Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfering custom footbeds to new Atomic Hawx 100

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I`ve just bought a pair of Hawx to replace my 6 year old Nordica speed machines. I have gone down a size and the Hawx were definitely the most comfortable pair of 4 that I tried, with no heel lift at all. Once they were chosen, my old custom footbeds were transferred over, but I only tried them on again briefly before heading home.
Wearing them at home, my right (slightly larger) foot was uncomfortable on the sole and toe, which was not the case with the oe ones. Upon inspection, the right custom footbed has a defined ridge across it, just back from the 1st toe joints.
Should I just run with the oe new ones, or will I regret this having used customs for 6 years ? Would the ridge have been caused by overheating on dryers, as my liners are always pretty damp each day.
Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@cstreat, custom footbeds shouldn't be put onto resort boot driers if you want them to last, so my guess is that they have over heated a little and when you have put your foot in you have wrinkled them a little or...
the footbed is still a little long for the new liner and it is causing A the liner to be deformed (causing the toe issue) and B the footbed to have the ridge in it (causing the underfoot problem)

either way you should have more space in your boots with a custom footbed than with any stock sock liner.

First thing is that the ridge can probably be removed using a heat gun and a bit of care, it may have been part of the original mould but now your foot is in a different place it doesn't sit in quite the same place on the footbed, removing it will not affect anything in that area other than to increase comfort.
Secondly check the footbed is not too long, just a mm or 2 too tight and it will deform the liner and cause the problems

Thirdly...if all else fails it is time for a new footbed, at 6 years old your feet may have changed a little, you now have a good fitting pair of boots why not treat them and yourself to a new footbed, why settle for a lesser fit than you can have (i do have to ask why the fitter didn't sort this in store?) Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cstreat, I had my custom footbeds transferred to my Atomic Hawx when I switched from Salomon boots a while back. The bootfitter checked them before I tried them and I think we did tweek them a wee bit. The bootfitter also checked to see if they were still OK for my feet and was happy they were. As he is a personal friend of many years he was brutally honest when it came to me faffing about what to buy and whether to go down the customisation route. Several snowHeads have also bought boots from him as well and seem very pleased with the results. I'm looking at replacing the Hawx now as they are getting on for 5 years old and have seen a lot of use all year round in that time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. I think they probably overheated, and it seems a bit tight to not have a new pair of footbeds to go with the new boots. Dry liners separately then !! I`ll try to tweak them, keep as a back up, and have some spanking new ones. To be fair to the fitter, I was comfortable at the time, and they looked marginal
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM may disagree with me, @cstreat, but I have very sweaty feet and my boots see ~60 days a year, almost invariably drying on something similar to these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trendworx-1127-Electric-Warmer-Dryer/dp/B002Z5682C?tag=amz07b-21 which works reasonably well. Mine are porbably 8 years+ old hence why I can't find a quick link.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I already have a low heat air dryer, but it takes all night!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@cstreat, why is that a problem? My boots are almost always (these days) off and drying by 18h30. So if it takes all night (I have no idea how long it does take) I don't care...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, no issue at all with low heat driers like that...it is the big resort /rental shop ones that do the damage
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, Because everyone else wants to use it !! Many thanks for the usual definitive advice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy