snowboards jackets are usually longer for better ass coverage, as they spend more time sitting down!

Personally I prefer a slightly longer cut, whether it is technically a 'ski' or 'snowboard' jacket doesn't really bother me. If you like it, keep it Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ray Zorro, no. Only however the brand markets themselves. How long they're cut varies more between brands than between targetted sports.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Ray Zorro, maybe the question you should be asking is How do I feel about cross dressing, and Am I prepared to become a one planker? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ray Zorro, we should get together: I ski with in boarder trousers with boarder gloves - more comfortable and tougher than standard skier stuff.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ray Zorro, although it fits you have you checked to find that it is actually marked up three sizes smaller than you usually buy? wink NB. Don't forget to team it with similarly baggy pants which scarcely cover your rear end and have a crutch that hangs down around your knees wink wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cover the logo with a piece of Duct Tape (various colours are available...), hides the snowboarders and makes you look 'HardCore' !!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...or just embroider a red line through two of them as though you're crossing them off and on the lookout for the third. Wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 5-11-14 21:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
@Ray Zorro, we should get together: I ski with in boarder trousers with boarder gloves - more comfortable and tougher than standard skier stuff.

Not really. Most of the higher end technical stuff is marketed more at skiers. Key word being marketed as there is really no difference in requirements, other than maybe a reinforced patch on the inside around the ankles for skiers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
Cover the logo with a piece of Duct Tape (various colours are available...), hides the snowboarders and makes you look 'HardCore' !!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes.

About £150 a pop. Boarding kit is better value and looks better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ray Zorro,

Nope not too much difference but don't blame anyone here if you start looking a bit Goofy ! while sliding around NehNeh
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ray Zorro, Go on ebay, buy a "sponsors" badge like Audi/Mercedes/Milka/Swedish-Bank/ Ski-Austria and cover up the snowboarder logo. Blush
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I never thought there was a difference until I skied with a boarder who managed to split the *ahem* rear seam of their ski trousers (cue much sniggering followed by an impromptu in-resort shopping trip). Apparently they're baggy for a reason Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Your sideways-snowsliding jacket is probably most remarkable on the inside where it will have pockets for goggles, a phone, an iPod (and cable routing), a spare beanie, and a 24 hour supply of pre-rolled marijuana cigarettes.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 6-11-14 9:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Thanks for all the comments guys.

My mind has been put at ease!
snow report
@Ray Zorro, You're perfectly attired - now all you have to do is get rid of those ridiculous planks, throw away those crutches and embrace the One True Edge and slide towards a glorious, better tomorrow. HALLELUJAH BROTHER!

@albinomountainbadger, for several years a friend of mine had a FourSquare jacket called the Sixpack so named because you could quite comfortably accommodate six cans of beer in the various stash pockets and not notice.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@albinomountainbadger, for several years a friend of mine had a FourSquare jacket called the Sixpack so named because you could quite comfortably accommodate six cans of beer in the various stash pockets and not notice.

I'm guessing he'd notice six cans of beer in a crash though...

A lot of snowboarder stuff is well thought out though, my old 686 pants outlasted a lot of salopettes and they even had a tiny multi-tool and beer bottle opener stashed in a little pocket on the ankle. Cool
snow conditions
You're supposed to get rid of them by the time you're off the first lift of the day.
Integrated bottle openers into zip pulls and discrete little 'hidden' pockets were a mainstay for a while... It's like they think we're all about beer and weed.
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, Aren't you though Happy - I thought all the sitting down and poor control was due to intoxication of some sort Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, well it is odd that only snowboarders have those little straps on their gloves isn't it? Nothing to do with always taking them off to roll a cheeky one on the lifts is it...? wink
ski holidays
@albinomountainbadger, far be it for me to promote the stereotype but we were on a lift in Whistler and the guy next to us turns around and says "Excuse me, do you mind if I smoke?" "No problem" says us, and he proceeds to hand-raise and consume a joint you could choke a horse on...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy