Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Or Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
New to the forum, thought id pick all your brains...

Me and 2 mates are looking at either Chamonix or Tignes for the beginning of Feb next year, we did Avoriaz last year and loved it but wanted to give something different a go. We're all snowboarders of Varying levels, 2 of us are pretty good whilst my other mate came for the first time last year and id class him still as a beginner.

I've heard that Chamonix is a bit more spaced out and geared towards the more high level boarders? Also with either resort should we worry about snow coverage/conditions?

Any help any of you can give would be much appreciated. Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're all at different levels then you might struggle a bit with Chamonix, as people might prefer different areas, making it very hard to meet up during the day.

At the beginning of Feb you don't need to worry about conditions anywhere - you'll be fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mtaylor, welceom.

Neither should be a worry regards snow.

Tignes vs Avoriaz (both high, purpose built resorts) is not so different as Chamonix (real town) vs Avoriaz,

Your likely issue with Chamonix is that beginner areas tend not to be so very close by the main skiing (Brevent and La Tour being the exceptions) - so meeting up with your mate who's only ridden for a year at lunchtime or for immediate post ride beers would be a little trickier.

That said, I don't really know where the beginners slopes in Tignes are and if the rest of you are off playing over at e.g. Solaise (Val d'Isere), getting back to Tignes for lunch is unlikely to happen anyway, I'd think. So maybe not such a marginal call...

I would suspect that Cham has better night life but then I haven't partied in Tignes since 1984 ( Shocked Shocked ).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From my very limited experience of Chamonix as an early intermediate skier 11 years ago i'd avoid there if you've got someone with you in a similar stage of boarding as others have said with the area not being that well linked you'd either be limiting yourselves or taking him to an area that he might not enjoy/cope with. That said i'd love to go back now i've got plentyy of weeks under my belt but i'd probably make sure took the car.

I've been to Tignes many times and is probably my favourite area to ski - very snowsure, easy access to slopes/lifts with lots of varied terrain. The area between Tignes and Val d'Isere has lots of greens and blues and plenty of stuff to play in between the pistes (they've got a pretty good snowpark in that area too if that's your thing) and below that area is various difficulty runs down to the Le Daille area of Val that the 3 of you would be able to do and enjoy together and if you're lucky with fresh snow there's some great tree runs down to there too.

As to nightlife i'd say Tignes is on a par with many other french resorts so not exactly wild but busy enough with plenty going on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the input Smile

We're all 20 somethings so its not like we wont have a beer or 8, but its the powder we're all going for!

We did think that about Chamonix and where we were looking was in the Sud area due to it being much cheaper, which seems to be a bit out the way.

If we did Tignes, we'd get the Local lift pass to begin with then just pay a supplement for a couple of days to venture out a little further.

Im glad the snow will be fine for both, I heard sometimes that Chamonix can struggle earlier on.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will you have a car? If not and given the difference in ability I'd go with Tignes.
And I really like Chamonix
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jedster

Nope we wont have a car its just going to be a case of getting around through local options be that shuttle buses etc.

I think our mind is pretty much made up with Tignes now, from what you guys have said and not wanting to scare off my mate who's a beginner and the fact the place In Tignes is Ski in/out, whereas with Chamonix we'd be based in Chamonix Sud.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mtaylor, If you were comparing Cham Sud, I'm going to guess you are looking at Tignes le Lac, which would mean no buses etc. Cham Sud would, it's cheap for a whole number of reasons. None of them, IMHO, good ones Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name,

Ive just checked and its in Val Claret? Im not well versed on the locations so whats that like in relation to where the action is so to speak?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As I say, @Mtaylor, I haven't partied in Tignes for some time but was there beginning of season before last for a pre-season weekend. Val Claret considered a bit more up market I think in general, certainly will be enough bars and things and it's not a long walk to le Lac if you must. We walked over to watch some game or another.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tignes has free buses 24 hrs/day, so no difficulty getting from Val Claret to le Lac & Lavachet (and back!).

See also this thread:-
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112996
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mtaylor, Have a peek at the Tignes thread in the snow reports section. Chocksaway has compiled a useful list of links. You won't be very far from a lift in Val Claret. Free buses link the three higher "villages" of Val Claret, Le Lac and Le Lavachet. These run 24hrs but on a much reduced frequency in the evenings. You can also walk across the frozen lake when conditions allow. The area is great for skiers and boarders. Very few "flat spots" and walk-outs on piste. Boarder-X track, park freeride area etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mtaylor, I'm sure you'll have a ball wherever you go. "Chamonix Or Tignes?" is not really a question. It's like asking: "Nicole Kidman or Isla Fisher?"

"Tignes in February, Chamonix at Easter, or the other way round?" is a question.

Regardless of the question: "Chamonix or Tignes", "Chamonix then Tignes", "Isla Fisher or Nicole"- the answers are all the same- do both…. wink wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ed123, doing Chamonix and Tignes at once would surely be more of a challenge?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mtaylor, Tignes would be great for you as it's such a large area and plenty of more challenging runs in fairly close proximity to easier stuff to suit your group. I would recommend getting the whole Espace Killy pass though as it would be a pity for you to miss out on some of the areas on the Val d'Isere side
ski holidays
@under a new name, as would doing isla and nicole but youd still git it a good bash! Happy

Partying in 1984?!! were you celebrating my birth Happy
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, Uni Ski Club week. So I am afraid not. Mind, you, it was quite a week.
snow report
Happy i can imagine!
snow conditions
Thanks for the help all! Very Happy

Booked Tignes this morning, managed to get flight/accommodation/transfers & Lift passes for £660 (31st Jan - 7th Feb). The apartments probably not all that great but the fact we only care about sleeping and somewhere to store our stuff its completely adequate.

But I've only just realised its my friends 26th whilst we're out there.... I think a couple of hangovers might be on the cards!

Very much looking forward to what Isla Fisher has to offer, Nicole will have to wait Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Mtaylor, as you've got a great deal and it's a birthday week I'd stretch to a sno bunnie or two Happy
ski holidays
Been to both a few times. Beer wise, Chamonix a winner hands down. (Just an opinion of someone who likes Austria!!!) Ski / board wise, Tignes is probably a winner. Beginner areas are either in town at Val Claret, or up above Tignes Le Lac, on the way to Val. There are bunch of blue and greens between the two resorts. So I would suggest with your tilt toward snow over beer, Tignes wins.
I am not sure what the cost difference is but you may find all area is cheaper than local, plus upgrades. Check it out. My instinct would be Espace Killy to ensure you have the flexibility. There is of course great skiing in the Tignes area alone though.
ski holidays
@PeterGee, Thanks for the input. As much as the beer and cheap wine will be important, we'll favor the snow I think! Very Happy

I've just been speaking to a guy at work and he said when he went getting around in Chamonix (especially Sud) wasn't as easy and the lifts we're quite outdated? The Local was about £80 than the area one when booking I think, I've been told you can upgrade to an area pass when you arrive so I may just do it that way Smile
ski holidays
Just another quick one if I may, Crystal ski are offering the Area pass (6 Days) with Ski carriage for £254. If I go through the Tignes website itself I can get them for 260 Euros which works out to about £200.

If I didnt want to buy them online and wanted to get them from one of the places in Tignes would they still offer the price at 260 Euros do you think? Or would I be better to just spend the extra £20 and get them from Crystal?

I know its only a small saving, but my mates are making me do it on a budget after all! rolling eyes
snow report
@Mtaylor, I have no answer about the lift passes, but I suspect the budget will be blown (literally) if you do as @ansta1, suggests Happy
latest report
both are very good. Chami=onix is more nice city, but tignes better ski area. But any way, here you are link how to get to chamonix https://www.transfers-in-europe.com/destinations-FRANCE-Chamonix/ have a nice trip
snow report
Quote:

Chamonix (especially Sud) wasn't as easy and the lifts we're quite outdated?

My nearest lift (I am so very, very not in Cham Sud) is 2 minutes walk away and was brand new 3 seasons ago. (What does lift age matter anyway?)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy