Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Low profile ski helmets?

Poster: A snowHead
Last winter was my first season skiing, so some of my gear was bought on a 'this will get me started' premise. This includes my helmet, a Trespass number from Decathlon for 20 quid. Lately I've been dusting off my stuff for a few warm up sessions in a fridge, and noticed that my helmet:

- doesn't fit very well; now that I've tried it without the earpads I realise they are a major factor in keeping it stable!
- is pretty heavy, at least compared to the few more expensive models I've fondled in Ellis Brigham
- makes me look like I'm about to take a run at the Death Star i.e. lollipop head.

With the obvious caveat that I need to try it on to eliminate the first problem, could anyone recommend any particularly low profile helmets that preferably don't weigh a ton? I have to admit, I do question why my ski helmet which generally protects me from snow and the occasional ice patch is so much thicker, heavier and more robust than the MTB helmet which I expect to protect me from lots of rock and trees. Ideally under £100, but will consider more if it's spot on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a huge variety out there so it really comes down to finding something that fits that you like the look of. I wear a Salomon Ranger Custom Air and I find it very comfortable. Done around 10weeks with it now and it's starting to look a little tatty but it still feels good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only important factor is fit. No matter how light how low profile or how much you like the colour if it does not fit your head it is useless.

After saying all that the Sweet Protection Rooster is pretty low profile very very high quality, multi impact, 500g weight but not cheap. Hopefully others will come along soon and recommend other low profile lightweight helmets so you can see if any fit your head shape.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So good he said it twice.

But he's right.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been after a new lid myself, popped into RXsport.co.uk which is up the road from me and tried these on.

Anon Blitz low profile peaked 480g under £100
Berni Kingston 500g just over £100
Girol Montane small peak, plenty of venting, Giro's style Boa fit and just over £100
Scott Quiver, under £100 comes with MIPS
Scott Chase, just over £100 comes with MIPS
Smith Vantage and variance, more bang for your buck.

Think I'm gonna go with the Quiver, fitted well and sat low. rolling eyes Worth checking out their sale aswell.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just get yourself down to your local store for 100 quid you should be able to get pretty much any helmet except the high end ones. I've been wearing quiksilver helmets for a few years now as they're one of the lightest and most comfortable I could find.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Something I found when trying on helmets was they all looked massive. I ended up with a Bolle something or another because it fitted best. It looked massive until I put the goggles on, when it (and subsequent other trials) made the helmet look a lot smaller. Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rogg wrote:
Something I found when trying on helmets was they all looked massive. I ended up with a Bolle something or another because it fitted best. It looked massive until I put the goggles on, when it (and subsequent other trials) made the helmet look a lot smaller. Puzzled

This.

Helmets look wrong without goggles; but fit is always king.

Sail and Ski in Chester have an excellent and wide ranging stock of ski helmets and took a lot of time with me getting the most appropriate fit.

Nick
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We both have Salomon helmets, husbands was a replacement for one that felt gave him a lollipop head - both low profile and not ridiculously expensive.

Ditto taking your goggles when you buy, not only to check for a good fit, but also, your helmet rally does look different when you have your goggles on. I was sceptical at first but it's true.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Smith Variant, which seemed fairly low profile compared to others I tried, as well as being the best fit for me.

That said, often the helmets I tried on were at lunchtime at work, with work clothes on, so they always looked daft. When I finally bought my helmet I was in resort in my ski gear so it was bound to look more natural, although it was definitely still a better look and fit on me than all of the others I tried that day
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apologies for the late reply, been busy. That's a fair proportion suggesting Salomon which I never really considered, will definitely take a look. A mate of mine also has a Smith which looks pretty good, although he takes a small helmet anyway, I'm generally Med. Local shops seem to stock a lot of Giro, so no harm in trying them on.

I agree with the goggle statement, it does help, however I still feel a bit like a 70s sci-fi extra in the Trespass (added to the fact the fit isn't great)!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Smith Maze. Light (the lightest they claim) and low profile. Loved mine until I smashed it. No one had any Maze left in stock half way to through last season so I've got a Holt now which is also nice just a bit heavier.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Taurig, I find weight was a major factor in me adopting a helmet full time after about 35 years skiing. My old one weights at least twice my new one with no noticeable difference in volume or claimed protection.

I have a RED Avid (not sure still in production) which was only €50 in 2012.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm on Smith Holt as well - the only helmet that fitted me after trying on *all* the ones I could find at one of the ski shows. Decent price too...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Red no longer in production as I have just tried to buy a replacement. Bought a Scott Tracker £75 and the lightest helmet I have tried so far. really pleased with the purchase. The fit is far far better than my old Red Helmet.
snow conditions
@snow2go, R.E.D. Was a Burton brand that only existed for some weird trademark reason. I guess the reason has evaporated.
latest report
Taurig wrote:
Apologies for the late reply, been busy. That's a fair proportion suggesting Salomon which I never really considered, will definitely take a look. A mate of mine also has a Smith which looks pretty good, although he takes a small helmet anyway, I'm generally Med. Local shops seem to stock a lot of Giro, so no harm in trying them on.

I agree with the goggle statement, it does help, however I still feel a bit like a 70s sci-fi extra in the Trespass (added to the fact the fit isn't great)!

I have a GIRO G10 which I bought in sale for £60 so £100 will get you sorted. If you have goggles then try them both tougher. The guts at EB are great and will advise you. However, if you feel the nee to get new Goggles then get over to Blues (at TISO behind Caledonian Uni). They have some very good own bran. One of my favourite goggles were ether top of the range at £35. Try on both together.

No point in getting helmet or goggle if they don't fit your head when worn together.

I'm having a clear out soon (goggles are Dragon XS and the GIRO helmet). If you want to wait a few weeks you can have them for free.
snow report
PS If anyone in Glasgow wants the above items (if @Taurig, doesn't want then then then PM me).

Price is £0
snow report
@glasgowcyclops,

Quote:

The guts at EB are great and will advise you

such a good typo it was worth preserving!
ski holidays
Quote:

If you have goggles then try them both tougher. The guts at EB are great and will advise you. However, if you feel the nee to get new Goggles then get over to Blues (at TISO behind Caledonian Uni). They have some very good own bran. One of my favourite goggles were ether top of the range at £35. Try on both together.

In fact the whole thing is a small keyboard dream.

So it's tougher to get goggles and a helmet together, up in Calendonia they have a unique accent and very good breakfast cereal and prices that will knock you out! wink
latest report
Happy Yep predictive text on my Mac and a haste to type.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy