Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif Offpiste / Side / Backcountry

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Heading with a big group to Samoens this year in the Grand Massif. But myself and friend are really keen to go off and hit some really nice spots that are hopefully abit steeper than what the resort has to offer.
I've heard the Combe De Gers is a great place to start off, maybe check out Sixt, riders left of the top lift... Someone also mentioned Pointe de la Golette, although this looks like a serious tour.

Basically after any Guide itineraries, sweet spots to hit off the lifts, nice tree runs taking back to Samoens etc etc.

Its a shame there isn't more of a dedicated place with which to find more about the off-piste of many Euro resorts. Whistler has entire books on the runs!
PisteHors is OK but lacks alot of content.
Anyone been who can comment? Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hire a guide for a day I know the area pretty well and visit pretty frequently, if you don't know where your going you can end up getting yourself into trouble and best case a long walk out. If you do venture out make sure you've got the correct kit and avi knowledge.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@adharwood, avoid the holes.

There are many sites covering the various areas, just typically in the local language. Much like Whistler really.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do have the necessary gear and confident navigating such terrain. Will likely will take a guide for day one depending on avi level / snow conditions.
Am very familiar with the area as a resort as I lived there some years ago.

However coming back to the place with a more adventurous take on it I'd be really keen to read up on some spots to hit, and be able to chat with the guide about them!

Do the areas I mentioned ring any bells?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@adharwood, avoid the holes.

There are many sites covering the various areas, just typically in the local language. Much like Whistler really.

Yeah fair enough! Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yes to combe de gers.

we also skied down to SIXT at the end of a day but i just recall a very long piste down followed by bus back.

this came up in a previous thread: http://www.olizane.ch/article.php?IDrecord=106
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@adharwood, clearly the Grand Massif isn't a hotbed of off piste activity. I'd love to help but it's not a place I've been.

There is also perhaps a reluctance among some to encourage people to strike out on their own.

Hope you find some challenges Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
THere is plenty. Dare I say that the SCGB has really good off piste courses based in Flaine? I have done 2 and it is good for several reasons:

1. the pot holes- keep people away from the off piste
2. the proximity to Chamonix
3. the easy access to lift served off piste
4. The proximity of some quite challenging slopes in proximity to the pistes so
5. You don't get completely psyched / scared shitless

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 5-11-14 20:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@adharwood, often mentions of grand massif off-piste cite the fact that the limestone plateau is in places riddled with eroded holes, like @under a new name warned you of. You could be lucky, as I was a few years ago and enjoy a massive powder day in blissful ignorance. Or you could get unlucky ...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Theres only a relatively small area which has the holes but if you're with soneone who knows the area well then there is lots of good off-piste which is there for quite a few days after a dump if you know where to go.

So get a guide is the answer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
try one of these 2 :

http://www.ecole-ski-flaine.fr/index.php/fr/ Phillpe Clerc - rubbish english on website!

latest video here, mostly in Gers:

http://youtube.com/v/_ZV6dk1cke8

http://www.freecimes.com/freecimes_eng_prices.htm - Manu , also a partner in the Pente a Jules restaurant.

Both superb. Book earlier - don't expect to get anywhere with them the night before it starts dumping.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy